• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO, Finale 2006 - Shoot me now...

Share/Bookmark

GPO, Finale 2006 - Shoot me now...

Well, Finale 2006 seems to be a bust for me. Some things I noticed:

Its not a fully compatible VSTi host though it implys it is...so Atmosphere doesn't work.
    If you use it to access GPO Studio, it changes all the panning and volumn settings you loaded in the GPO studio around. If you have multi instrument sections, such as strings built from solo instruments, you are F**Ked.

The only good I found is you can mix up NI kits, so you can use Gold, Silver, and GPO at once...

anything else anyone else notices misleading or unusable..

Re: GPO, Finale 2006 - Shoot me now...

Finale 2006 never claimed to be a "full VSTi host" but it did state that it would host NATIVE INSTRUMENT VSTi's, which it seems to do.

There are enough things that are still buggy that I won't be upgrading till I see some released 2006a,b,c revisions.

You can still do the building sections by solo instruments, but you would have to add a staff for each and hide them later. what a pain.

Overture 4 will be released very soon and it IS ALREADY a FULL VSTi host. I'll have both Finale and Overture.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    You can still do the building sections by solo instruments, but you would have to add a staff for each and hide them later. what a pain.
    Yes, that or put them in laters, which I believe are limited to 4? And you would have to mirror notes, or clone the main part...

Basically, its a bust...

OT4 = when?

Quote Originally Posted by newmewzikboy
    Yes, that or put them in laters, which I believe are limited to 4? And you would have to mirror notes, or clone the main part...

Basically, its a bust...

OT4 = when?
    Yep - layers are only 4 per staff.

And I have no idea about O.4 - I just know from seeing it firsthand at NAMM that is is a FANTASTIC Program. I use Mac so I will have to wait a little bit longer than the PC users. But should be soon.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Ov. 4 = End of this week or early next week (provided all goes well of course)

You are allowed 8 voices/layers in the full version of Overture 4, just like in 3. Not sure if that's what the question is or not.

Help me understand what you mean by needing to load multi string patches.

I will say this. Any saves of GPO Studio layouts can be opened easily in Overture 4. So if you have pre-built templates, you can just open them up in 4's VST rack. Also, any saved Overture 3 SE files can be easily converted over to 4 in this manner. We've even designed it so that in old 3 SE files, it automatically reassigns the old GPO Studio ports to the VST device port in 4 so you don't have to do anything at all but load the old .gpo file from Studio.

Awesome JB!!!!
    Thanks for the info!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

JB, its like this.

In GPO studio, I have 5 single violin patches panned in the left field as my VLI I section. The pannings are all different.

However, when you setup a score and VLN I stave in 2006 using standard MIDI out, the MIXER of Finale has changed to include both volumn and panning functions...so all these five different patches, which are all set to channel 1 with different vol and pans, are suddenly panned to the same position, and also have volumn setting changes the same as the MIXER settings.

Thats the GPO studio/Finale MIDI connection, and the VSTFinale configuration option is just as bad. Assumes 1 instrument or patch per stave.

Added bonus, all my config info in GPOStudio, if the multi instrument thing worked, would still have to be changed into Finale VST format to work

In Overture 4, the GPO Studio files are loaded as is. So whatever settings you have loaded in the .gpo save file will be maintained when you open it in Ov. 4. Same goes for Ambience reverb presets, which can be changed after you import them into Ov. 4's VST rack.

Video: Opening GPO Studio files in Ov. 4
    3 MB Flash Video

Just me loading in one of the 'example' GPO Studio/Overture 3 SE files from the Overture page from the Garritan website.

Thats mindbogglingly awesome!!!

Thanks.

I had to ask special for this feature and it got done in a day.

We've worked hard to make sure that we thought of every eventuality. And, well, we're still adding stuff in.

Go Back to forum