• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: SIBELIUS 4 is the best notation software to date!

Share/Bookmark

SIBELIUS 4 is the best notation software to date!

Let me tell you all that I don't usually brag or talk a product up unless it really does something special and Sebilius 4 is something special. I just got it in the mail yesterday and I have never seen any other notation software work this well, I mean well. In the span of one day I have smiled and laughed out loud from the enjoyment of composing with this software.

I have used Overture and Finale and they can't get even close to what Sibelius does and with ease. I use it on my MAC computers and it is flawless. It works with GPO studio very well and I haven't been this happy since I got GPO. I suggest that you all at least take look if you haven't already. There are so many featrues I have never ever seen before and everything that was promised in this product was delived and more... so uncommon in the software world today. Now, I'm off to more composing!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: SIBELIUS 4 is the best notation software to date!

Fine. How about GPO optimization? VST integration? Cresc/dim on held notes? All are supported by Finale 2006 and Overture 4, but this is still missing in Sibelius, even in version #4.

The 2 real big steps in Sib 4 are Video support and linked parts. Zero support for GPO, alas. Thus, while I understand your enthousiasm for some new features, I don't think there is so much to trumpet about, as far as GPO is concerned. This is Garritan forum , after all!

R.

Me agree with Robert? Never thought I'd see the day. But I do. There's much more to herald in with the other two. Although the Dynamic Parts and Video are nice, the playback hasn't advanced to the degree the other two have.

I think the best notation software is different for everybody, and it is the one in which you are most productive in. Each will have its own set of strengths and weaknesses . . .

That said, Overture 4 looks like it will be the best!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

We watch closely where the market is going and we gauge our users interest for ideas on what to incorporate. I hate that Sib. beat us to the video integration since we thought we'd be first, but no matter. We have incorporated a lot of features that working VI composers/musicians need and will continue to do so in a timely fashion. I can almost promise you that provided the release of Overture 4 generates enough interest, video will be provided in version 4 as a free point upgrade for our users. We already have midi time code implemented so its only a matter of time. And don't get me started on Version 5.

If we only could get that freaking scroll view then Neo would be happy. I won't be happy until he is.

yea I have to agree Sibelius 4 is by far the best Notation software out there I like how the company has focused more on Notation and Scoring then going another way with the software developement. I mean Production I'll just use Sequencer for that.
    Still I use Staff paper a lot for composing. I have to agree that GPO works well in Sibelius to get a some what idea of what the music would sound like by the performers.
    ja ne
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I still hear from American publishers that they expect the Finale file format when you send them your work.

If you are European, however, and want your stuff published, then Sibelius is the way to go.

My information comes from published composers who have checked their options with either package. I can't say which is better, just which I prefer. lol
    Apples and Oranges(or Windows) as usual.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Good stuff here, yeah I understand everyone has their thing, but I used Finale and overture and they are too quirky in nature for my taste. Maybe for a simple piano piece or string quartet, finale and overture will do, but for big orchestral scores or student work sheets they lack so much.

When I use GPO studio with Sibelius, it works great! I don't see any problems there. I realize that GPO studio records now, but Sibelius records to audio straight out of the box with a Kontakt player and video sync right in the software, all this for under $250 (academic), that is a deal!

I do realize that this a GPO forum, I come here b/c I purchased GPO, love it and I do have the right to speak of notation software, GPO isn't a notation software, right?

All I am saying is that Sibelius is the most powerful user friendly notation software I have used which includes the best features I have seen so far, like the score scanning software which really works correctly and such. While I still compose 90% of my stuff using paper and pencil, I enjoy composing with Sibelius and I guess that is all that really matters

Please excuse my excitement, I didn't mean to come off as being rude or anything like that! I apologize, I do realize that Sibelius is not the only notation software around I'm just very impressed by it and I will say no more on the subject. Happy composing friends!

Hey there Capt Hook I am with ya on Sibelius and "Peter Pan the Movie" is one of my favorite movies LOL ! yea it is....That movie is just Damn Cool!
    I acutally like the Score(not the underscore) great stuff!
    Funny about all these score programs they still do not beat paper But doing Scoring there right on, since it's pain the butt to even order the score paper for scoring Still I think for Mochups you need Sequencer.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum