• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recording to .wav in Finale 2006 with Full GPO

Share/Bookmark

Recording to .wav in Finale 2006 with Full GPO

Big disappointment ...

I use Finale 2006 exclusively with my full GPO for my compositions. The moment came to record my 'masterpiece' to a .wav file. In Finale I went to File/Save Special/Save as audio file .. and then .. I got this;

'Finale 2006 does not yet use Native Instrument VST Sounds when saving as audio. Instead Smart Music SoftSynth sounds will be used. ....................... Keep watching www.finalemusic.com for a free product update which will allow you to save your audio files using Native Instruments VST sounds'.

Does anyone know of any other way of saving GPO sounds through Finale other than connecting up an external recorder? Gary, I have read the manual and found a reference to 'Record' using the Studio but I don't know if this can be done with Finale.

I do have a small Boss 8-track Digital Studio (BR-864) connected and I can record the music. The problem is that the recording is coloured' and 'muffled'. Even when just listening to the music using the front jack on the unit the music is muffled. If I disconnect the unit and then plug my earphones back into the computer the sound is fine. I have tried disabling all effects on the unit but still no improvement. I am presently waiting for Roland to call me back.

Sooooo .. until Make Music provide the update, does anyone have any suggestions.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Recording to .wav in Finale 2006 with Full GPO

You'll have to wait for the update in order for the internal wav rendering to function.

In the meantime you can use GPO Studio (make sure you have the latest version 1.2). Just make sure that you open it before opening Finale. It will appear in your list of midi output devices. You'll have to load your instruments manually in Studio (but this setup can be saved) and record your audio through that. The way it works is that you choose record in Studio, then flip back to Finale and play the file (the audio is recorded in real-time) and when it's done, flip back to Studio and stop recording. You will get some blank space at the beginning and end of you audio file but this can be edited out or at least minimized by some fast clicking. Hope this helps.

Well, the section on recording to audio from Finale in the GPO manual is incorrect. It must have been written before this feature was dropped from the initial release of Finale 2006, because it claims you can record to audio direct from Finale using AU/VST GPO instruments, which you can't. (Yet.)

In the meantime, the best solution is to use a third-party utility that can record the audio from any application. There are two popular Mac utilities that can do this: Audio Hijack Pro and WireTap Pro. Neither is freeware, but both have demo versions that might tide you over until the maintenance release of Finale 2006. (For example, the demo of Audio Hijack Pro lets you record files up to ten minutes long.)

There is also a freeware solution, although it's not quite as easy to use. It's called SoundFlower, which allows any OS X recording application to record audio from any other application. So you could install SoundFlower and then use a freeware audio editor like Audacity to record Finale 2006 playback. Again, not quite as simple and elegant as Audio Hijack or WireTap, but then again, it's free.

I definitely do not recommend using GPO Studio, as loogoo suggests. Apart from the fact that it does not read your existing AU Setup and you will have to re-create in GPO Studio, GPO Studio performance is so much worse than AU performance (at least, on Mac) that it's really not worth it. I can literally have twice as many instruments playing using AU in Finale than I ever could using GPO Studio. You will get far better results using third-party software to record the audio from Finale.

Smile Re: Recording to .wav in Finale 2006 with Full GPO

For PC users, I recommend "Total Recorder" by High Criteria as a third-party recording application. It is a virtual or software soundcard. Not freeware but low priced.

I echo what Thad has said.
    I use Wiretap a lot. It is comprised of two parts. A Free side, which records audio from any source whether off your system sound card or from an external source, and a pay-side which has advanced features. . Recording audio is for as long as you want - with a reminder every now and then, but if you want to use its more advacned features, you must pay the shareware fee.

I Highly recommend it. If you have a Mac

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ship's Bugler
    For PC users, I recommend "Total Recorder" by High Criteria as a third-party recording application. It is a virtual or software soundcard. Not freeware but low priced.
    How do you record whilst playing a file through Finale? I've downloaded the trial version but can't see how to record whilst playing my score using GPO through Finale?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    How do you record whilst playing a file through Finale? I've downloaded the trial version but can't see how to record whilst playing my score using GPO through Finale?
    The way these products work is as follow: You open up the recording program... The program records off your soundcard... It could be the playback of finale, it could be the news off the web, it will record it.... So, you open up the program and set it up for recording... Then you open up finale and gpo.... Click record on the program... Play your file in finale... The recording program will record your finale performance... After finale stops playing, stop recording in the recording program... Save file and there's your finale master... Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    The way these products work is as follow: You open up the recording program... The program records off your soundcard... It could be the playback of finale, it could be the news off the web, it will record it.... So, you open up the program and set it up for recording... Then you open up finale and gpo.... Click record on the program... Play your file in finale... The recording program will record your finale performance... After finale stops playing, stop recording in the recording program... Save file and there's your finale master... Hope this helps...
    Thanks. I tried that but nothing works. I also tried 'Audacity' for PC suggested by John but still no luck. I've tried different settings in 'Total Recorder' in 'Recording Source and Parameters' but when I exit this everything returns to default settings. Also the recording setting is greyed out set at zero and I can't adjust that.

I play directly through Finale using Finale's (2006) MIDI option 'Play through Native Instruments VST'. Perhaps this has something to do with it.
    Michael

Talk to the people at Total Recorder... If you're using Windows XP or 2000, you may need to do some tweaking....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    I also tried 'Audacity' for PC suggested by John but still no luck.
    Audacity works. Just select "Stereo Mixer Input" as your input source, start recording in Audacity, then start playback in Finale. I know many people who have successfully used this method to record Finale playback.

Mac users can use Audacity to record Finale playback, too, but they first have to install and use Soundflower, which must be used in conjunction with Audacity. System sound output needs to be set to Soundflower, and Audacity's sound input also needs to be set to Soundflower. Then start recording in Audacity, and start playback in Finale. (Remember to restore your default sound output when you're finished recording!)

Audacity and Soundflower are both freeware, so this is the best (and only free) solution to capture GPO playback from Finale 2006 for now, on both Mac and Windows. Finale 2006a will hopefully include built-in Save As Audio support for GPO instruments.

Go Back to forum