• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composer Needed for Indie Film

Share/Bookmark

Composer Needed for Indie Film

Hi All,

I'm posting here because I use GPO myself, and know that it can produce the type of sounds I'm looking for. I just don't have time to do the score for this film myself. I wish I did, but I'm knee deep in the sound fx, color correction, and publicity, and the premiere is quickly approaching.

Here is all of the relevant info about the film:

The premiere is going to be in early October at The Charles Theater here in Baltimore (probably Thursday, October 6th), with a screening at the Creative Alliance (also in Baltimore) the following Wednesday (the 12th), and probably a screening at The Top Floor Theater (another Baltimore Theater) the following Saturday. So it would need to be completely finished at least a week or two prior to that so that I could have time to do a proper mix and send out screeners to the papers and the radio and TV stations. So, we're looking at a mid-September deadline, which I realize is not a lot of time.

A short description of the film: it's about people who die, and then come back to life, only to find that getting their lives back in order isn't as easy as they'd expected. It's a zombie movie, but they don't eat brains. As a result, it's kind of a comedy/drama in the vein of "Sixteen Candles", "One Crazy Summer" or various other cool 80's movies. You should be able to download the trailer for the movie from the main page at (argh - the forum won't let me post websites - you can do a google search for 37.5 Productions). It really doesn't make much sense of the plot, but it'll give you some idea of the look and tone of the different segments.

There are three sections to the film:
    1. Rock Zombie - This is about an 80's rock star who comes back to life and tries to get his band back together. The music for this is rock oriented, and is already finished.
    2. Mother In-Law Zombie - About an evil mother in-law who torments her daughter in-law. She dies and then comes back to life with the intention of finally knocking off her daughter in-law so that she can be alone with her son forever. The main theme for this is done, as is some of the underscoring, but if you also wanted to take a crack at this, you could. The music for this is more of a Danny Elfman creepy/funny Tim Burton kind of thing.
    3. Corporate Zombie - This is the one I need help on. The story involves a regular nice guy who is trying to get ahead at work, get married to his girlfriend, and generally live the American dream. He dies in a freak accident, and when he comes back to life he realizes that he was pretty expendable, since his girlfriend got together with someone a week after he died and his boss replaced him with a machine. So, his former life in shambles, he sets about trying to create a whole new life for himself. It's pretty much a romantic comedy, as the zombie ends up meeting a goth girl who is the daughter of his former corrupt boss. They fall in love and eventually expose the boss. The whole thing has a 2-strip Technicolor look to it, like "The Black Pirate", or kind of like the early scenes in "The Aviator". It runs about 45 minutes, and will probably need about 30 minutes of music.

We just released a 30 minute "teaser" of the film this past weekend at the Hondance Film and Arts festival, which consisted of blocks of scenes from each section. I found that I had a really difficult time working on the music for "Corporate Zombie", even though the other two segments came together pretty easily. Since I have a mid-September deadline, I decided that my options were to either throw something together that I wouldn't ultimately be happy with, or get someone with more orchestrating experience than myself to score it. If I had another year, I could probably do it myself and be happy with it, but that's just not going to happen. I'd much rather give someone else the opportunity to get their stuff heard by a large audience, and hopefully get some work out of it afterwards.

As I mentioned above, if you felt like taking on the "Mother In-Law" segment, you could do that, too. I'm happy with the current theme (which is a tuba on an oompa-ish pattern for the bass, some flittering flutes and piccolos, and an oboe on the melody), but the rest is up in the air.

Unfortunately, due to our small budget, there is no upfront payment. However, once we make all of our money back from the production (and our budget was very small, so that shouldn't be a problem), all of the major contributors to the film will start getting paid. The payment will work on a "point" system; the points are still negotiable at this point, and will probably remain so until we get picked up for distribution. We'll be sending the film off to a bunch of festivals, and will be promoting it during a screening of one of our short films at SXSW in March, so hopefully we won't have any trouble getting distribution.

At this point I have a few different people who have shown interest in composing the film. What I'd like to do is to send everyone who is interested a disk with a scene from the movie on it (in whatever format you prefer - AVI, Quicktime, DV, mpeg2, etc), and have each person score that one scene. I'll pick the best one, and the runner-up can score the "Mother In-Law Zombie" section if they want to. Even if you aren't chosen, everyone who participates gets to keep the scene that they scored for use in their demo reels. If this sounds good to you, please e-mail me (at the address in my profile or on the website) your address and file format of choice so that I can send you a copy of the scene.

Thanks,
    Ryan Graham
    37.5 Productions

Re: Composer Needed for Indie Film

Ryan,

It's very cool to see people posting gigs here for the community. Much success on your project!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Yes! Thank you for consider us for your project. You will find much talent here!
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Ryan,

Thanks for posting about this opportunity. You've come to the right place.

