• Register
  • Help

Topic: need help with Ambience in Cubase LE in OSX

Share/Bookmark

need help with Ambience in Cubase LE in OSX

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to GPO (and MIDI in general), and am working on my first project with GPO. I'm using some string sounds, in Cubase LE on OSX 10.3.9 (LE is similar to Cubase SE-- it came bundled with my Presonus Firewire Audio interface).

I copied the "Ambience" component file to the exact folder where the documentation says to copy it.

(Library-audio-plug-ins-components -- in the same place where the "Personal Orchestra" component), but Ambience does not show up in Cubase as a VST effect.

I haven't seen others posting a similar problem, so I'm assuming I am missing something here. I have searched through my hard drive and have found at least 3 different folders that look like "VST" "Plug-ins" "components" etc. etc. all my other VST stuff (including GPO) had an installer that did this stuff automatically.

So I guess my question is, where exactly am I supposed to copy files to in order for it to show up in Cubase as a VST Effect? and is it just the component file, or do I need to copy the file that is just called "Ambience" and has an icon? Do I need to do it in multiples places?

Thanks everyone.

Re: need help with Ambience in Cubase LE in OSX

It is "Garritan Ambience.dll" you need to place and it does not have an icon. If the icon file is a .exe file, it would be the installer (I can't remember how I installed it). Run it and it will install into the GPO\Studio\VSTplugins folder, from where you copy the .dll to the Cubase\VSTplugins folder (assuming the folder structure is similar to that of Cubasis VST 4).

Sorry, I just now see that you're on the Mac side of the fence, so the folder structure may be different than on a PC.
    Last edited by Nickie Fønshauge; 08-15-2005 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Mac vs PC

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    It is "Garritan Ambience.dll" you need to place and it does not have an icon. If the icon file is a .exe file, it would be the installer (I can't remember how I installed it). Run it and it will install into the GPO\Studio\VSTplugins folder, from where you copy the .dll to the Cubase\VSTplugins folder (assuming the folder structure is similar to that of Cubasis VST 4).

Sorry, I just now see that you're on the Mac side of the fence, so the folder structure may be different than on a PC.
    Thanks, but the Mac side is different. For one, there are no dll files (although I'm guessing that component is a similar idea). When I get home I'll see if I can find a VSTPlugin folder specifically for Cubase (maybe in Application Support?). Ambience does work in GPO Studio, so I'll also try to replicate the way it is used there.

Anyone else? Also does anyone know a site or forum that explains the directory structure for audio/MIDI/VST plug-ins on OSX?

Hi nigamshah,

First let me welcome you to the forum. I hope your time spent with GPO is both fun and rewarding.

I don’t use Cubase. I use Digital Performer on my Mac. In OSX, Audio Units plugins are the format of choice. I believe that Ambiance comes as an audio unit. You have the correct location for installing this au plugin. Any OSX sequencing software that I’m at all familiar with recognizes and runs audio units plugins. With Digital Performer we need a wrapper to run VST software. I suspect that is why Ambience is not showing up.

If you installed the VST version, I would drag it into the trash and install the AU version in your components folder. On a Mac if you have your choice, always use the AU version of a plugin. While some VST software is encoded to run on a Mac, other times you need a wrapper. I would use both the AU version of GPO and the AU version of any plugin if possible since it is the Mac’s native tongue. If however you are going to use GPO Studio, which is VST, it will run well on a Mac. I use GPO Studio when using the Overture notation program, but under DP I find the AU version works better.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the forum.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett

If you installed the VST version, I would drag it into the trash and install the AU version in your components folder. On a Mac if you have your choice, always use the AU version of a plugin. While some VST software is encoded to run on a Mac, other times you need a wrapper. I would use both the AU version of GPO and the AU version of any plugin if possible since it is the Mac’s native tongue. If however you are going to use GPO Studio, which is VST, it will run well on a Mac. I use GPO Studio when using the Overture notation program, but under DP I find the AU version works better.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome to the forum.

Karl
    After some fiddling, I got it working last night. In case it helps anyone else, here's what I did and what I figured out (thanks to your posts):

1. First I deleted every copy of the both Plug-in files that I installed, so I could start over from scratch.

2. Going back to the original files from the GPO CD, I "got info" for both. The file called "Ambience" with no extension showed as a VST Plug-In file, while the one with the component extension showed as a "package". I figured that meant it was the AU file.

3. I copied the AU file into the Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components folder, where the Personal Orchestra and Kompakt component files were. Cubase still didn't recognize it, at which point I was getting real frustrated, since it looked like I was doing everything right.

4. After re-reading Karl's post, it occurred to me that maybe the AU file is installed correctly, but the problem is with Cubase. So I opened up Garage Band, which was made to work with AU, and yes indeed, Ambience showed up.

5. Thinking that Steinberg developed the VST protocol, and therefore Cubase HAS to work with it, I copied the VST plug-in (the one called "Ambience") in Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST. In that folder were Personal Orchestra.VST and Kompakt.VST. Hmmm....

6. I opened up Cubase, and VOILA! There it was. I still don't know why Cubase didn't recognize the AU file, but I sure am glad that GPO came with a VST version.

In hindsight it was kind of obvious, but the documentation doesn't say anything about the VST file on the Mac. Of course, by the time I got it working, it was late, so I didn't have time to actually use it, but I'm looking forward to making some music (I hope). Thanks guys.

Go Back to forum