• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: M Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI controller...

Share/Bookmark

M Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI controller...

Hello my fellow GPOers! Well, I'm looking into getting a new MIDI controller to replace my Korg Karma and Novation SN II, and I want a controller that has a really good "real" piano action feel to the keys in the $500-$700 range. So far, the M Audio Keystation Pro 88 (the silver one with all the knobs) looks the most promising. I did a search and found that there are a few people here that use this model, can you give me some feedback (pros/cons) about the controller.

My main concerns are: 1) is the weighted key action good and believable, and 2) is there aftertouch with the keys? I'll be using it through a MOTU 828 MK II card on a MAC dual G5, OS X 10.4, 2 gigs RAM, 410 GIG HD, etc. Thanks in advance!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: M Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI controller...

No aftertouch. Its a piano keyboard

The action is OK for my needs. Although, I could use a bit better feel. I don't know what to compare it to, so it's livable for me. And you cannot beat the price. Its almost overkill for me. I also had a Oxygen 8, which I sold on ebay...and now I just bought an O2 which is nice for carrying around with a laptop. I use my other keyboard for my DAW work

Thanks for the info! I think I'll order it and see how it works for me. I have two pianos here at my house and I play everyday, that is the only reason I might get weird about the action on the MIDI controller. I guess I will see. Thanks again!

Well, cappy...look around a bit more. Really, if you can, get out and see one first

I tried the Keystation 88 and thought the action was pretty lame for a piano. I imagine you could work with it but it won't have a good piano feel. If you are a pianist you might consider a Yamaha P60 for your piano board and also get a less expensive midi controller keyboard. You get what you pay for.

Exactly you get what you pay for. I went with the pro 88 when it came out because i didnt have Goobers of $$ and a full 88 key controller with semi-weighted action...this was a saviour. I'd still go with it again. However if I had 2K to spend, I would definately jump up!

Great info here, I appreciate it! I ordered the pro88 and I know this may be backwards, but I'll go try it at a Guitar Center today and see how it feels. I just need to get the 9V power cord now. Thank again!

1) Semi-weighted - dont be dissapointed, as true action has more feel

2) pro 88 doesnt need a 9v power if you use USB2 to computer

Yes pro is hammer action, but IMHO comes up short. Still its a good price for 88 keys of controller...

Thumbs up Re: M Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI controller...

Get to a musak stowa and play one fer yaself. Having heard about the Pro 88 I took off to Guitar Center and tried one out fer size. Comparing to my old Roland FP 8, 88 hammer weighted pianie, the accidental keys on the Pro 88 were lower and felt a bit cumbersome. Whatever, I decided to continue to try others before making a decision. Wouldn't recommend any one. I feel it comes down to your own personal preferences, likes, wants, needs, spinach, and olive oil! Much luck and wishes.
    Styxx

Go Back to forum