If you email me I have some people I could recommend.

Wishing you great success with your film.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by 37point5
    Hi All,

I'm posting here because I use GPO myself, and know that it can produce the type of sounds I'm looking for. I just don't have time to do the score for this film myself. I wish I did, but I'm knee deep in the sound fx, color correction, and publicity, and the premiere is quickly approaching.

Here is all of the relevant info about the film:

The premiere is going to be in early October at The Charles Theater here in Baltimore (probably Thursday, October 6th), with a screening at the Creative Alliance (also in Baltimore) the following Wednesday (the 12th), and probably a screening at The Top Floor Theater (another Baltimore Theater) the following Saturday. So it would need to be completely finished at least a week or two prior to that so that I could have time to do a proper mix and send out screeners to the papers and the radio and TV stations. So, we're looking at a mid-September deadline, which I realize is not a lot of time.

A short description of the film: it's about people who die, and then come back to life, only to find that getting their lives back in order isn't as easy as they'd expected. It's a zombie movie, but they don't eat brains. As a result, it's kind of a comedy/drama in the vein of "Sixteen Candles", "One Crazy Summer" or various other cool 80's movies. You should be able to download the trailer for the movie from the main page at (argh - the forum won't let me post websites - you can do a google search for 37.5 Productions). It really doesn't make much sense of the plot, but it'll give you some idea of the look and tone of the different segments.

There are three sections to the film:
    1. Rock Zombie - This is about an 80's rock star who comes back to life and tries to get his band back together. The music for this is rock oriented, and is already finished.
    2. Mother In-Law Zombie - About an evil mother in-law who torments her daughter in-law. She dies and then comes back to life with the intention of finally knocking off her daughter in-law so that she can be alone with her son forever. The main theme for this is done, as is some of the underscoring, but if you also wanted to take a crack at this, you could. The music for this is more of a Danny Elfman creepy/funny Tim Burton kind of thing.
    3. Corporate Zombie - This is the one I need help on. The story involves a regular nice guy who is trying to get ahead at work, get married to his girlfriend, and generally live the American dream. He dies in a freak accident, and when he comes back to life he realizes that he was pretty expendable, since his girlfriend got together with someone a week after he died and his boss replaced him with a machine. So, his former life in shambles, he sets about trying to create a whole new life for himself. It's pretty much a romantic comedy, as the zombie ends up meeting a goth girl who is the daughter of his former corrupt boss. They fall in love and eventually expose the boss. The whole thing has a 2-strip Technicolor look to it, like "The Black Pirate", or kind of like the early scenes in "The Aviator". It runs about 45 minutes, and will probably need about 30 minutes of music.

We just released a 30 minute "teaser" of the film this past weekend at the Hondance Film and Arts festival, which consisted of blocks of scenes from each section. I found that I had a really difficult time working on the music for "Corporate Zombie", even though the other two segments came together pretty easily. Since I have a mid-September deadline, I decided that my options were to either throw something together that I wouldn't ultimately be happy with, or get someone with more orchestrating experience than myself to score it. If I had another year, I could probably do it myself and be happy with it, but that's just not going to happen. I'd much rather give someone else the opportunity to get their stuff heard by a large audience, and hopefully get some work out of it afterwards.

As I mentioned above, if you felt like taking on the "Mother In-Law" segment, you could do that, too. I'm happy with the current theme (which is a tuba on an oompa-ish pattern for the bass, some flittering flutes and piccolos, and an oboe on the melody), but the rest is up in the air.

Unfortunately, due to our small budget, there is no upfront payment. However, once we make all of our money back from the production (and our budget was very small, so that shouldn't be a problem), all of the major contributors to the film will start getting paid. The payment will work on a "point" system; the points are still negotiable at this point, and will probably remain so until we get picked up for distribution. We'll be sending the film off to a bunch of festivals, and will be promoting it during a screening of one of our short films at SXSW in March, so hopefully we won't have any trouble getting distribution.

At this point I have a few different people who have shown interest in composing the film. What I'd like to do is to send everyone who is interested a disk with a scene from the movie on it (in whatever format you prefer - AVI, Quicktime, DV, mpeg2, etc), and have each person score that one scene. I'll pick the best one, and the runner-up can score the "Mother In-Law Zombie" section if they want to. Even if you aren't chosen, everyone who participates gets to keep the scene that they scored for use in their demo reels. If this sounds good to you, please e-mail me (at the address in my profile or on the website) your address and file format of choice so that I can send you a copy of the scene.

Thanks,
    Ryan Graham
    37.5 Productions

Thanks for the support everyone. Glad that the post was seen as a mutually beneficial situation, and not as some sort of spam! I've been getting lots of great responses, and will be contacting everyone who has responded this evening; disks and a letter will be sent out tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,
    Ryan Graham
    37.5 Productions

Go Back to forum