• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Opus1 - Horizon Series Solo is this a good library?

Share/Bookmark

Opus1 - Horizon Series Solo is this a good library?

hi.
    i recently found a bunch of demos on the horizon series solo library and i'm quite impressed with them.

i own ewqlso gold (gpo which i havn't even installed yet) and a few other cheapies.

can anyone honestly tell me if this sound library is worth looking at?
    and does it come in vsti format for my cubase?

my style is classical orchestral/film music -- or atleast i'm trying to be

Re: Opus1 - Horizon Series Solo is this a good library?

Unless you got tons of money, I'd say save your money for something more of a complement to ewql gold, 'cause Opus is kind of the same thing as gold but a different way of working (no vsti).
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Hi mate,

From what i hear in the Horizon Solo demos i'm guessing the lib will require work to sound great (I say that because half the demos are great samples with shocking programming). You'll need to invest time into the attacks etc. What do want to achieve out of the library? Gold for Tutti & VSL for solo lines?

Maybe open gold before you buy a second library. The solo cello in EWQL is great, and the solo vln isn't too bad either as a starting point. They're pretty verbed, but if it's film/orchestral, this shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

are you talking Opus 1, or Horizon Solos?
    evaclear

My Stuff

Hi,

the VSL-libs are not coming as vst, you need EXS, Gigastudio, Halion or Kontakt.

Few more possibilities:

- There is a Garritan Stradivari coming up, possibly it will be a very good choice too (demo were awesome). But there is no release date or prize available.

- Or have you ever heard the demos from synful.com? Possibly a good choice too.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by mixolydian
    Hi,

the VSL-libs are not coming as vst, you need EXS, Gigastudio, Halion or Kontakt.

Regards
    Ah I see what you mean now. Opus 1 doesn't come with its own player, so therefore you have to use Kontakt or Halion. Is this a big deal? If you already have some EW instruments you can get Kontakt with 50% off until the end of this month.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Tomke
    Unless you got tons of money, I'd say save your money for something more of a complement to ewql gold, 'cause Opus is kind of the same thing as gold but a different way of working (no vsti).
    VSL and EW are totally different sounding products. EW is recorded in a "hall" so you get a natural reverb on the sound. VSL is recorded in a "silent stage" so the sounds are fairly dry. Of course you can add your own reverb to them to make them similar to EW sounds, but not really the other way round. EW instruments come with their own player, but with VSL you need to load them into something like Halion or Kontakt ( see my other post).

D

i'm talking about "solo" version

and i already have been using ewqlso gold for over a year now and i do think it's good.
    i'm still learning with it other users on the forum seem to know how to get a better (more real) sound from it than i do, but i guess that's just practise.

i just want more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FireRaven
    i'm talking about "solo" version

and i already have been using ewqlso gold for over a year now and i do think it's good.
    i'm still learning with it other users on the forum seem to know how to get a better (more real) sound from it than i do, but i guess that's just practise.

i just want more!!!
    Pulling off "performance realism" in VSL solos will be substancially harder than EWQL. VSL is presented in a fashion that requires more engineering (panning and ambience particularly), but for more flexible (and in cases, greater) results.

Of course this is all subjective to the desired sound. I love EWQL and chose Gold over Opus 1 some time back- but I would love some VSL to add to the collection too! It definately has a different sound (gorgeous actually). If you can't seem to get the results in Gold that others can get, you may not be pleasently surprised when you open your first VSL session. Between EW Gold and GPO, you should get something sounding half snazzy!
    evaclear

My Stuff

ok i'm going to give it a try it's only around $300... but first i've got to buy a much bigger harddrive!

just a quick question before i buy anything...
    it says:
    Giga, EXS24 mk II, Kontakt, HALion

does that mean it comes in a VSTi version (because kontakt and halion are vstis)? or is it just trying to recommend those two because they both read giga sample files.

Go Back to forum