• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: anyone buy/use MOTU Symphonic Instrument yet?

Share/Bookmark

anyone buy/use MOTU Symphonic Instrument yet?

I have heard the Jordan Rudess demos as well as the individual instrument demo patches and some of the samples sound really good. This might be a nice complement to the EWQLSO and VSL stuff I have. Does anyone have this set yet???

Re: anyone buy/use MOTU Symphonic Instrument yet?

Yep. I've got it. It is really incredible for the price. The early instruments and pipe organs are amazing. As are the pianos. Definitely worth adding to your orchestral arsenal!
    Tony

I'm curious - I bought this a couple of weeks ago and I haven't been able to get it to work with my system, it installed ok and opens fine in Sonar but when I load a sound and play a note the sound is all distorted and buzzy. It also sometimes crashes/freezes my system and forces me to shut down/reboot. I have quite a few VSTi's installed and have never run across this problem. So far, tech support haven't been able to help me and I doubt I'll hear back from them anytime soon. I was wondering if anyone else might have run into this. I don't want to monkey around with my settings as I'm afraid that my other plugins will stop working - my setup is as follows:

P4 3.2 Ghz with 1.5 Gb RAM
    Edirol SD-90 audio interface via USB
    Sonar 4 PE

other plugins:
    EWQLSO Silver
    Colossus
    RealGuitar
    GPO
    Sample Tank 2 Free
    Synful Orchestra
    Bosendorfer 290

most plugins are Kontakt based, but not all, and they work perfectly so I can't figure out why this one doesn't.

The demos indeed have some special moments and all together the library sounds great, especially considering the price. I really like the feeling of space in the demos. Are the samples dry or is there some ambience in them? No release samples, right?

I suppose that the demo mp3s don't use any other reverb than the built-in convolution. What does the included reverb feel like (both processing and samples)?

There's a high-pitched noise in some of the demos, especially on the Guitar 2 in the Preset Examples. It sounds continuous so it most likely doesn't come from the samples. Can someone confirm that the samples are clean of the high noise?

Is there a list of instrument articulations and convolution samples available somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by davecos
    I have heard the Jordan Rudess demos as well as the individual instrument demo patches and some of the samples sound really good. This might be a nice complement to the EWQLSO and VSL stuff I have. Does anyone have this set yet???
    Where are the demos, anyway?

Ah, motu.com, duh.

Another edit...

I just listened to all the demos including the individual instruments demos.
    I feel pretty confident saying this thing kicks ~~~.
    Based on one screen shot, it appears to be light on dynamic layers which sucks.
    No fancy legatos or anything, but the TONE of the instruments is on the money.
    I gotta get me one of these...

From what I've been able to hear, even through the distortion, is that there aren't a lot of dynamic layers or fancy performance settings, but there are a lot of harp and string glisses and effects, extensive percussion choices (taxi horn?) and other things that more than justify the existence of this library.

I just ordered this from my local music store. The pianos alone are worth it. And I like the bite of the strings. The celli section in particular has more edge to it than the other libs I have. It will be a nice complement.

How are the quality of the fast bows?

How is the quality of the brass (ensembles and solo)? I already have QLSO Gold and some VSL via giga3 and kontakt, but I'm not completely satisfied yet.

Is there a list of articulations available? I don't see any listed at the MOTU site.

Thanks in advance,

judging from what I heard on the website, the downbows on the strings sound good both section and solo instruments. I need something with a good bite and also some decent solo strings.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast