• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO and EWQL

Share/Bookmark

GPO and EWQL

Hi folks - still leaning towards PO but then I find that EWQL is now half price ($145) - Can you nice folks help me see the advantages of PO?

Thanks

Re: GPO and EWQL

GPO and EWQL
    Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan
    Hi folks - still leaning towards PO but then I find that EWQL is now half price ($145) - Can you nice folks help me see the advantages of PO?

Thanks
    You'll have an infinitely better library...

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    You'll have an infinitely better library...

Kind Regards

LouisD
    Thanks Louis - when you say say "better" do you mean "more" or better "quailty" - From what I've heard thus far PO seems to sound better to me. I can only buy once and I want it to be right.

Your thoughts?

thanks

I've owned GPO for quite some time and recently bought EWQLSO Silver because of the low price.

I haven't spent alot of time with EW, but I don't think there is a way to get great expressiveness out of it. I may be wrong, but I believe it only responds to velocity and has no mechanism for crescendo and diminuendo the way GPO has with the mod wheel. If this is incorrect, somebody please correct me. I'd love to get more dynamics out of EW. GPO can be very expressive because of the mod wheel control.

As for sounds, I like the piano on EW better. The choir included with EW is not so great. Just a couple basic sounds. This was one of the reasons I bought it, but was disappointed. Some of the EW sounds are a bit more aggressive than GPO and will come in handy. But I love the GPO woodwinds and strings.

Overall, I love GPO and was underwhelmed with EW though I did get some new sounds that I will use down the road. I'd say go with GPO and supplement it with dedicated instruments such as a piano, choir or brass libraries depending on your needs and desires.

Hope this helps.

John

Wink Re: GPO and EWQL

Continue to scan this forum, read users comments, listen to demos, and free updates. Not to mention unheard of support not only from the developers but the plethora of intelligent, competent, talented users of GPO!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan
    Thanks Louis - when you say say "better" do you mean "more" or better "quailty" - From what I've heard thus far PO seems to sound better to me. I can only buy once and I want it to be right.

Your thoughts?

thanks
    Well, I also own Silver, and like John says, I was very disappointed with it's quality. It's got some good points, but in my opinion, GPO is way ahead in terms of sound quality, expressiveness and ease of use. Silver is downright tedious.

Kind Regards

LouisD

I have GPO, Silver, Gold. If you need to get one overall library - get GPO. Silver is dissapointing. Gold is good but too heavy to carry around, and takes a lot of work. If you get GOLD, you will want to also get GPO

Silver has some very good points. I think the solo strings sound very good but they are not looped so it is hard to get long sustains out of them. The winds in GPO are superior to Silver in my estimation and as someone already said, the articulations in Silver are pretty limited (i.e., no pizz for individual string sections or even a solo viola or contrabass). in this regard, GPO has more consistency across the boards. Of course, there is a Silver Pro expansion coming out which addresses several of these articulation deficiencies. But then, GPO Advanced will be coming out (soon, I hope) which will add even more value to an already amazingly comprehensive library.

I could not get any of the strings to work convincingly with Silver. Gold to me was a totally different animal. They were both difficult to use.

You are going to get a lot of Pro-GPO responses here, for the obvious reasons, and I cannot legitimately tell you about silver, since GPO is the only lib I own.
    But - let me say this: listen to the user demos of both libraries and ask yourself which sounds the best TO YOU. You are the one that has to be satisfied. There are some libraries (like VSL) I would love to get. There is no reason this has to be an "either this or that" issue. Well, it does if you are short of money. But rather than asking which is better, ask which sounds the best to you.
    That being said,
    In terms of PLAYABILITY and expressiveness, GPO cannnot be beat! It is easily worth TWICE as much as the current pricing. You will find immediate playing satisfaction when playing with these samples.

This forum is the second half of the value of your purchase. You will never find a more friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and supportive group of misfits ANYWHERE! Some are downright PROS, and others are very good amateurs, others are just starting their journey into sample libraries. And chances are, if you have a question, either it has already been asked and answered in this forum - (which is one of the easiest forums to navigate, search and etc., I have ever found), or you'll get an answer soon by someone.

Post a demo and get immediate and helpful feedback and constructive criticism. The depth of the constructive criticism depends upon what you are asking for in terms of feedback.

The whole goal of Gary with his products and this forum is to help YOU become a better musician. You become a better orchestrator and arranger by learning how to effectively use his fantastic libraries, your compositional skills can be improved in the GPO Academy. And besides, where else will one find the humor of Styxx? If you haven't already discovered him, do a forum search and you'll soon see why I say that!

Anyway - wow - long tagent there.

Choose which best will serve your needs and tastes. But IMO, you can't get a better lib for the money than GPO.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum