• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jazz drums

Share/Bookmark

Jazz drums

Hi,

I am a jazz piano player (bebop, mainstream and swing mostly) working in my Cubase SX - Halion based home studio. I normally play in trio, quartet or possibly quintet constellations i.e. with upright bass, drums, ac. piano, jazz guitar and vibes.

Since I am not a drummer I am constantly in hunt for good jazz drums and I found earlier the Brush Artistry samples contaning loops and fills of various kinds satisfying mostly my needs.

However, I would like very much to find similar jazz loops and fills etc. with rides accompany in tempos from 100 up 200 bpm, in order to vary and create more intensity to my middle and improvised choruses in the various songs.

I have tried Groove Agent and other software but without finding the real thing.

A sample collection like Brush Artistry for rides would be very handy I think.

Someone having any suggestion?

Keep swingin´

Bruno

Re: Jazz drums

Drummer Peter Erskine has a collection of sounds and loops out called "Living Drums" - on Sampleheads label. It comes in both gigastudio and audioCD form - at least. I own it, and I'm mainly a drummer myself. I think I understand what you are after and this one would probably fit your needs fine.

demo: http://www.tascamgiga.com/sounds/mp3/erskine.mp3
    (it's quite a bit more jazz oriented than the demo shows)
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Hey,

I'd recommend you check out BFD . Theres some good jazz kits in there like the Ludwig among others. As far as others I know garritan is comming out with a Big Band library .

Cheers,
    Johnny - FXpansion Audio
    www.fxpansion.com

Hej Tomke!

Thanks a lot! I think this is what I need.

I think I shall buy this and try it out.

Hjärtliga hälsningar

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Drummer Peter Erskine has a collection of sounds and loops out called "Living Drums" - on Sampleheads label. It comes in both gigastudio and audioCD form - at least. I own it, and I'm mainly a drummer myself. I think I understand what you are after and this one would probably fit your needs fine.

demo: http://www.tascamgiga.com/sounds/mp3/erskine.mp3
    (it's quite a bit more jazz oriented than the demo shows)

Thank you Johnny!

As I am an amateur on this can kindly tell me what BFD stands for.
    Where can I find it to check it out?

Cheers,

Bruno

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_FX
    Hey,

I'd recommend you check out BFD . Theres some good jazz kits in there like the Ludwig among others. As far as others I know garritan is comming out with a Big Band library .

Cheers,

BFD

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-xfl-main.php

I can second the Erskin Living Drums CD. It's about 10 years old now, but the Jazz loops have sooo much feel... I guess that never goes out of style!

Highly recommended, especially for the fast be-bop stuff.

Check this out- http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/
    I've ordered these loops and will let you know how they sound when they arrive.
    I am a jazz player(vibes, primarily) and these loops are BY FAR some of the nicest "feel" out there. The artist who performed these loops has a great sense of time. I have EVERYTHING made(erskine,brush artistry) and these seem complete. Erskine is great but limited_not enough BPM choices. Brush artistry_way too much bass drum-IMO. And as a bonus- VERY reasonably priced. Their company philosophy is that samples ,in general are too expensive so they insist on charging a fair price. Say what? First it's Bela D media . now this? What the hell is going on here!! : )

http://www.betamonkeymusic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by onurbnosslin
    Thank you Johnny!

As I am an amateur on this can kindly tell me what BFD stands for.
    Where can I find it to check it out?

Cheers,

Bruno
    Well the B is for Big and the D from Drums . We'll leave it up to you what the rest means. It was an 'in development' name that kinda stuck . What Jaimo linked to is XFL which is an expansion for BFD. Also highly recommended to expand your drum sound. Theres also 8bit kit and a few more expansions in the pipeline. Theres also a bunch of midi grooves included in BFD for music out of the box, flexible drumloops if you will hehe.

Cheers,
    Johnny - FXpansion Audio
    www.fxpansion.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Drummer Peter Erskine has a collection of sounds and loops out called "Living Drums" -
    They very well recorded, but there is not sufficient quantity of loops on any one tempo/style to be very useful, IMHO, though the kits are great to add your own flavors on top.

What I DO recommend is Stylus RMX with the Brush Artistry (and possibly the BetaMonkey lib, I just ordered it - too bad it's not in Rex format, I have to buy reCycle soon to finish off these libs. Actually, if you put Peter Erskine into Rex, there might be enough with RMX to make a great drum track.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    ... but there is not sufficient quantity of loops on any one tempo/style to be very useful. /../ What I DO recommend is Stylus RMX
    Yes, I agree there. The loops are good, but a little too few to make a living dynamic drumtrack. Also, the single hits don't always match the sounds in the loops very well, and that's a pity.
    Stylus RMX is indeed one of the most powerful things around today. As a contrast to using the Erskine disk as a resource, RMX is huge in almost any way. No doubt it should be able to do the work, but .. it IS huge

I've got one of those homemade CDs that you've had for ages and you're not really sure where or who you got it from. There's some homemade gig-files on there but also an old Gretch drumkit using both brushes and sticks - 3 small gig files like 10 mb or something. That kit is one of the most realistic "old style" drum kits I've heard. I've been seeing stuff around, written about Nemesys having jazz kit samples of a gretch kit or something like that. Somehow I just got the feeling that this kit may have been on sale from somewhere, so I've never really dared to use it other than experimenting with.

The sound of the kit is dry as a bone and closely miked, each cymbal and drum on its own. High pitched toms and a small, slightly boomy kick. If someone happens to recognize what this kit might be, perhaps that person could tell something about it, cause that would certainly be a kit to use for small group jazz things - although no loops.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum