• Register
  • Help

Topic: does rewire bypass the need for a GSIF2 audiocard for using iMidi

Share/Bookmark

Question question: does rewire bypass the need for a GSIF2 audiocard for using iMidi?

Hi,

I use GigaStudio 3 with a GSIF-1 compatible audiocard.
    As the audiocard is not GSIF-2 compitable, according to the manual I cannot use the intelligent midi (iMidi) features of GigaStudio.

It is however unclear to me what happens when GigaStudio is connected through Rewire with a recent version of Sonar or Cubase.

Can I make use of iMidi when controlling GigaStudio from a sequencer (like Cubase or Sonar) when they are connected with Rewire, even while the sequencer use Asio as audiocard driver?

Sadly, I cannot test it myself, as I still use an old version of Logic.
    If iMidi works through Rewire, I am going to buy either Sonar or Cubase.

Rob.

Re: does rewire bypass the need for a GSIF2 audiocard for using iMidi

Does anybody know the answer to my question?

As far as I know, iMidi works with GSIF-1.

I think so too -- imidi works with gsif1. Gsif2 adds the capability for audio in to gigastudio, but nothing to do with midi (i think). Rewire in sonar, anyway, is unsatisfying in some ways: limited number of ports/channels, and note identification disappears in sonar3 (you have to deal with midi note numbers, not pitches). Don't know about cubase.

Hi Bill and Gugliel,

Maybe I am confusing two things:

The support site of Tascam/Gigastudio mentions the need for a combined GSIF2 audio/midi card. Only then will you get GSIF2 "Kernel-Level MIDI" support. But hopefully this has nothing to do with iMidi.

So all those months since I have GigaStudio 3 Orchestral, I have not used the much desired iMidi functionality, althought I could have used it all that time.

Quote Originally Posted by gugliel
    Rewire in sonar, anyway, is unsatisfying in some ways: limited number of ports/channels, and note identification disappears in sonar3 (you have to deal with midi note numbers, not pitches). Don't know about cubase.
    As Sonar is a pure Windows product, I currently have a slight preference to Sonar 4 as future replacement of my current Logic 5.5.

What do you mean with "note identification dissapears"?

Greetings,

Rob.

in the 'event window' in sonar, anyway, the midi note names disappear with rewire -- this may not matter to you, and it's hard to describe any more fully -- but for me it was a big deal, because I spend much of my editing time tweaking individual notes and passages at the midi event level.

Anyone out there who actually uses rewire with gigastudio? With sonar?

"Kernel-Level MIDI"

This give you lower latancy. Nothing to do with iMDI. A common confusion though...

Arrow Re: does rewire bypass the need for a GSIF2 audiocard for using iMidi

I am using Creamware Scope Professional w/ GSIF I . I notice no difference in latency, I only lose audio into GS3, which I have no desire to do anyway. The only advantage I get from GS3 is the addition of Resonant Body Impulses, with mic placement. This is great for acoustic instruments. All other FX are routed to external Lexicon ( SP/DIF ), and Alesis ( ADAT ). So far GSIF I is all that I need, although I wish CWA would make GSIF II available, they are too busy with other projects that are doing quite well. If you are recording into GS3 for use with Gigapulse, I would see the need for kernel level optimsations.

Go Back to forum