• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Notation software for EWQLSO Gold

Share/Bookmark

Notation software for EWQLSO Gold

Greetings,
    I've just purchased EWQLSO Gold and would like some opinions on which notation softwares work well with it. Since I'm just starting out notating I would like to get something inexpensive. On the other hand I want to take advantage of notating various articulations too since I have aspirations of eventually writing for live ensembles.

Any ideas? Will EWQLSO Gold respond to any of the notated articulations in any of the software packages?

Thanks for your response... Great forum!

Marty

Re: Notation software for EWQLSO Gold

Check out the upcoming Overture 4 at the Geniesoft site. It will feature full VST hosting so you should be able to run Gold as a plugin without having to use virtual MIDI cables or other workarounds.

Finale 2006 states that they too have VST hosting but I haven't used it and there have been some posts from people saying it's got some bugs.

i'm using cubase sx 2.2.

i think cakewalk sonar is kind of popular too but i've never tried it.

Yes, I have used cakewalk for many years (even when it was dos). It has a competent score utility, but it does not reflect dynamics and articulations. Also each track has it's own staff whether you like it or not... er... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mdorren
    Yes, I have used cakewalk for many years (even when it was dos). It has a competent score utility, but it does not reflect dynamics and articulations. Also each track has it's own staff whether you like it or not... er... I think.
    cakewalk does work with articulations doesn't it?

I believe he's asked specifically about notation software.

Overture 4 has playback of articulations, customizable to Gold, and an xml. You can playback legato in it and do harp glisses. It is a smooth VST host and integrates perfectly with EW. You can even load all the articulations of an instrument on one staff and Overture can play them back based on symbols like sfz, fp, marcato, portato, mf, ff, expressive, rip, staccato marks, etc. I've pushed really hard for these features as a beta tester and you will be delighted by the results. Download the demo soon!
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

any notation software, just get midi yoke. There is even a write up about how to get it to work in Soundsonline forum
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

With Overture 4, the developer has paid close attention to the direction that sample libraries are taking the market. As mentioned by Jesse Hopkins here, everything, literally, everything in Overture 4 can affect playback of the score. This almost negates the need for multiple tracks. You are welcome to visit our forum at Geniesoft.com for more information about the program where I've provided some videos highlighting the various playback features. These aren't all inclusive as since the original videos were posted, vast improvements have been made to the program as it pertains to playback. And this isn't limited to any VST instrument. We've incorporated playback options that affect use with all VST instruments on the market today. I've used the program with GPO, EWQL Gold, Synful, the new Miroslav Philharmonik all natively within the programs VST host and they all take advantage of the various features in some shape or form. If you need to switch articulations, there are many ways to do this from one stave. Load two instruments into the VSTi in different midi channels and tell a slur to switch between them on the fly. Slurs can be set to extend the note duration to your liking, decrease velocities over the duration of the slur, send keyswitches or controller values. The same applies to all dynamic markings and articulations. Need to send a keyswitch with a staccato marking? No problem. We have keyswitch definitions in place for many popular products (adding more all the time) saving you the time to remember what keyswitch does what. And better yet, we're working hard to make all this as transparent as possible. You'll be able to add a slur and based on the sample library and instrument you're using, Overture 4 will pre-assign the proper midi manipulation to best playback that instrument without you ever having to touch a thing. But if you want to tweak it yourself, just double-click on the marking and have it play back how you like it. These are exciting times and we're bringing something unheard of to notation programs. We've made this program so powerful its scary. And all this we've done while at the same time making sure that its been done in a way that is intuative and easy for the user to grasp. And if you don't care about playback, which some notation users don't, that's fine, you don't have to worry with it.

I invite anyone who uses notation to visit our site and learn more about what our program offers you. And feel free to ask questions either via forum or to me privately should you have any.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

And if you don't care about notation output...

Go Back to forum