• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: eLAB REX files usable in RMX?

Share/Bookmark

eLAB REX files usable in RMX?

eLAB produced a few "instruments" or maybe I should say "sample players" that came with rather large libraries of sounds. I believe the names are Foundation and Obsession (and maybe they had another one?)...

Anyway, they are basically multi-channel REX file players -- surely many of you know the products I'm talking about.

My question is, does anyone know if those REX files are usable in RMX? Or are they stored in some kind of format that ONLY allows them to be accessed by the eLAB players?

Re: eLAB REX files usable in RMX?

Nope...they are REX files, but are locked to be only playable in the E-Lab players.

E-Lab has some other normal REX libraries that work great in RMX though...like Smoker's Delight, etc.

Awwwww...... MAN!!!

'Cause those loops sound great...

Oh, well -- I have NO interest in the loops locked into those players -- but I had my credit card ready to give eLAB a sale if I could bring 'em into RMX!!

Yes. I was wondering the same thing. Smokers Delight works great in RMX. Anyone from E-Lab listening? I'd buy your REX2 files in a heartbeat, but only as food for my RMX...

Tell them about it and maybe they'll release them.

Frankly speaking i doubt that Elab will ever release those loops in a format that would be readable by any other program but their own.
    Given the rather barebone architecture of their players its pretty obvious that their main purpose is to provide some sort of copy protection (here we go again!).

best
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    Given the rather barebone architecture of their players its pretty obvious that their main purpose is to provide some sort of copy protection .
    I'd wager you're right on that point -- and it's a shame because I heard those audio demo's and was ready to buy those loops RIGHT NOW. But to be honest, they have little appeal to me apart from being able to load them into RMX. Dude, RMX is making me lazy!!

I'm gonna send eLAB a message RIGHT NOW -- it never hurts to tell them.

Go to http://www.e-lab.se and click "support" and then "contact"...

Okay, WELL, what about Smoker's Delight? Eric himself mentioned that one -- who has it and can comment on it? Does it just have DRUMS (which is what I'm looking for)? Or does it have other "elements"? Is it construction kits, or what? And how MANY kits? I'm really looking for great bare-bones hip-hop breaks (drums)... I find so many loops are just too "full" (or "busy" -- however I should say that) to work for the things I'm doing...

Smokers Delight has two sections.

Drums and Tuned.
    I really like it for the tuned stuff which is not what you would normally expect.
    There are no bass or guitarloops but tonal elements that sound like transformed vinyl stuff. Moody chords and atmospheres that create a very inspiring backdrop.
    Kinda jazzy sometimes.
    Add some drums and a bassline and get ready to rap!
    The drums are cool too.
    Rather simple but effective.
    The whole thing has a very good vibe to it.
    I can really recommend it to anybody who is looking for some moody contemporary stuff.
    Combijnes very well with the core library

best
    Hans

Yes, it is a bummer that the content of the new E-Lab players is restricted to their playback engine. I really hope they consider releasing their stuff in other formats. If there is a way to copy protect REX2 files (sage expander or some other technology maybe) then I'd gladly play along. ELab creates cool, dusty, grimey sounding stuff--just perfect for the RMX tape echo. I also see that their players are dropping in price, which leads me to suspect that they're not selling that well. I personally don't want a slew of loop players in my DAW, but I understand the need for copyright protection these days.

Smokers does have bass, guitar, and electric piano loops by the way--although I don't find myself using them very much. I don't really dig instrument phrases all that much, it feels like cheating to me. The more trippy, vibey, tonal vynal samples are really cool and useful from time to time to spice up a track. I often find myself processing them even more and pitch shifting them.

Its main strength are its REX2 drumloops though, which work really well in RMX. They sound like MPC programmed stuff from one-shot vynal samples. Often very simple stuff from 80-100bpm with a good pocket and head-bobing swing. A good base for chill-out or dusty hip hop stuff.

I agree that many drumloops these days are way too busy--they sound great on their own and in the demo. But try dropping them in a track and they eat up way too much sonic space. Simple is good. Simple is nice.

"Music is the space between notes..."

Quote Originally Posted by Justin P.
    I also see that their players are dropping in price, which leads me to suspect that they're not selling that well.
    Yeah, I was TOTALLY thinking that, too...

SO hey, come on -- anyone who slightly cares, you might as well go to those links I posted to their website (about two posts above) and send them a message -- maybe they'll consider releasing those sounds without the players.

Go Back to forum