• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What styles of music do you compose?

Share/Bookmark

What styles of music do you compose?

It's a given that there's a lot of symphonic compositions going on here with GPO. However, I'd like to get a sense of what other styles of music you compose, with or without GPO. For instance, I'm sure there's folks out there who spend time in the studio with GPO and then go out to play live gigs in bar bands, etc.

I'll throw mine out first. Although I'm not a strong symphonic composer, I initially got GPO with the intent of doing some film work in the future (if I ever get caught up with my company and reclaim my spare time!). Additionally, I'm a huge fan of the big band swing music of the 40s, ala Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, etc., and will definitely be playing around with JABB in that regard.

Probably my primary direction for many years was rock & roll (although that's a pretty broad label), both in bands and in the studio. Since I've been in Atlanta, though, I've been writing a lot more on acoustic guitar, still rock / pop oriented stuff. Orchestral instrumentation still comes into play with some of this. I mean, if the Who can include French horns, I figure there's no rules in rock.

Again, time permitting, I'd like to get around to composing what I guess you'd call New Age instrumental music, which is what I listen to when I take the phones off the hook on Sundays.

Although my taste in music is much more diverse than this, these are the things that clamor for my attention when I'm in the studio or want to play live gigs. What about the rest of you? We know you do some wonderful symphonic compositions. What else do you do?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: What styles of music do you compose?

Ooh! Cool topic!
    I don't really know what style of music I write in. I want to say classical, but sometimes it gets a little romantic sounding or baroque sounding. I always use a romantic-sized orchestra, but sometimes make them play baroque-style music or classical or romantic...I don't really know. I have to write more before I can really make a reasonable decision.

-Chris

Strictly legit...always been this way since age 4...although I would describe it of a neoclassic nature, maybe more uplifting than serious art. Tend to write more chamber music, as I have an affinity for intimate musical settings, but leaning more to affordable chamber studio orchestra for recording and for number of performances.

FS, which once was propelling for me, is not my forte, and I will probably never write in that genre again...unless they pay me tons of money...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    It's a given that there's a lot of symphonic compositions going on here with GPO. However, I'd like to get a sense of what other styles of music you compose, with or without GPO. For instance, I'm sure there's folks out there who spend time in the studio with GPO and then go out to play live gigs in bar bands, etc. ...
    Wow! Your musical history is so very similar to mine. In college (the 70's) I studied the classics, but in the end I received a degree in music with a jazz guitar emphasis. Started off as a teenager making weekend $ playing guitar and bass in 60's/70's rock bands.

More recently, have done dinner and wedding casuals, but not before owning a small independent new age music label (now defunct) in the 80's. The game industry for a while put a hault to my playing live (90's), but now that that's pretty much over, I have returned to gigging live...and I find that I enjoy it again (and I still use midi...even playing live...with my midi guitar).

This past weekend my trio played at an art gallery exhibit assaulting listeners with a variety of folk, and blues, and (old-skool) country, and jazz, and many hybrids thereof. It was fun, and we got many compliments...and life is good again!

Sorry -- I didn't mean to bore you with a chronology, but somehow I thought it helped.
    ~Rudy
    helmproductions.com
    =====================
    Rock-a-doodle-doooo!!

I know what you mean about the variety. I forgot to mention my stint on the road doing the Holiday Inn circuit, everything from standards to disco to rock to country to pop to (as my band leader was fond of doing to me) "It's in C# - just watch my fingers..."

And yes, even "Rawhide, in C". Honest.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I primarily compose orchestral music either for film or just because. I'm not very good at writing jazz or rock-style tunes. They usually turn out sounding very embarrassing. So I just keep doing what I do best.

I really like playing chamber music, but I could never get a group going. No one was as interested in the genre, or they were too busy. I haven't written much in the way of chamber music, but I think that would have done wonders for my inspiration.

I can't describe what I do. It's a mish-mash.

You'll have to click the link to find out.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    I can't describe what I do. It's a mish-mash.
    Any relation to "The Monster Mash"?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I'm trying a bit of everything. New Age, electronica, jazz, pop. I really enjoy developing anything that comes into mind. With all the new sounds available, there's no limit to the styles of music we can create. Somethings are successful, others are tucked away waiting for revisions. I haven't had any country inspirations, yet, but I'll keep an open mind. My husband and I are creating a library on our website. Check it out if you have a minute.

Thanks for listening to me blab.
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Smile Re: What styles of music do you compose?

Some people might know, but I write choral music too.

like this
    http://www.wisemanproject.com/mp3s/H...eYou-April.mp3
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Go Back to forum