• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: No new songs for awhile

Share/Bookmark

No new songs for awhile

Hi, all.

Just to let you know...

After my initial posts of the brass quartet (Baroque Boogie) and the
    woodwind piece (PBS Theme), it may be awhile before ai can post again.

I lost ALL THREE of my computers due to some of the wonderful lightning that accompanies the rainy nights in Georgia, as well as numerous other electronics.

This is also a reminder to "y'all" that even systems on surge protection are not immune. The path for all my damage was through the DSL modem and my router. This even clobbered the two machines that were off at the time.

I guess it's time to look at one of those whole house surge protectors!!!
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Re: No new songs for awhile

Hi Bill,

I'm so sorry for your terrible bad luck!!! Thanks for the reminder about lightning though!! I know that I've been lax... I hope that you're able to get up and running soon Good luck!!!

Steph

That definitely stinks . . . Before I got GPO, one of my older computers crashed, and I lost a lot of my music . . . it stinks, but as long as you still have the desire to compose, the most important thing has not been lost!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

That's a shame Bill,,,

I feel for ya, man what a drag.
    This too shall pass.

dpDan

Unhappy Re: No new songs for awhile

Quote Originally Posted by billwright-pwa
    Hi, all.
    I lost ALL THREE of my computers due to some of the wonderful lightning that accompanies the rainy nights in Georgia, as well as numerous other electronics.

This is also a reminder to "y'all" that even systems on surge protection are not immune. The path for all my damage was through the DSL modem and my router. This even clobbered the two machines that were off at the time.

I live in Oklahoma. You wanna talk about lightning?

You bring up an issue that is too often ignored.

Basic Lightning 101

Some things to remember:

The VAST majority of catastrophic lightning damage to computers comes through the phone line Phone lines are not grounded in the normal sense, they are a current loop back to the Central Office (or cabinet/hut if you are on a pair gain system).

When lightning strikes a nearby line, it of course seeks to ground. A normal (as opposed to wireless) phone takes its' power from the phone line and provides no path to ground. (Unless you are holding it and YOU are grounded, hint hint) Your Computer is not so lucky.

Lightning traveling in on your phone line can carve (literally) a nice little path in from your modem/network card, across the mobo, and out the ground line of your power supply. Ouch.

This brings us to surge protectors.

First off, that's what they are: Surge protectors
    NOT Lightning arresters.
    They provide varying degrees of protection against variable line surges. The sorts of things that come from poor power conditioning, startup surges from power equipment etc. They haven't a prayer against a direct (or even near) lightning strike. If a bolt of energy hotter than the sun can blast across a mile or more of sky, what chance does a little silicon and copper shunt circuit have? Lightning is a one way train. No turning back. Once it is in, it WILL exit, by whatever means necessary. Your computer is looking pretty good with all that nice copper in there. If it were plugged into a phone line that took a hit, it wouldn't matter if your PC was made of wood. Kablam.

Also, many of you probably live in older homes. Homes that were wired before grounding was a part of the code. VERY IMPORTANT: If that electrical outlet is not grounded, your surge protector won't work! Even for the little stuff it's made to handle. It must have a proper ground in order to shunt the current to a safe path. Back through your neutral doesn't cut it. The strike may have come IN on the neutral, and lightning doesn't like to retrace its' steps.

Do Not Assume a good ground just because there is a third hole in your recept. In many many old houses, homeowners through the years changed out the recepts without changing the wiring because they got tired of cutting the ground pins off things. These same idiots never stopped to wonder why the ground pin was there. Some found out the hard way.

We won't even get into GFCIs.

Go to your local hardware store. You can get a little tester for about five bucks that just plugs in like a cord that will tell if all is right with your electrical world. If it isn't call the electrician. This isn't really a place to cut corners with uncle Eddie who wires up model trains. It's extremely simple, IF you know what to do. If not you are worse off with a false sense of security that just might kill you someday. Remember when Uncle Eddie lit up brighter than the Christmas tree when he 'fixed' the lighted star? (course Eddie was already lit from the egg nog but...)

Nuff said.

Whole house protectors do work better, because of the presense of an immediate ground at the box, BUT most of these are only on the power lines. They won't do a thing to help on a phone or cable line (yes cable can get hit too).

When you buy a surge protector, what you are really buying is an insurance policy from the company that made it, so go with a good company. Some like APC have a good rep for paying on claims for equipment on their systems. Just don't expect a twenty buck (or even a HUNDRED and twenty) little strip to save your bacon. Even high end million dollar power conditioning systems have been known to fail. Again, what chance your K-Mart special?

I hear all the time "but I turn my computer off." As you see here, that really doesn't matter. You are still providing a path to ground even when it's off.

The only 100% solution to lightning protection is to UNPLUG THE DANGED THINGS! The power and data connections.

Just flipping the little switch on the surge strip doesn't cut it either. Remember again: It arced across perhaps MILES of sky. 3/4 of an inch aren't gonna faze it.

Perhaps I should have moved this to the main forum where more would read it.

Michael

Eeek - sorry to hear that. I also learned that lesson the hard way.
    I downloaded the Baroque Boogie and can host it (ot any other song) if you want.
    Gary

Hi, all.

Just to let you know...

After my initial posts of the brass quartet (Baroque Boogie) and the
    woodwind piece (PBS Theme), it may be awhile before ai can post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Eeek - sorry to hear that. I also learned that lesson the hard way.
    I downloaded the Baroque Boogie and can host it (ot any other song) if you want.
    Gary
    Thanks, Gary.

Actually, my hosting service (1and1.com) is where all of my music files are posted for my domain (pwamusic.com)

Most of the stuff threre was done with varying (mediocre) hardware and software modules, and their service is solid.

My music development machine... that is a different matter. It will take me a few weeks to get back to some level of having a studio going again.

I might like to get permission to have GPO installed on two desktops!!

I know that the manual said that it can go on a 2nd machine if it's a laptop. Does the second machine have to be a laptop??
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Thanks, Gary.

Actually, my hosting service (1and1.com) is where all of my music files are posted for my domain (pwamusic.com)

Most of the stuff threre was done with varying (mediocre) hardware and software modules, and their service is solid.

My music development machine... that is a different matter. It will take me a few weeks to get back to some level of having a studio going again.

I might like to get permission to have GPO installed on two desktops!!

I know that the manual said that it can go on a 2nd machine if it's a laptop. Does the second machine have to be a laptop??
    You can have two installs on any computers. Does not have to be a laptop.

Well, Michael, that was a good post about lightening. I am quite experienced in electricity and electronics, but since electrical storms are rare here, I have not thought much about the problem since turning my back on communications stations. It was a good reminder for me, and my next trip to town I will purchase a tester for my outlets. Seems like I tested them about 10 years ago, but can't remember, so, safety first! It would be a good idea to post your message on the general discussion page, where it would be more likely to be seen by more people.

I will most likely disconnect my phone system at the jack where it first enters the house, cutting off all extensions in addition to the modem, at the first sign of an electrical storm! Also will unplug the power strip, but refrigerator, washer, dryer, and electric stove will have to tough it out on their own!

Actually, here, I am more likely to get bonked on the head by a falling tree than being struck by lightening. Or perhaps the danger of stray (I hope) gunfire is greater.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    You can have two installs on any computers. Does not have to be a laptop.
    Thanks, Gary
    That is really good to know!
    Bill Wright
    PWA Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast