• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Have some eartraining fun!

Share/Bookmark

Talking Have some eartraining fun!

Click on da linksausage and go to Software "Musical Interval/Chord Ear Trainer". The students are driving me nuts! Thank god it's their last freaking day!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...vHC464apT4saYO
    Styxx

Re: Have some eartraining fun!

Yikes, I didn't realize how bad my ears were . . .

Major 7th is the UGLIEST interval . . . yuck!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

What were you choosing instead? Curious because most of the students heard the Mj7 as m2!
    Styxx

Well, actually I get mixed up between m2, m3, P4, m6, M6, m7, and M7, but I'm usually just one off. Whew, that's still terrible! Octaves are the easiest, they just sound so . . . octavish.

Come to think of it, m2 can be easy if you just think JAWS
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Well, I thought the sub-octave intervals were easy, but then it got a little harder with the M9, M10 thrown in. Notes played simultaneously makes it a little tougher for me too.

Did anyone try the chords? Ugghh... that's my achilles' heel.

I wonder if it's any easier for people who have perfect pitch like my Dad does. I should throw this link his way and see how he does.

Schroeder
    "You know, Lois, I'm really not comfortable talking about this amelodically." - Brian the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Yikes, I didn't realize how bad my ears were . . .

Major 7th is the UGLIEST interval . . . yuck!
    Did you by chance listen to DPDAN'S adagio for strings? Listen to the transition from the chord starting at 28seconds in(DbMaj7 first inversion to a G Flat major root) to 33, just one instance of many where this particular harmonic move has been used . It is a beautifull interval! Alot of dissonances when used a certain way are masked, for instance it would sound more dissonant if the bass were to be on the 7th. Personally though (just my opinion) there is no such enemie as I find all types of harmony from simple triads to clusters interesting and not dissonant. Anyway listen to that section from 28 to 33 then decide if it is still ugly I am not trying to be rude at all and I hope I dont come off as such.

http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/DPDA...ngsDanKury.MP3
    Robert Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeder
    Did anyone try the chords? Ugghh... that's my achilles' heel.
    There's definitely no way I'll be able to do chords anytime soon. In fact, I'll probably die not being able to do them.

I didn't notice the use of anything ugly in the adagio for strings! I guess beautiful orchestration can really make it sound . . . beautiful! Funny how that works. Although, I must admit, I can not claim that I find all types of harmony interesting. Some harmonies my ears just hate. But I suppose it all depends on how they are being used in a certain piece. Dissonances can be quite useful sometimes!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

That's actually really easy! It must be a genetic thing, something about how you percieve or visualise music. I'd have thought all musicians would just 'know' when they heard a major 7th, diminished chord etc...

Nice little application though. We just need to find one for perfect pitch training. Although after you know what the first note is it'd just be the same as this - getting the note from the interval.

Quote Originally Posted by wilx
    That's actually really easy! It must be a genetic thing, something about how you percieve or visualise music. I'd have thought all musicians would just 'know' when they heard a major 7th, diminished chord etc...
    Well, I'm sure it also has a lot to do with experience. I know some people are just born with perfect pitch, but if I did this ear training everyday for a couple years, I should get really good! But I'm too lazy . . .

I guess the real trick is to be able to recognize the intervals in the melodies you hear in your head, and my subconscious never uses M7
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I did OK and eventually got every interval, but I shouldn’t have missed any… I’ve been looking into good ear training software and will most likely get something in the next week or two.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a good ear – including being able to recognize any interval both harmonic and melodic in any setting – is the most important skill a composer can have, just as important as harmony or counterpoint.

I also think there is no such thing as an inherently ugly interval just ugly usage of an interval. Anything beyond the most trivial music would be impossible without using major sevenths, tritones, etc.

Thinking of trivial, I just improvised a short ditty that uses a few major sevenths (and minor sevenths) and tritones. This is very diatonic and sounds like something Mozart might have scribbled at age 2 on a bad day but, beyond my awful piano skills, I don’t think you would call it ugly, certainly not the use of the sevenths. OK, the sevenths were mostly ornamentation, but this ditty wouldn’t exist without said ornamentation – it is a big part of the melody.

(Example deleted - not needed any more and is horrible...)
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 08-23-2005 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Deleted example
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum