• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reverb

Share/Bookmark

Reverb

I want to ask if anyone hasn't any reocrding of any tune (preferably orchestral) made with standard libraries (MV,AO,QLSO, VSL, GOS.. just anything) used with Lexicon 480L reverb standard hall? I still have no idea how this monster sounds with known libraries. Especially what is the difference to PCM90/91 which people here have used on some compositions. It would be great to hear it.

Re: Reverb

90 and 91 are absolutly different units, as well as 480.
    Most orcestral scores made by 480/960.

Max Head: In terms of basic reverb 90 and 91 are exactly the same. 91 has new additional dual programs, etc. Yes, you're right, most orch. scores are made by 480/960. But usually pro scores played with real orchestra. But here at forum with sample libraries - I've heard only compositions with Lexicon PCM91 (or less - PCM81, MPX1/550/200..). But I never heard anything done with usuall sample libraries and with Lex 480L/960L, or at least 300 or 240. I'm very very curious how would it sound. So, really nobody here with 480L, or at least 300,240?

Quote Originally Posted by Dis
    Max Head: In terms of basic reverb 90 and 91 are exactly the same. 91 has new additional dual programs, etc. Yes, you're right, most orch. scores are made by 480/960. But usually pro scores played with real orchestra. But here at forum with sample libraries - I've heard only compositions with Lexicon PCM91 (or less - PCM81, MPX1/550/200..). But I never heard anything done with usuall sample libraries and with Lex 480L/960L, or at least 300 or 240. I'm very very curious how would it sound. So, really nobody here with 480L, or at least 300,240?
    i have a 300, which is awesome. i've heard my stuff thru a 480 which was also totally awesome (same chip i think?), but not enough to make an objective comparison. (i've heard other's 91's which sounded quite good too of course).

my guess is that with sample libraries, you're better off served by learning how to use whatever reverb you have effectively, rather than buying your way into a great sound. i've heard some pretty impressive results with the convolution verbs and even a lex 500. i think it's all in the tweaking.

that being said, i love the sheen my 300 adds after i convolve my instruments! (but i really doubt springing for a 480 is really going to give you a decent cost benefit return, unless you get a killer deal on one.)

happy verbing!
    john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Thanks for the reply, John.

Yes, 300 is closer to 480 than is PCM91 to 300. I totaly agree that right use of any reverb and tweaking is most important. But I'm just very curious how basic large or concert hall sounds on 300 or 480 with sample libraries, that's all . I only know how it sounds on PCM and MPXs. (I know that great results can be achieved with many reverbs, including software ones.)

So I want to ask - do you have on your web page or somewhere else any demo that uses sample libraries only (no live instruments) and exclusively Lexicon 300 hall (and not many different reverbs)? I would be most grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dis
    Thanks for the reply, John.

Yes, 300 is closer to 480 than is PCM91 to 300. I totaly agree that right use of any reverb and tweaking is most important. But I'm just very curious how basic large or concert hall sounds on 300 or 480 with sample libraries, that's all . I only know how it sounds on PCM and MPXs. (I know that great results can be achieved with many reverbs, including software ones.)

So I want to ask - do you have on your web page or somewhere else any demo that uses sample libraries only (no live instruments) and exclusively Lexicon 300 hall (and not many different reverbs)? I would be most grateful.
    Dis: it's been awhile since i've done any mixes with just the 300, so let me think and see if i can remember any that use just that. i will say that the 300 is notoriously hard to program and the presets aren't that great, so i had an engineer buddy come by and set some up for me.
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum