• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: smooth note changes (violin)

Share/Bookmark

smooth note changes (violin)

very basic question here.

say i have a violin, when i play one note then play another like this.

how do i get a smooth flow between these notes.
    control channels?

any advice....

Re: smooth note changes (violin)

Best: use Pedal in GPO.
    Next best: Lengthen the first note slightly, to overlap the second.

You can also try increasing the velocity. If the volume C1 is up, then a low velocity (less attack) means the note has to crescendo very, very quickly creating a sort of inverted sucking sound. At least, I think that is the culprit. I've found if I up the velocity, the strings are much more legato.

I may be way off base, but it works for me.

Good luck,

R. Pearl

You can add a touch of portamento (CC#19 or CC#20).

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    You can also try increasing the velocity. If the volume C1 is up, then a low velocity (less attack) means the note has to crescendo very, very quickly creating a sort of inverted sucking sound. At least, I think that is the culprit. I've found if I up the velocity, the strings are much more legato.

I may be way off base, but it works for me.

Good luck,

R. Pearl
    so cc1 (modulation) does not effect the sample played or attack or anything.
    chaning cc1 is just like turning your speakers up, meaning the vsti treats cc1 simple as a "master volume" and not as "playing the instrument softer" correct?

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    chaning cc1 is just like turning your speakers up, meaning the vsti treats cc1 simple as a "master volume" and not as "playing the instrument softer" correct?
    I think so, but I am coming to this knowledge in bits and pieces. I hope someone more informed can chime in with some definitive information.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

R. Pearl

Incorrect. Master volume is controlled either by the volume knob in the player (set to default values initially for each instrument) or cc7 if that contoller is activated in the player's Options menu. Here are the most basic controllers and their functions:

Mod Wheel (cc1) = volume/timbre changes in "Expressive" instruments (sustaining woodwinds, brass, and strings.)

Velocity = attack strength in Expressive instruments or volume/timbre changes in Percussive instruments (piano, pizzicato strings, most percussion, etc.) Velocity is only active on the non-legato layer (sustain pedal up.)

Sustain Pedal (cc64) = Legato mode. Legato mode smoothes transitions between notes when the sustain pedal is depressed (cc64, value 127.) With woodwinds and brass instruments that becomes the difference between tongued and slurred notes. In the Standard version of GPO the player's pedal mode must be set to the second choice (MIDI cc) for this feature to work properly. In the Finale (Notation) version this function is controlled by cc68.

For more detailed information on these and other controllers please consult the manual, the Garritan site Tips and Techniques section http://www.garritan.com/tips_tutorials.html and various tutorials available as
    "stickies" in this section of the forum. I have a flute tutorial near the top of the page that covers much of the information you need.

Because many of the controller conventions that GPO uses depart from standard MIDI usage you need to read the available material on the subject. Also, watch the interviews on Sonicstate. I cover many of the basics of GPO usage and philosophy in my part of the interview: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=2289

Tom

very basic question here.

say i have a violin, when i play one note then play another like this:

how do i get a smooth flow between these notes.
    control channels?

any advice....
    There are two basic approaches to this in the Standard version of GPO:

1. As Poolman stated above, the sustain pedal, while in "MIDI CC" mode, is designed to smooth transitions between notes when the sustain pedal is depressed (value 127.) This can be combined with note overlaps, the use of higher values of cc21 (length control), and the micro-manipulation of mod wheel (cc1) data to achieve very smooth transitions.

2. As RPearl states above (with one clarification on pedal position) velocity controls the attack strength of notes so note overlaps combined with careful choice of velocity values can also work to smooth transitions. This only works with the sustain pedal up (value 0.) Once again, cc21 and cc1 can be applied to further refine the results.

Portamento data can also be added, as Nickie suggested, for effect, but that should be done after the desired smoothness has been achieved using the above approaches.

Also note that in the Finale (Notation) version of GPO the suggestion in #1 above should substitute cc68 for cc64 and the pedal mode remains fixed in the first choice (standard sustain.)

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    There are two basic approaches to this in the Standard version of GPO:

1. As Poolman stated above, the sustain pedal, while in "MIDI CC" mode, is designed to smooth transitions between notes when the sustain pedal is depressed (value 127.) This can be combined with note overlaps, the use of higher values of cc21 (length control), and the micro-manipulation of mod wheel (cc1) data to achieve very smooth transitions.

2. As RPearl states above (with one clarification on pedal position) velocity controls the attack strength of notes so note overlaps combined with careful choice of velocity values can also work to smooth transitions. This only works with the sustain pedal up (value 0.) Once again, cc21 and cc1 can be applied to further refine the results.

Portamento data can also be added, as Nickie suggested, for effect, but that should be done after the desired smoothness has been achieved using the above approaches.

Also note that in the Finale (Notation) version of GPO the suggestion in #1 above should substitute cc68 for cc64 and the pedal mode remains fixed in the first choice (standard sustain.)

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the clarification(s). I have had little success with CC21; but as I found, higher velocity for strings makes it more legato. It's kind of counterintuitive, though: one would think a gentler attack would yield a more legato line. Live and learn!

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    . . .but as I found, higher velocity for strings makes it more legato. It's kind of counterintuitive, though: one would think a gentler attack would yield a more legato line. Live and learn!

R. Pearl
    Rather depends on the particular instrument being used. Section strings use layered short bow attacks as opposed to solo strings that modify attack strength through the use of a flex envelope (no layering.) There are variations within type as well. The point is to find a velocity value that matches the attack strength to the sustain level so that conspicuous "bumps" or "dips" in amplitude detract as little as possible from the smoothness of the note-to-note transitions.

Tom

Go Back to forum