• Register
  • Help

Topic: /3G Boot Option

Share/Bookmark

/3G Boot Option

Hi everyone. I just recently received my new DAW and I am trying to figure out how efficiently it is set up. All the documented tweaks I could find have already been verified as having been done when the DAW was built for me. But in Giga, when I run the memory configuration routine, I have tried #2, #3, and #4 and I never get above 840Mb listed. It's a 3Gb machine of dual channel memory. I read in a thread about a /3G boot option but I'm not clear on what exactly it does and how exactly you invoke it. Someone said you invoke it through msconfig but I couldn't see how you update the boot statement using that tool. I have XP Pro. Can someone give me the details of whether that is a legitimate paramter, what does it do, and how do you use it, if it's worth using?

Thanks ...... Mixednuts (aka Rob)

Re: /3G Boot Option

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    Hi everyone. I just recently received my new DAW and I am trying to figure out how efficiently it is set up. All the documented tweaks I could find have already been verified as having been done when the DAW was built for me. But in Giga, when I run the memory configuration routine, I have tried #2, #3, and #4 and I never get above 840Mb listed. It's a 3Gb machine of dual channel memory. I read in a thread about a /3G boot option but I'm not clear on what exactly it does and how exactly you invoke it. Someone said you invoke it through msconfig but I couldn't see how you update the boot statement using that tool. I have XP Pro. Can someone give me the details of whether that is a legitimate paramter, what does it do, and how do you use it, if it's worth using?

first of all, 90% of the tweaks are bulsit...

that you cannot acces more than 840mb is really weird. i guess the reason is that you have more than 2gb of ram. i never! installed a GS machine with more than 2 gb for gigastudio, but i now that you get more ram for gigastudio if you have only 1.5gb installed, not much but its something like 50mb.
    So maybe you take out 1gb and see if the memory settings are getting better.
    Digital AudionetworX

There is a huge thread about all this on the VSL forum; read it..........!

FWIW I was able to access 35% using the XP default, but less with any other presets. However, having spent a little bit of time tweaking I now get 1047 MB (I think), and it is the same on all three machines.

The /3G boot option is of absolutely no use to you at all, so forget it :>)

D

OK, I read every post in the huge VSL thread about memory utilization in Giga. So far I know this:

1. When I got my new machine, the current values for those registry parameters were not 0, even though the guys who built the system say they did not tamper with those settings.

2. I am trying lots of different values for the registry tweaks and most have not produced much improvement. I am sure there are still lots of different setting I can try. Between the registry tweaks and the different preset configs within Giga, there are a lot of different possibilities.

3. I pulled out 1Gb of memory so I would have 2Gb instead of 3Gb. Then I played around some more. Here's the thing: in that VSL thread, people are talking about getting the Giga memory meter to read in the 90's. I can get about 900Mg loaded into msg32.exe but the memory meter still only reads 57%.

Anyone playing with these things enough to talk with me about it here?

Thanks ........ Mixednuts (aka Rob)

3. I pulled out 1Gb of memory so I would have 2Gb instead of 3Gb. Then I played around some more. Here's the thing: in that VSL thread, people are talking about getting the Giga memory meter to read in the 90's. I can get about 900Mg loaded into msg32.exe but the memory meter still only reads 57%.

Anyone playing with these things enough to talk with me about it here?

Thanks ........ Mixednuts (aka Rob)
    You ought to be able to get over the 1gig with the right tweak, but only you can find out what the right one is for your system. However, the way the meter is set up in GS3 there is no way that you are going to get anything in the 90% region; this is just not going to happen. The people who are reporting this are (ASFAIK) on the old GS system of reporting memory and are still not getting more than 1 gig, or maybe 1.1 gig for a few.
    Once you are happy with what you've got you could try replacing the memory and then using up the rest with Kontakt, as long as you remember to load GS first. David Govett reported on making this work, but I haven't tried it.

D

Mixednuts (aka Rob)
    with 2 gb installed memory 1070mb in msg.exe is abot 65% in gigastudio
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    The /3G boot option is of absolutely no use to you at all, so forget it :>)
    I think you're absolutely correct. The /3GB option is intended for Microsoft Exchange Servers that need more application ram as oposed to kernel ram. So it restricts kernal ram to a max of 1GB from which the OS will grab a little more than 1/2 for itself leaving GS with only what's left. We really need a switch that restricts application ram to 1GB and gives the rest to the kernel thereby increasing what GS can use... but there is no such switch.

The tweak options set a group of registry entries which suggest to the OS how to divide up kernel ram among different types of buffers during its boot process. So when changing tweak options in GS, make sure you apply, exit, and reboot before running the GS memory test to see the effect of the option.

Howard

Go Back to forum