• Register
  • Help

Topic: Networking

Share/Bookmark

Networking

I've successfully slapped together a decent computer for the internet, which will free my giga pc of horrible things that make its life miserable. I've successfully networked the two computers directly to one another. As soon as I get another network card, I can plug the net-box into my cable modem for delivery of files. Couple questions:

Is the above the way to do it? Or should both computers be plugged into a router?

I do not want a second monitor. I'd like to use remote desktop to access my net-box from my gs-box. Is this feasable (Rem. Desktop eat resources....?)? Or should I maybe get one of those switcheroos for using 2 boxes with one kybd, monitor and mouse?

Thanks in advance,
    Belbin

Re: Networking

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I've successfully slapped together a decent computer for the internet, which will free my giga pc of horrible things that make its life miserable. I've successfully networked the two computers directly to one another. As soon as I get another network card, I can plug the net-box into my cable modem for delivery of files. Couple questions:

Is the above the way to do it? Or should both computers be plugged into a router?

I do not want a second monitor. I'd like to use remote desktop to access my net-box from my gs-box. Is this feasable (Rem. Desktop eat resources....?)? Or should I maybe get one of those switcheroos for using 2 boxes with one kybd, monitor and mouse?

Thanks in advance,
    Belbin
    The router question would depend on what the network is to be used for. If you are only transferring files it probably makes no odds, but if you are to be sending MIDI and/or audio then you should have a crossover cable, or preferably a switch.

Regarding Remote Desktop, I have all 3 slave computers on this system and have had no problems.

D

The purpose is for general net usage (e-mail etc) and for file transfer (wav, mp3, video, midi files, cakewalk bundles etc)I'll probably set up some ftp stuff eventually).

I already have a crossover cable to linke the two boxes, but I want to keep the music box completely offline.

So I'm on the right track? Computer to computer and net computer to modem, w/net computer accessed by music computer via remote desktop?

Thanks,
    Belbin

So your net computer has two network card?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    So your net computer has two network card?
    It will, as soon as I grab a second one. Waiting on a friend to dig up an old one he has in a box somewhere.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    The purpose is for general net usage (e-mail etc) and for file transfer (wav, mp3, video, midi files, cakewalk bundles etc)I'll probably set up some ftp stuff eventually).

I already have a crossover cable to linke the two boxes, but I want to keep the music box completely offline.

So I'm on the right track? Computer to computer and net computer to modem, w/net computer accessed by music computer via remote desktop?

Thanks,
    Belbin
    If you're not intending to use the network for playback then it should all be OK. You'll find out soon enough :>)

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    If you're not intending to use the network for playback then it should all be OK. You'll find out soon enough :>)

D
    Thanks. Network playback will have to wait for a third pc (one with more than 160MB of ram, faster drive than 5,000 rpm, and faster processor than 1 Ghz) .

Belbin

Go Back to forum