• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO - Finale 2006 Install Order?

Share/Bookmark

GPO - Finale 2006 Install Order?

I just finished putting together a brand new machine I purchased to run Finale 2006, GPO (purchased in the recent group buy), and Nuendo 3.0.

Should I install Finale 2006 along with its version of GPO first, or skip the Finale version altogether or should I install GPO full version separately? What is the optimum way to get this up and working? I would very much appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

DaveBTW

Re: GPO - Finale 2006 Install Order?

You don't need GPO Finale Edition when you've got GPO Full. If you install GPO Full (latest version 1.1.8.3) before Finale06, you will just have to run the GPO updater again after installing Finale, so I suggest you install GPO (or at least the v.1.1.8.3 updater) after Finale.

BTW Dave, welcome to the GPO Forum.

In fact, save space and make sure you dont install the FINALE GPO edition...

Thanks for the answer. My gut reaction was to install Finale, then the full GPO. Isn't there a patch that enables the Finale tie-in to GPO that is also required, or is that what you mean by the GPO updater?

Since I usually install Finale on both my laptop and my workstation, and since my old laptop has limited memory (512Meg) I am considering installing the Finale GPO on the laptop, and the new full version of GPO I purchased in the group buy on my new workstation. I know that the number of sounds and flexibility will be limited on the laptop, but I should be able to get some things to work OK there.

Most of my music is choral with simple organ or instrumental accompaniment so I won't be using large number of tracks. Can the Finale GPO version still be usuable on my limited laptop? Should I bother?

Quote Originally Posted by davebtw
    Can the Finale GPO version still be usuable on my limited laptop? Should I bother?
    The Finale/GPO version does not use any less of your computer's resources than the full version. I don't see how you'd have anything to gain by installing Finale/GPO instead of the full version on your laptop. Unless disk space is an issue.

You can find a link to the GPO updater in one of the sticky threads in the discussion forum. Run the updater after you've installed Finale.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    The Finale/GPO version does not use any less of your computer's resources than the full version. I don't see how you'd have anything to gain by installing Finale/GPO instead of the full version on your laptop. Unless disk space is an issue.

You can find a link to the GPO updater in one of the sticky threads in the discussion forum. Run the updater after you've installed Finale.

Jeff
    It was my understanding that the number of samples you load into memory is variable depending upon the number of instruments you plan to use. My Laptop is maxed out at 512 Meg so that would (theoretically) limit the total number of instruments I could load.

My thinking (which may be incorrect) is that the Finale GPO version would be potentially smaller because it has fewer instruments.

My other theory is that that way I could have both Garritan products registered.

Perhaps none of this matters at all. I'm just thinking out loud before I install.

Dave

Dave,

Maybe I was unclear. If you load a sample from Finale/GPO or load the exact same sample from the full GPO, they both are the same size sample. There are just fewer to choose from in the Finale edition.

The Finale/GPO edition is smaller, but only in the total disk space it occupies.

Jeff

Thanks, makes perfect sense!

I will be trying all of this this weekend.

Dave

Dave, it seems I was a wee bit too hasty, when I advised you not to install GPO Finale Edition. See this post by Tom Hopkins .

Go Back to forum