• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilogy's Synth Waveforms

Share/Bookmark

Trilogy's Synth Waveforms

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone would be able to answer some questions for me about Trilogy.

I am a hip hop and electronica producer from Canberra, Australia and I'm thinking very seriously about buying the Trilogy module from Spectrasonics. I have two questions I would like answered before I make my decision and I'm hoping you won't mind taking the time to answer them for me. I have looked online and read Spectrasonic's FAQs but can't find the information I'm after.

I also sometimes write gear reviews for a local free music mag called BMA and will possibly do a review of Trilogy as I'm so impressed with the sound. You'll find my questions below to be technical I guess (though not for you guys of course) because that's the angle I usually approach my reviews from. I also like to give the readers some information not covered elsewhere.

I have heard Trilogy in one of my associate's studio and was very impressed with the sound quality. VERY impressed. Listening to the basic synth waveforms I was pleased to note that there were no harsh artifacts present as I played the keyboard up into the higher registers, as one would expect from a sampler pitchshifting a single waveform. So I must assume that these are multisampled. Speaking specifically about the synth waveforms only... how many times has each been multisampled?

Also, I can hear a fair bit of movement in these oscillations (which sounds very nice) so I'm guessing that each waveform isn't simply a single-cycle loop. How long is each sample (in cycles or seconds) before the looping begins?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

DC

http://www.sonicstructures.com

admin@sonicstructures.com

Re: Trilogy's Synth Waveforms

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalComa
    I have heard Trilogy in one of my associate's studio and was very impressed with the sound quality. VERY impressed. Listening to the basic synth waveforms I was pleased to note that there were no harsh artifacts present as I played the keyboard up into the higher registers, as one would expect from a sampler pitchshifting a single waveform. So I must assume that these are multisampled. Speaking specifically about the synth waveforms only... how many times has each been multisampled?
    Depends on the waveform...sometimes chromatically, sometimes less. We use whatever is need to get the best possible sound...and sometimes it sounds better to use less multisamples...other times it sounds best to sample every note.

The high ranges aren't multisampled, since it's a bass module after all. :-)

Also, I can hear a fair bit of movement in these oscillations (which sounds very nice) so I'm guessing that each waveform isn't simply a single-cycle loop. How long is each sample (in cycles or seconds) before the looping begins?
    There are no single cycle loops in Trilogy....everything plays for several seconds or more and the loops are quite long. This preserves the characteristics of the original synth much better.

Hope that helps!

spectrum

Sure does! Thanks so much Spectrum :-)

I'm surprised that the higher notes aren't multisampled too - the tone is so clear no matter how high I go; with no irritating harsh frequencies or distortion added to the sound. Real smooth. What frequency generally is the highest sample used?

DC

http://www.sonicstructures.com

admin@sonicstructures.com

Usually G above middle C or thereabouts.

spectrum

DigitalComa: Buy this module! It's the only thing in the native software world with really fat bass sounds. Only Trilogy came close to the big monophonic monsters (SE-1, Moog's). There are a lot of people saying that VSTi-s are so cool and fat, but thats bull~~~~. Perharps minimonsta is quite useful, but surely not perfect. For rnb/hiphop you need fat and dynamic bass right from this module. Worth every penny!

It will be the best $350 you'll ever spend. A bargain at twice the price.
    a $120k business degree will get you a job on Wall Street - a $120k Berklee degree will get you a job on Beale Street...

It's not the pitch shifting that causes high frequency artifacts (usually) with synth sounds.. it's aliasing that is present in some digital synths. I imagine with the great UVI engine and the fact that the waveforms are sampled and not generated realtime, aliasing is completely avoided.. though I could be wrong.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

There's definitely aliasing when samples are pitch-shifted into very high ranges. We didn't worry about that too much though, since it's a Bass module.

Go Back to forum