• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does this PC make sense?

Share/Bookmark

Does this PC make sense?

There's a place nearby that's been around a while that builds PCs. I got a quote for the PC described below, which I intend to use for VSL (Giga) as well as Kompakt/Kontakt 2 libraries like EWQLSO. They said $890, which seems a little low (I'm normally a Mac guy.) Am I just forgetting something, or is there some item I've made a mistake on?

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with Pentium motherboard
    Windows XP
    2 gig RAM
    80 gig and two 260 gig SATA drives
    USB and Firewire
    DVD drive

I'm considering a bump up to a 3.2Ghz processor. Is that worthwhile? I'm sticking with Pentium 4 because it works fine on my other VSL/Giga computer and I'm not into having the fastest and best, just something simple, inexpensive and reliable.

I'm also considering Windows XP Pro rather than Home. It boots up faster for me here, but maybe that's because of some particular setting the tech set up for me? Is there any other advantage to XP Pro for a music only rig?

Thanks for any input!

- Mike Greene

Re: Does this PC make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    There's a place nearby that's been around a while that builds PCs. I got a quote for the PC described below, which I intend to use for VSL (Giga) as well as Kompakt/Kontakt 2 libraries like EWQLSO. They said $890, which seems a little low (I'm normally a Mac guy.) Am I just forgetting something, or is there some item I've made a mistake on?

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with Pentium motherboard
    Windows XP
    2 gig RAM
    80 gig and two 260 gig SATA drives
    USB and Firewire
    DVD drive

I'm considering a bump up to a 3.2Ghz processor. Is that worthwhile? I'm sticking with Pentium 4 because it works fine on my other VSL/Giga computer and I'm not into having the fastest and best, just something simple, inexpensive and reliable.

I'm also considering Windows XP Pro rather than Home. It boots up faster for me here, but maybe that's because of some particular setting the tech set up for me? Is there any other advantage to XP Pro for a music only rig?

Thanks for any input!

- Mike Greene
    Mike- the first thing that jumps out at me is you don't specify what motherboard they're going to use. Personally, i would go with either an intel or asus motherboard, and only one with an intel chipset. i had a machine with an SiS chipset that i could never get to work right. I'm not sure if it's as critical today, but lots of people have traced problems to weirdo mobo conflicts.

and i assume the mobo will have built in video, as you didn't specify a video card either. (all my machines use mobo video, which i think is fine- no need for fancy graphics support on VI PC).

another thing to consider is what kind of case they will use, and how noisy it will be if it's not going to be in a sound proof area.

disclaimer: i've built a few machines for myself, but it's been awhile since i researched components, so some of my info might be dated.

actually- why not build your own? it's kinda a fun science project...

good luck!
    john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by John DeBorde
    actually- why not build your own? it's kinda a fun science project...

good luck!
    john
    Hmmm...
    I'm trying that.

It is fun, but quite tedious. Suddenly I realized that Pentium 4 doesn't support win64, so I found a good AMD64, a new motherboard, new RAM, a new video card, a new CD/DVD drive, but managed to keep the same hard drive.

It can be fun--or a nightmare. If you would like I can email or PM you the specs of my machine (going to end up somewhere around $1300 not including a monitor) and some things to think about that I (as a begginner) didn't think of.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Hmmm...
    I'm trying that.

It is fun, but quite tedious. Suddenly I realized that Pentium 4 doesn't support win64, so I found a good AMD64, a new motherboard, new RAM, a new video card, a new CD/DVD drive, but managed to keep the same hard drive.

It can be fun--or a nightmare. If you would like I can email or PM you the specs of my machine (going to end up somewhere around $1300 not including a monitor) and some things to think about that I (as a begginner) didn't think of.

-Chris
    no doubt it's a good idea to research the compatibility of components before you buy...or ask a friendly NS member what they're using.

speaking of which, is there any advantage to 64bit windows for giga at this point? will it even work with that?

-john
    John DeBorde

Thanks for the tips, John!

Building one myself sounds tempting, but I know myself well enough to know it would never get done! As you've seen, I've already got plenty of unfinished projects around here!

- Mike Greene

no doubt it's a good idea to research the compatibility of components before you buy...or ask a friendly NS member what they're using.

speaking of which, is there any advantage to 64bit windows for giga at this point? will it even work with that?

-john
    YES!!

Any friendly NS members who would like to help me out please email me!! (please don't pm...I'm running low on my 50 message limit)

I don't think gigastudio will have any immidiate advantages in the win64 rhelm, but when Windows Vista (or something like that) comes out there will be many software updates to 64 bit...probably. Y'all would probably know better than me. I've only been around for 14 years (15 on the 18th don't forget! ). So if I were you I'd just stay in the safe side and go with an AMD64. Plus, I've only heard good things about AMD processors. I've also heard that an AMD 2 ghz processor is equal to a Pentium 4 ghz processor, and an AMD 2ghz is about the same price as a Pentium 3 ghz, so another reason to go with AMD.

My $.02 again

-Chris
    Last edited by cptexas; 08-16-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: poor wording--what's new?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    If this is a custom build, and they're selling it for $890, make sure you're not getting a load of junk . . .
    Yeah, it sounded a little cheap to me, too. I'll double check all the things you mentioned. I'll be going there tomorrow to actually place the order, so I have a feeling the price will go up as I discover the various below par components. Thanks for the input, Lee!

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Plus, I've only heard good things about AMD processors. I've also heard that an AMD 2 ghz processor is equal to a Pentium 4 ghz processor, and an AMD 2ghz is about the same price as a Pentium 3 ghz, so another reason to go with AMD.
    That's tempting, but I'm too much of a wuss to go with anything other than a P4 processor on an Intel MoBo, because that's what worked on the very first try with my first GigaStudio system. Although AMD isn't exactly some odd experimental processor . . . hmmm . . .

- Mike Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    That's tempting, but I'm too much of a wuss to go with anything other than a P4 processor on an Intel MoBo, because that's what worked on the very first try with my first GigaStudio system. Although AMD isn't exactly some odd experimental processor . . . hmmm . . .

- Mike Greene
    well, one thing to keep in mind Mike, is that Tascam claims that giga is optimized for the P4, so if you want the best performance, P4 seems to be the way to go.

why don't you get the builder to fax you a parts list, and post it here to see if anyone's had compatibility problems with the components.

as i alluded to earlier, i tried to go the ultra cheapo route with a machine a few years ago that i could never get to work right...so caveat emptor! (this was a $400 win98 machine tho - yikes!

-john

ps- ever feel like you're getting more advice than you really wanted in the first place?
    John DeBorde

. . . Tascam claims that giga is optimized for the P4, so if you want the best performance, P4 seems to be the way to go. . .

ps- ever feel like you're getting more advice than you really wanted in the first place?
    Not on this thread, nope. Pretty much the "just right" amount.

I'll stick with the P4, then. I think I'm armed and ready! Thanks guys!

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum