• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Using more RAM with Gigastudio 3 (?)

Share/Bookmark

Using more RAM with Gigastudio 3 (?)

Using Editbin and setting the "largeaddressaware" flag on the application (SONAR and Cubase confirmed working) you can seemingly increase the memory bandwidth of your favorite application to up to 2.5gb or so, provided it was compiled with C++ (I think). Does this work with Gigastudio 3? Has anyone tried?

Read this:
    http://www.toontrack.com/cgi-bin/yab...86068;start=30
    Last edited by Thomas_J; 08-18-2005 at 03:36 PM.

Re: Using more RAM with Gigastudio 3 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_J
    Using Editbin and setting the "largeaddressaware" flag on the application (SONAR and Cubase confirmed working) you can seemingly increase the memory bandwidth of your favorite application to up to 2.5gb or so, provided it was compiled with C++ (I think). Does this work with Gigastudio 3? Has anyone tried?
    no, this is only addressing the user (is this right?) accessible ram. GS is accesing the kernel level ram which is limited to 1.5gb, thats why Gigastudio is performing better then other Sampler applications and it needs less ram with allways lower latencies.

...everywhere on the world but not in Brasil!!!
    Digital AudionetworX

Ok thanks for clearing that up! I had a feeling gigastudio being kernel-based would probably have a saying with this tweak Too bad, though 1.5gb doesn't cut it!

Please can you clarify something (I'm just amusician) : I read in a previous thread that G.3 can use up to 1150 megs of Ram, you say 1500 megs ?

I know that I can open both Giga and Kompakt (or Kontakt2) at the same time to make use of the left Ram (I have 2 Gig ).
    Since it appears that Kompakt (with gold) can load more than 1150 megs on the Ram, isn't it more interesting to use Kontakt, even with Giga file, than Gigastudio,I mean for those who only have one computer?

What is the interest of unlimited polyphony if we can only use 30 channels or so (due to the size of today libraries like VSL among others) in the purpose of "massive" orchestration ?
    Is this only the domain of professional musicians/technicians owning 3 or 4 computers?
    Is giga.3 ( I only own Giga2) worth the price if it can only load 3 or 4 more channels than G.2 (it can load 950 meg), something I could do with another sampler ?

I ask because I read a lot of things abaout G.3 limitations and crashes I experienced in my early days with G.2 and i really would konw the truth about the "most powerful sampler ever made".

This is a very thorny question, and if you search previous threads your head will be spinning afterwards.
    Basically, GS3 is more efficient than GS2, so with the same amount of memory you can load more samples. It has been suggested that although Kontakt seems to use more memory it is less efficient therefore GS can load more instruments. I have yet to install K2 so I can't comment on this, but you can also find evidence that K2 causes a comparatively huge hit on the CPU by just running, so it might not be suitable.
    There have been people who have managed to run GS3 and K2" on the same machine, making sure to load GS first, but it can also be a bit flakey.
    FWIW I have 3 GS machines and they regularly run 50-60 MIDI tracks with no problem.

D

Thank you for your reply, yes my head was spinning after reading all the threads and keeping guessing.

When you say 60 midi channels does that mean per computer or for the whole? What the max capacity of memory you can use with G.3 ?

I already used EWGold with G.2 (lauching GS first) : no streaming issues but some pop up during the most demanding passages.

As far as I understand the CPU is not an issue (I have a 3.2 Ghz) but the Ram, isn't it ?

To get to the bottom, it means that if one wants to do realistic mock up with such VSL or others libs, 3 or more computers are needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    Thank you for your reply, yes my head was spinning after reading all the threads and keeping guessing.

When you say 60 midi channels does that mean per computer or for the whole? What the max capacity of memory you can use with G.3 ?

I already used EWGold with G.2 (lauching GS first) : no streaming issues but some pop up during the most demanding passages.

As far as I understand the CPU is not an issue (I have a 3.2 Ghz) but the Ram, isn't it ?

To get to the bottom, it means that if one wants to do realistic mock up with such VSL or others libs, 3 or more computers are needed ?
    I use up to 60 channels per computer and I have 3 of them. Each one loads 1047 MB of samples and have no streaming or voice problems. If you want to do a realistic mock-up with VSL you will either need to record track by track or get more computers. I could really do with another one, but am intending to make do for the moment.

D

May I ask now the amount of sample you can load in one computer, I ask because with small libraries (AO, Vitous) it was possible to make use of the 64 channels with Giga2.

TASCAM argues that G3 can load 512 Gigabytes of sample, for a non-technician person it 's confusing: it could be misunderstood as we can use twice the VSL pro at a time!

Why not to display a comparative chart of the max usable memory/ max sample loaded by G.2 and 3 ? Maybe they don't do that because there is not a big difference...

Difficult to answer. I use VSL and plenty of repetition and legato instruments, so the computer that I still run out of memory on tends to be the one with the strings.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Sicmu
    Since it appears that Kompakt (with gold) can load more than 1150 megs on the Ram, isn't it more interesting to use Kontakt, even with Giga file, than Gigastudio,I mean for those who only have one computer?

What is the interest of unlimited polyphony if we can only use 30 channels or so (due to the size of today libraries like VSL among others) in the purpose of "massive" orchestration ?
    Is this only the domain of professional musicians/technicians owning 3 or 4 computers?
    Is giga.3 ( I only own Giga2) worth the price if it can only load 3 or 4 more channels than G.2 (it can load 950 meg), something I could do with another sampler ?

I ask because I read a lot of things abaout G.3 limitations and crashes I experienced in my early days with G.2 and i really would konw the truth about the "most powerful sampler ever made".
    Blasphemy!!! How do you dare to raise such questions???? You better keep your opinions to yourself or people will start to think you are a Brazilian!!! (got it Audionetworx? )

Just kidding of course!

Go Back to forum