• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Mac backwards compatibility (or lack thereof)

Share/Bookmark

OT: Mac backwards compatibility (or lack thereof)

I recently picked up a Mac in order to use a few applications, one of them being Antares Infinity. All new Macs come with OSX, apparently. So after a few weeks the software and the machine finally arrive - I spend money getting all the proper peripherals and cables, and hook the little box up. I pop in the CD and.. it says I need OS9.

So.. now what? I looked around on Google and I didn't see OS9 being sold anywhere. Is there something I'm missing, or did I just waste $500 when the only way to use this software is actually to buy an old, used Mac?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: OT: Mac backwards compatibility (or lack thereof)

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    I recently picked up a Mac in order to use a few applications, one of them being Antares Infinity. All new Macs come with OSX, apparently. So after a few weeks the software and the machine finally arrive - I spend money getting all the proper peripherals and cables, and hook the little box up. I pop in the CD and.. it says I need OS9.

So.. now what? I looked around on Google and I didn't see OS9 being sold anywhere. Is there something I'm missing, or did I just waste $500 when the only way to use this software is actually to buy an old, used Mac?
    All G5 Macs have a "Classic" mode but you cannot boot the computer from it. Some OS9 apps will run under Classic but ones that need to address the OS at the root level, like Logic, will not.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Well, this is a G4, and while it does have a Classic mode, it says that in order to use it I have to actually have OS9 installed first. Kind of defeats the point if you ask me.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    Well, this is a G4, and while it does have a Classic mode, it says that in order to use it I have to actually have OS9 installed first. Kind of defeats the point if you ask me.
    your computer should have come with an "extras" disk along with the OS disk. somewhere on that disk should be an option to install "classic".

that being said, a lot of audio apps won't run in classic mode, only if you boot into os9. don't know about yours tho. if there's not an osx version available yet, that doesn't bode well for the future of the app...

some apps also come with installers for both os9 & osx - are you sure you're using the correct one?

there's lots of this kinda info on the web about this stuff, tho you usually have to sift thru a lot of garbage, just like with any other topic. the mac-centric sites (macfixit, xlr8yourmac,macworld,etc) are probably a good place to start, or just keep asking questions here.

hth,
    john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Go Back to forum