• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Big problem with RMX - please help!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Big problem with RMX - please help!

Hi guys,

Just joined and this is my first post - kind of a desperate one at that! I'm having the same problems that were highlighted in the "RMX - Out Of Memory" thread further down the page, but that seems to have fizzled out and no real answers were ever given. I've running Windows XP Pro (SP1) and have used various programs to check my physical RAM usage but still have over 750MB free when I get the dreaded "Out Of Memory" message in RMX. The RMX element I was trying to load at the time, "Ambient Metals", is 191MB. My page files on my system and audio drives are set as large as they can go.

I've emailed Spectrasonics about this (remembering my serial no.) but got no reply, and even tried phoning their technical support line in California. I'm in Scotland BTW, and spent a total of forty very expensive minutes on hold and never got through to anyone - and yes, I remembered the time difference!

RMX will be fine if I have nothing else loaded in Cubase SX (v2.2), but when I start loading up other VSTi's everything goes North. It seems to have the biggest issue with East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold. Now I know that uses a heck of a lot of memory, but like I said before, even with that loaded I still have in excess of 750MB when I run into problems.

The whole thing is really driving me nuts. Is getting more RAM the answer? If not I'm gonna have to take RMX off my system - I've lost three good arrangements that I thought had saved fine, but when I loaded them back in, the virtual instrument rack in Cubase was empty! Not good.

Please help, people! Stylus is great, and I desperately want to keep using it.

Regards,
    Kandyman.
    Intel P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB Kingston RAM, M-Audio 24/96, Windows XP Pro SP1, Cubase SX 2.2.0.33

Re: Big problem with RMX - please help!

I can't be too specific, but just a couple of thoughts come to mind. You have 2 gigs of memory; that means that about 1.5 is available to you after XP takes its share. You have to have some available to Cubase (however, I've no idea how much it grabs) so if you have Gold loaded you probably have nowhere near the amount left that you think you have.
    It would be worth loading RMX only to see how much you can get out of your system and checking to see whether or not this is different to the figure that you are getting with Gold.
    I find that with a new, CPU or memory hungry app running often it helps to have TaskManager open continually for the first few days so that I can see what's going on.

D

We're always looking for ways to reduce the memory usage of RMX and we hope to reduce it further in future updates, but the bottom line is that it is a plugin. That means RMX only has access to whatever memory is left over after your host and other plugins make their claims on memory. So, one way to avoid running out of memory with RMX is to provide it with more memory to begin with, by reducing those other usages of memory, or by increasing the total amount of memory. On windows, you can increase your memory capacity, regardless of how much RAM you have, by using the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file. See instructions here: http://searchwinsystems.techtarget.c...tml?bucket=ETA

A word of caution, some drivers are not compatible with the /3GB switch. I've heard of an old ATI driver that doesn't work and the Digidesign mbox driver doesn't work. If there's a problem, you'll generally know right away because you're system won't boot. If that's the case, follow the instructions in the above link and boot without the /3GB switch.

- Glenn

Thumbs up Re: Big problem with RMX - please help!

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

But if I don't have any luck with the /3GB switch, installing more RAM should sort things out, yeah?
    Intel P4 3.2Ghz, 2GB Kingston RAM, M-Audio 24/96, Windows XP Pro SP1, Cubase SX 2.2.0.33

Having more than 2Gb of RAM might help performance, but it wouldn't help with your problem. The resource you're running out of is virtual memory, not physical memory. If the /3GB switch doesn't work for you, see my earlier message:

That means RMX only has access to whatever memory is left over after your host and other plugins make their claims on memory. So, one way to avoid running out of memory with RMX is to provide it with more memory to begin with, by reducing those other usages of memory.
    - Glenn

Smile Re: Big problem with RMX - please help!

Right, I think I'm getting it now! I'll try juggling a few of the variables around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the advice!

Question Re: Big problem with RMX - please help!

Hello again,

No luck with the 3GB switch, I'm afraid! Installing another gig of RAM didn't make any difference either, as you predicted. I was just wondering if I could run something past you about this virtual memory thing though, because I think I may have a possible workaround. Below are some readouts that I took down from a program called AIDA, which monitors things like memory usage. These numbers show my system status with the usual Windows performance tweaks (+3GB switch), all background tasks switched off and my default Cubase SX arrangement loaded. This consists of one instance of HALion and four of East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold. I have then loaded one instance of RMX, but it remains empty (apart from the default Sound Check element).

Physical Memory
    Total 3071 MB
    Used 1278 MB
    Free 1792 MB
    Utilization 42 %

Swap Space
    Total 9089 MB
    Used 1525 MB
    Free 7563 MB
    Utilization 17 %

Virtual Memory
    Total 12160 MB
    Used 2803 MB
    Free 9356 MB
    Utilization 23 %

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong on the following...

My understanding of virtual memory is that each application gets allocated a virtual address space of 4GB whether it be physical memory or the page file, 2GB of which is available to Windows and the rest to the application. The 3GB switch gives a greater share (75%) to the application. So here's my idea! I still have loads of memory available, so if I had a second VST-hosting, ReWire-compatible application, I could run that alongside Cubase and it would have its own 4GB virtual address space. That would take the load off Cubase and would let me load RMX, or whatever, separately without running into memory issues. Is that a possibility, do you think, or am I talking the proverbial bull-droppings?

BTW, while I was watching the AIDA screen after I'd loaded RMX, after the initial jump in used physical and virtual memory, the readings slowly started to fall for each as the free memory for each simultaneously increased. This happened at the rate of about 1 MB every two seconds or so and the Performance Tab in Task Manager confirmed the effect. I did a few tests loading various plug-ins and VSTi's, I even tried other applications, and RMX was the only piece of software to cause this. A friend of mine who builds and services business network systems said that it looked like a memory leak - what does that mean?

If you're loading a Halion and 4(!) EWQLS's, then yes, it's safe to say there is relatively little memory remaining for whatever plugin you load after that. But, yes, using rewire and putting some plugins in another process would be a good strategy for working around the per-process memory liimitations in windows.

- Glenn

Kandyman, I'm not sure if it was implemented in Cubase version 2.2, but I am using version 3 with the freeze track feature as a workaround. I was able to run EWQLSO Gold (only a few instruments), Atmosphere, RMX and Halion at the same time with only 1GB of RAM. I know is not the best solution but my old MOBO won't take any more RAM. You might want to search Cubase.net for Cubase's memory management. You might also consider upgrading Cubase to version 3 if you need the freeze track feature. I hope this helps.

Julio

Version 2.2 does have the Freeze function and I did try it out but it didn't seem to have any impact at all on RMX's memory usage. It works beautifully with big processor-munching soft-synths though. I don't really know that much about it but I'm wondering if maybe it doesn't unload samples from memory with stuff like RMX and HAlion, maybe it just works on the processing side of things. I'm not sure.

Think I might investigate the ReWire app. route though!

Go Back to forum