• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Roland JV-1080..still useful?

Share/Bookmark

Roland JV-1080..still useful?

I've been seeing alot of good deals on these lately around the web, and not owning one (never have), I was just curious if it would be useful to add to my collection of sounds and libs. Are any of the ethnic / orchestral sounds still useable by todays standards? I've definately got the synth side of thing covered with Atmosphere I think, but are there any decent patches making this synth worth picking up? Thanks in advance!

Rich
    Rich Douglas
    Composer / Sound Designer for Interactive Media
    http://www.richdouglas.com

Re: Roland JV-1080..still useful?

I would never part with my JV-1080.!....... NEVER!!!!!!!!!

It would be a very sad day indeed if it were to malfunction. But after 8 wonderful years, it's still going strong!

My final arrangements are a mixture of VST's and synths,.. I'll always have a few sounds from the JV. ( It's my workhorse.)

This device was ahead of it's time. I have a couple Korgs M-3r, O-3r, a Yamaha, and another Roland, D-70 ( keyboard)

The JV is by far the more powerful in terms of multi-timberal, and sound quality.

The larger size also makes it easier to navigate.

I also have the Orchestration expansion card…. fantastic sounds there!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich D
    I've been seeing alot of good deals on these lately around the web, and not owning one (never have), I was just curious if it would be useful to add to my collection of sounds and libs. Are any of the ethnic / orchestral sounds still useable by todays standards? I've definately got the synth side of thing covered with Atmosphere I think, but are there any decent patches making this synth worth picking up? Thanks in advance!

Rich
    some of the sounds on the expansion cards are fairly useable for recording/live work, but the orchestral sounds are very outdated. You can get many of the same sounds, except WAY WAY WAY better, from the Roland orchestral libraries, if you can find them (I sure as hell can't!)
    Soome of them seem to have shown up in the Edirol HQ Orchestral as well.

Alot of JV programs are really "rompler synthy", a sound I'm not fond of, so you might want to defeat all the goofy FX programming etc and just use the raw sounds.

Eh, why not try to find the expansion demo CD and take a listen for yourself. If you're used to the stuff people do with the sample libraries around this joint, you'll be seriously let down, but it WAS the standard rompler for a bazillion years, and I still use one live all the time.

I had a JV 90 once Rich, that I gave away to a friend as a present. That's a similar thing right?

I thought it was a really good sound to be honest. What sort of prices are these Rolands you mention now?

The Roland workhorses JV, XV and now Phantom series will not be out of order for a long time to come, not in my world. Things has definitely improved on that front since the 1080. That, as well as its successors still symbolizes rock solid stability and great value to me. You get alot of relief of confusing worktasks, instantly bringing you right down to the musicmaking part with a minimum of effort. While at the same time providing a very reasonable level of flexibility (programming) and possibilitys of adding new sound resources.

After listening to V~~~~~~~ score to 'Alexander the great' (2004), I was reminded that the question of realism is no longer an important issue there, and that can actually be a great relief. Using the VSL library (which happens to be my choice of lib) and not paying attention to however your programming sounds reasonably real or not, is more disturbing. In using VSL - and its competitors - things may sound pretty much as real - and thereby as unwanted - as a real instrument may sound, and at times this is more of a problem than an aim.

I think samples is not quite up there to replace those lush and very versatile yet synthetic soundscapes of the Roland workhorses - and their competitors.

EDIT: hmm, I wonder why the name of that very well-known composer got censored? since I can't get to work
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi
    You can get many of the same sounds, except WAY WAY WAY better, from the Roland orchestral libraries, if you can find them (I sure as hell can't!)
    The Roland sample libraries are very good, even today. The strings have been sampled in many different dynamic levels (pp, mp, mf, f, ff). They have also been recorded all over the world, so you've got kind of a different flavor to all of them. They are not closed miked and thats probably why they sound so good even with all the big libs today... I think they have the hollywood-sound for sure. I once did the opening cue from John Williams Harry Potter score, (Harrys wondrous world) and I must say I had problems tell the difference between the actual recording and the synth/sampled stuff once I played them both on repeat... Most people that have used the Roland strings have only good things to say about it. I won't stop using mine until I find a worthy replacement, and so far I have not! I know Miroslav will kick ~~~ once I get it but for that über-big sound I'll probably still use Roland a bit!

Now back to what I really quoted you for: You can find the Roland L-CDX-04 and L-CDX03 at Sweetwater. Here is a direct link: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/category/c850

Both libraries (the "strings & perc", and the winds & brass") are worth owing and they are ridiculously cheap! Anyway, check them out.

PS: Thomas J used to use these strings and there are even a demo which he did at the SAMs brass site. Its called "Flight through Rivendell". Check it out! Its cool stuff and he uses the Roland strings in it. The brass, of course is SAM (apart from some custom-brass I think)...

peace!

Shantar

Thanks guys. I own quite a few libs ranging from Project Sam to SISS and kinda figured the sound of the Roland JV would be a bit dated... then again it is a piece of history, and a good way to get that Enya, Thomas Newman percussion sound, or so I hear. I'm seeing these synths in the range of $250 to $400 depending on who is selling. Also, I keep hearing that some of the brass Zimmer used to use is on one or two of the expansion cards, found that to be rather interesting. We'll see, still havent decided yet, I did after all just drop some cash on a new workstation desk. Though anymore info you guys can give me, or even better, some MP3's that utilize this synth, it would be most helpful. That is wierd, dunno why his name is censored.. very odd.

Rich
    Rich Douglas

Does anyone know of there are demos for the Roland Strings (and brass/winds too, why not) floating about anywhere? Before VSL and others, the Roland orchestral sounds were pretty much all I used in a few different hardware flavours... they were the best at the time. I've still hung on to my XV-3080 with the Complete Orchestra expansion board, even though I don't really use it anymore... I also thought that the Edirol Orchestral package wasn't too shabby - certainly a much better sound using those same samples.
    I would be curious to hear how much difference there is in the 'full' sample version (also what articulations are available?).

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Does anyone know of there are demos for the Roland Strings (and brass/winds too, why not) floating about anywhere? .. I would be curious to hear how much difference there is in the 'full' sample version (also what articulations are available?).
    Not many demos around, at least not any seriously made besides the fastfood internal demos that comes with many hardwares. Since hardware synths are probably less sold via the internet one might suspect that the marketing of those sounds is equally abscent since they cannot be found besides purchasing the hardware.

There may be other sites with demos as well, with better programming in the meaning of better demonstrating the expressivity of the sounds. But for a start; Rolands demo page of their expansion cards for the XV & Phantom series is here:
    http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/F.../srx_demo.html

and some L-CDX demos (available as sample CDs) can be found here:
    http://www.roland.co.uk/demos1.htm
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Thanks! Wow, the world instruments for the phantom taken from the earlier sets are REALLY impressive for the most part...

Rich
    Rich Douglas

Go Back to forum