• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instrument Patch Names and their Meanings.

Share/Bookmark

Instrument Patch Names and their Meanings.

I think I might regret asking these but here goes.

Looking through the instrument patches there are, for example, Flute plr1, Flute plr2, Flute plr3, Flute solo, Flute n Flute nv and Flute ks. These terms are used also for most of the other instruments. Could someone please explain;

(1) What difference in the sampling are there for Flute plr 1, 2, 3 and solo. What difference is there in simply using Flute plr1 (or 2 or 3) to solo over selecting Flute solo .. er .. if you see what I mean.

(2) What do the letters 'n' and 'nv' mean and what are their purpose?

(3) I know that 'ks' stands for 'Key Switching' but what exactly does this do and what is the purpose of using this patch over one of the others?

If there's a tutorial somewhere I've missed that explains all of this, I should be grateful if someone could point me to it.

Many thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Instrument Patch Names and their Meanings.

1) the plr samples are for building sections. i.e. flute 1, flute 2 and flute 3. The samples are based on the solo samples, but designed so that if they play in unison there is no phasing. I believe this is because the Flute solo is sampled chromatically, but the plr's are created using only one in three of the solo sampled notes - plr one uses a sampled C for C C# and D, plr two uses a sampled C# for C C# and D etc.,

2) v and nv = vibrato and non-vibrato

3) keyswitching is to enable one instrument to be loaded - say Violin 1, to enable you to switch between pizzicato and bowed playing by hitting the appropriate midi note (that is outside the palying range of the instrument) that is assigned to pizz. or bowed.

Apologies for the inelegant answer, but hopefuly you will get the gist
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Thanks Richard for the reply to Michael.

Michael, this is all very basic stuff further explained in the manual. A PDF copy should be in the Personal Orchestral folder on your hard drive.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk

(3) I know that 'ks' stands for 'Key Switching' but what exactly does this do and what is the purpose of using this patch over one of the others?
    I believe you are using GPO with Finale, correct?

Generally speaking, you should prefer "KS" (Key Switching) instruments over alternate versions of the same instrument because they offer you additional performance techniques without having to switch channels. Expressions indicating these performance techniques are automatically interpreted by Human Playback (at least, in Finale 2006), but only if you have the "KS" instrument loaded.

For example, if you load "Violins 1 KS", Human Playback automatically interprets expressions like "pizz." and "arco". If you load "Trumpet 1 Player 1 KS," Human Playback automatically interprets "mute" and "no mute". If you have "Harp 1 KS" loaded, Human Playback automatically interprets stopped notes and harmonics.

However, for this to work, you have to remember to always load the instruments in the "9. Notation" folder (which was added in the most recent GPO update) and you also need to select "Use Unified Keyswitches" in the Human Playback options.

However, at the moment, I don't believe that Human Playback supports the flute keyswitches (for non vib. playing and fluttertonguing). At least, I tried using "fltg.," "n.v." and "non vib." and they didn't work. Hopefully, support for these expressions will be added in a future version of Human Playback. (I'm in touch with the creator of Human Playback and will ask him about this next time I talk to him.)

EDIT: AHA! You do learn things by reading the manual. If you check page 81 of the updated GPO documentation ("Personal Orchestra Manual.pdf" -- I had no idea the latest GPO updater also updated the manual!), you will see instructions on how to get the Flute KS and Piccolo KS instruments to perform a fluttertongue using Human Playback. (It requires you to create a custom articulation -- check the documentation for the details.)

I don't see anything here about n.v. playing for flute so I believe that is still as-yet unsupported.

Thanks Richard and Thad for your explanations and patience. Thanks Gary for pointing me to the manual in the GPO folder.

I'm getting there .....
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hey Thad, I recently started a new file in Finale 2k6, and noticed that my arco/pizz. expressions don't seem to affect the Basses KS instrument that I loaded (other HP functions seem to work). Any ideas?

Also, could you tell me why my VOLUME settings on the kontakt player (the volume knob on the right hand side, not the mod wheel) seem now to "snap" back upon playback to some mysteriously pre-assigned setting, regardless of where I place them before playback? This never seemed to happen before. Is it a function of HP's interpreting the expressions of the score? But if so, I thought that was the modwheel that would do that.

Would love some clarity on this -- it's keeping me from using Finale2006! Thanks for all your help!

Steve
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Hey Thad, I recently started a new file in Finale 2k6, and noticed that my arco/pizz. expressions don't seem to affect the Basses KS instrument that I loaded (other HP functions seem to work). Any ideas?
    Yes:

1) Make sure the Arco/Pizz expressions you are using are defined for no playback effect. Do not use the expressions that come with the Finale default file that say "GPO Finale Edition Keyswitch" or "use w/HP off FinGPO KS" -- these won't work. Neither will expressions from the Finale 2005 keyswitch library available on the Garritan website. You need to edit this expressions and set the playback effect to "None" -- or replace them with expressions you create yourself that have no playback effect.

2) Make sure you load only the instruments from the "9. Notation" folder. If you see keyswitches that begin immediately below the playable range of the instrument, you've loaded the wrong version.

3) Make sure "Use unified keyswitches" is checked in your "HP Options." [EDIT: also make sure that all of the boxes under "Advanced Instrument Techniques" are checked.]

Quote Originally Posted by stmain
    Also, could you tell me why my VOLUME settings on the kontakt player (the volume knob on the right hand side, not the mod wheel) seem now to "snap" back upon playback to some mysteriously pre-assigned setting, regardless of where I place them before playback? This never seemed to happen before. Is it a function of HP's interpreting the expressions of the score? But if so, I thought that was the modwheel that would do that.
    You should not use the Volume setting in the Kontakt player to balance playback in Finale 2006. (This was always quite buggy). Instead, make sure that "Use Standard Volume & Pan" is checked in your Kontakt Player options, and use Finale's Mixer (or Studio View) to balance the instruments. This overrides the volume settings in the Kontakt player -- but that's a good thing, since the volume settings in Finale's Mixer/Studio View are much more reliable and easier to use.

The Mixer also overrides the Kontakt Player pan settings. This is kind of a pain, but there are two ways of getting around it. One is to right-click (or control-click, on Mac) each of the pan pots in the Mixer and set them to "Not Sending" -- but you have to do this before you play back your score for the first time -- once that happens, the Mixer overrides the default panning in the Kontakt Player and sets the panning to dead center. The other solution -- useful if you've already played back your file and lost the default panning settings -- is to choose "Set Panning" from the MIDI Menu. Finale tries to make intelligent panning choices for you (which you can adjust further using the Mixer, Studio View, or the Instrument List).

Keep in mind that in Finale, panning is done on a scale of 0-127, where 0 = 100% L, 127 = 100% R, and 64 = dead center. [This is lame, I know -- I'm trying to get them to change it.]

Thad,

Thanks so much for all of your posts in these forums. They are always very thorough, and extremely helpful!

Have you considered teaching a class on Finale/GPO? Maybe a summer seminar somewhere? I for one would be interested.

Dave

Thanks Dave.

At the moment, I'm only doing private lessons.

Go Back to forum