• Register
  • Help

Topic: 16 MB cache HDDs

Share/Bookmark

Arrow 16 MB cache HDDs

First off, is GS3 reading data from HDDs randomly, or sequentially?
    Secondly, what benefits do a 16MB cache provide. It seems as though the 2MB low latency cache on Pentium M's really helps out in respect to loading more instances of Gigapulse, but is it beneficial to have on a HDD? I currently use 2 Raptors in a RAID 1 setup, with a hotspare close by. ( Paranoid newbie to computer gigging live ). I'm starting to see that my little 74GB HDDs are starting to shrink, due to my continuous purchasing of high quality orchestral DVDs. That's why I'm thinking of buying a couple of WD2500KS's to replace the Raptors. Hell, I've only has them for 2 months, and I'm already upgrading. They are housed in an Enhanced Technology SATA RAID Cage. Samples are on 2 x WD740Gs, Gigapulse is on a WD360G, O.S. + APPs on a WD360G also. The WD2500s have 16MB cache, and I think 250GB HDDs should be enough. Damn, I'm starting to sound like I'm going to the Moon. The software approach to live performance sure is time consuming.

Re: 16 MB cache HDDs

Are you using a laptop with these drives external?
    BH

Cool Re: 16 MB cache HDDs

The drives are housed in an Enhanced Technology SATA RAID cage, which is mounted internally in a 4U chassis.

Tom's Hardware is informative. But Storagereview is a dedicated HDD site that uses Sound Forge for it's benchmarking.

So I'm still wondering, since no site I know of benchmarks GS3, I can't find out how to compare certain benchmarks with GS3, and don't know if GS3 extracts audio in a random or sequential nature. My current setup works just fine, but since larger caches on DVD's seem to help out with the nature of audio, thought on HDD's it might be beneficial. Someday, maybe the genius who made Nemesys what it is might write a book, or video about it. I'd sure as hell would buy it. Judging by the size and input of this forum it's a no brainer.

Go Back to forum