• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius+Tracktion+GPO

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius+Tracktion+GPO

Hi everyone,

Anyone using Sibelius+Tracktion+GPO?

I like to audition the instruments during composition, so that during playback or editing within Sibelius, all the GPO instruments sound. This works well when you have no more than 8 staves in Sibelius, due to the 8 instrument limit imposed by the GPO player. I just don't know how to overcome this with scores containing more than 8 staves. As far as I understand, Sibelius routes the midi in 16-channels, one channel per stave, to wherever - in my case, into a single track within Tracktion, with a GPO player with the loaded instruments. When you have more than 8 staves - how do you route channels 9-16 to a second GPO player? As I indicated erlier, all staves must sound during editing, composition and playback from within Sibelius. I want to hear what I'm composing, in other words.

Anyone found a solution?

Thank you,

Regards
    Deon

Re: Sibelius+Tracktion+GPO

Hi Deon

I was surprised to see someone from SA on the forum. Hoe gaan dit in SA?

Sorry, I can't help you with your question. Although I'm a Sibelius user, I don't know anything about Tracktion. But I'm sure someone will help you soon. Just thought I'd say HI . I haven't been in Africa for since the previous century (sjoe, dit klink lank ), used to live in PMB.

Good luck, BTW, did you check out the tutorials on the GPO website? THey have a tutorial for Trcaktion and Sibelius.

Kind REgards.

LouisD

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by dgp
    This works well when you have no more than 8 staves in Sibelius, due to the 8 instrument limit imposed by the GPO player. I just don't know how to overcome this with scores containing more than 8 staves.
    At least on the Mac, GPO comes with the Personal Orchestra Studio application, that lets you open up to eight Kontakt Player. This gives you 8 x8 single isntruments.

In Sibelius, I see each of the eight players as a separate entity (i.e., sampler). To choose one of the instruments within each entity, I use midi channels 1-8. So, I have Player 1-Channel 1, up to Player 8-Channel 8.

Regards,
    Paolo

HI Deon!

Welcome to the best forum on earth!

I am not a Sibelius user, but am an AVID Tracktion user.

You don't have to have Tracktion in order to "audition" what Sibelius is playing. You can run GPO Studio which should have come with GPO. It is a stand-alone VST host for the Garritan Personal Orchestra and allows 64 channels routed to 64 different instruments.
    If you are just using the Stand-alone GPO player and Sibelius, you CANNOT get more than eight instruments to load. But if you run GPO Studio, you can run EIGHT players of GPO with EIGHT instruments each. (hence the 64)

Look
    HERE for a nice tutorial on how to get Sibelius to work well with GPO.

As far as Tracktion goes, it CAN work with GPO Studio, but not very well when playing LIVE into it, but GPO as VST works very well. I just basically use ONE instrument PER TRACK, and don't have to deal with routing midi channels.

Good luck!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thank you so much guys for the help!

I figured out how to do it. Last night I discovered the Sibelius Mixer! This tool allows u to patch a staff to a midi channel. So, using midi patch bay, I created 2 midi devices, patched the first 8 staves to the first midi device, channels 1-8, and the next 8 staves to the 2nd midi device, channels 1-8, then in Tracktion, have the first midi device routing midi to a GPO player, and the second midi device routing midi to another GPO player. It works perfectly. I can't use GPO studio since it is too heavy. Tracktion is nice n light on RAM and resources. Although I only use it as a GPO player host, I believe it's one hot DAW.

to LouisD: Hey, hoe gaan dit? Lekker koud en nat hier in Kaapstad. Dit sneeu binneland. Goed gaan.

Regards,
    Deon

Hi DGP

I'm an avid Sibelius User, and I just got GPO recently. I would love to hear some of the stuff you've done with Sibelius and GPO.

MsP

Go Back to forum