• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Topic: Why are we fighting?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Question Why are we fighting?

    sponsored links


    ***Advertisments***
    Why are we fighting?

    Hi everyone,

    I usually stay far away from any debates but, I had heard a comment of the TV last night that made me near ill and I just have to sound off. The subject was about pulling out the troops from Iraq and the Cindy Camp thing down in Texas. CNN interviewed one woman from Texas and she said, "We can't pull out the troops. If we did, we would have to fight the terrorist here in America!"

    Honestly, do some people really believe that we are in Iraq fighting terrorism? Please - it takes nothing more then a fifth grade education to understand that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and if there are terrorist there now, its is because we invaded - and did so under false pretenses.

    If this was true then what do we tell the good people in the UK?
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

  2. #2

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Why are we fighting?

    Hi everyone,

    I usually stay far away from any debates but, I had heard a comment of the TV last night that made me near ill and I just have to sound off. The subject was about pulling out the troops from Iraq and the Cindy Camp thing down in Texas. The interviewed one woman from Texas and she said, "We can't pull out the troops because then we would have to fight the terrorist here in American if we did!"

    Honestly, do some people really believe that we are in Iraq fighting terrorism? Please - it takes nothing more then a fifth grade education to understand that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 and if there are terrorist there now, its is because we invaded - and did so under false pretenses.

    If this was true then what do we tell the good people in the UK?
    Bela,

    It's cool that you chimed in.

    My beliefs about Iraq aside (they probably contradict with yours)..... the answer is....Yes. Some people are not much smarter than someone with a fifth grade education. I talk with about 330 people in an 8 hour period some days, and the statement that the lady made that you quoted would be considered intelligent compared to what many people say. Like I said...all political beliefs aside...it's pretty scary. You're right. Now please send me some free software.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    If this was true then what do we tell the good people in the UK?
    We tell them the same thing we tell PaulR.... Quit drinking tea, pretending that soccer is football, and get some work done.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

  3. #3

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    The theory is this: democracies don't breed terrorism. When Iraq becomes a democracy, neighboring countries will also be pressured to become democracies, and thus terrorism will be gone. And it's already working - Syria pulled out of Lebanon because of the intense pressure applied by George Bush.

    It's hard to fathom that this actually is the thinking going on in our State Department, but it's really true.

    As I've said, we live in the land where ignorance is bliss.

  4. #4

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    As I've said, we live in the land where ignorance is bliss.
    No arguments there, Nick. Perhaps you should just join the club. Ignore it all, put your head in the sand, and change your avatar to the proper animal.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Budleigh Salterton
    Posts
    1,477

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    If this was true then what do we tell the good people in the UK?
    You don't want to worry about that - it was probably us that put you up to it in the first place.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    380

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    I wish everyone would get their facts straight about the Iraq invasion. It was NOT based upon 9/11. It was decided before the administration took office (a well known fact except around here.) 9/11 was then used as a selling point to the American public. This technique of selling is a very old trick and has been done by every administration in recent history.

    The question then becomes the policy itself. Anyone is free to rail against this policy and call it a crime against humanity or whatever. But you can't single out the Bush administration for these tactics, they are very very old and common. Vietnam was sold identically: threat, best interests of American and global security, attack upon U.S. - Gulf of Tomkin. Included in this policy was the assasination of a U.S. ally! (South Vietnamese president.) The Gulf of Tomkin incident was a pitiful phantom incident that is unconfirmed to this day; hardly a 9/11 which was the greatest single attack on U.S. soil ever.

    Two wrongs don't make a right. But purely as a theoretical matter: to in some way be pre-emptive towards say a nuclear threat (dirty bomb et. al.) is not wicked barbarism. We should be doing everything to expose and eliminate this threat.

    Before you react let me state my point with crystal clarity: Even if the war in Iraq is (as Vietnam was) totally completely wrong, the PRINCIPLE of destroying something or someone that is hell-bent on incinerating your entire family is not errant. I don't think you would want to learn that this principle is correct by looking at a shadow that was once your child or kin. It doesn't mean there has to be all out war but war as an option can never be totally precluded or history has taught us nothing. Pure pacifism would allow for another Hitler. If we have a policy that says no war than his policy of no jews would be just the starting point.

  7. #7

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    Nonetheless, Bush used the line as recently as a week ago: "We're fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here."

    I certainly understand that war is sometimes a necessary evil, but lying to justify it when it's not a necessary evil - as is the case here - is not.

    And the part about spreading democracy is really what these fools believe. I couldn't possibly have made up anything that farfetched.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    380

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    100 percent agreed Nick.

  9. #9

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    ...oh and, Dear FOX news,

    Anti War does not mean anti troops. F-u-c-k yes I support the troops. I would support them if they were told to invade a Sunday school. However, I do not support the people who lie and put our troops in harms way for some BS cause!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Ojai, California
    Posts
    305

    Re: Why are we fighting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    ...oh and, Dear FOX news,

    Anti War does not mean anti troops. F-u-c-k yes I support the troops. I would support them if they were told to invade a Sunday school. However, I do not support the people who lie and put our troops in harms way for some BS cause!
    What do you mean when you say you support the troops?

    Isnt each person involved in promoting violence toward another individually responsible? Does the fact that they have been ordered by their commanders absolve them of responsibility?

    There are many who say, and I suspect rhetorically, that they would die for their country. How many are willing to withstand a courts marshall for doing the right thing? How many can simply rise above peer-pressure?

    Its seems obvious to me that not many.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •