• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual Grand Piano excellent....but a couple of problems

Share/Bookmark

Question Virtual Grand Piano excellent....but a couple of problems

Well I have been playing VGP for the past couple of weeks, and it is just as good as all the rave reviews I have been reading, here and elsewhere. For jazz ensemble work it is now my equal piano of choice. (together with Emperor)Once again, congratulations Hans :-)

However I have 2 frustrating problems that I have been trying in vain to fix, and hopefully someone here can help.......

(1) The Kontakt player only plays back on Midi channel 1. Under Setup/Routing, I have tried assigning the soundcard (HDSP9632) to different outputs....3/4, 5/6, 7/8 etc but it still only plays back on midi channel 1. Is it possible to play back on another channel?

(2) When I open VGP player, I cannot simultaneously play MP3's on Windows Media player.....or use any other recording program (Sonar/Adobe Audition) My sound card is RME HDSP9632. I also use GS3 and this problem does not occur there, so it must be something in the Kontakt player settings???

any help appreciated...I am stumped :-(

Mal

Re: Virtual Grand Piano excellent....but a couple of problems

Not sure because I don't have this yet, but if it is anything like other Kontakt player plug-ins you should be able to change the MIDI channel as follows: underneath the patch name you should see a little icon that looks like a midi cable connector (small circle with dots in it) - next to it will be either the word omni or a number. Click on this number and you'll get a pop-up dbx of channels 1-16.

Also, for using with Sonar - make sure you are using either the VST or dxi version opened from within Sonar. You can't use the stand-alone version with Sonar as they will both compete for possession of the soundcard.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the the reply loogoo :-) I now have the midi channels working properly :-)

Regarding my second problem, as soon as I open Kontakt player, Windows Media player stops working (along with all my audio programs)
    When GS3 is open I dont have the problem...only when I open Kontakt...

Anyone else having this problem?

It's a byproduct of the ASIO driver being used through Sonar and Kontakt. With the ASIO driver the program using the soundcard gets exclusive use of it, which means all other programs that want to use the soundcard have to wait until the program using it gives it up. The WDM driver may allow sharing, but the latency isn't as good as ASIO, so that's the tradeoff. As far as Sonar as concerned, if you turn off the sound engine (in Sonar 3 it's the button at the top next to the MIDI panic (!) button) it will release the soundcard so other programs can use it. But of course, if you were using Sonar to capture audio from other programs this won't be much help.

The driver under GS3 (the GSIF driver) follows it's own driver model and, as a consequence, allows other drivers/programs access to the sound card.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

I'm curious, what exactly are the circumstances that you are trying to use both the Kontakt player and Windows Media player simultaneously? If you are recording the piano in Sonar you would be using the VST version of the player which should not cause any conflict (theoretically). Just trying to get a clear picture of what exactly you're trying to do.

BTW, glad to hear you got the midi channel thing sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by loogoo
    I'm curious, what exactly are the circumstances that you are trying to use both the Kontakt player and Windows Media player simultaneously? If you are recording the piano in Sonar you would be using the VST version of the player which should not cause any conflict (theoretically). Just trying to get a clear picture of what exactly you're trying to do.

BTW, glad to hear you got the midi channel thing sorted out.

I have backing tracks recorded as MP3's which I play through Windows Media Player. I'd like to be able to play them while I use VGP.
    Even though I have Sonar, I use Adobe Audition for recording, and I'd love to be able to record my playing using VGP
    There must be a way around this??

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Rhino
    It's a byproduct of the ASIO driver being used through Sonar and Kontakt. With the ASIO driver the program using the soundcard gets exclusive use of it, which means all other programs that want to use the soundcard have to wait until the program using it gives it up. The WDM driver may allow sharing, but the latency isn't as good as ASIO, so that's the tradeoff. As far as Sonar as concerned, if you turn off the sound engine (in Sonar 3 it's the button at the top next to the MIDI panic (!) button) it will release the soundcard so other programs can use it. But of course, if you were using Sonar to capture audio from other programs this won't be much help.

The driver under GS3 (the GSIF driver) follows it's own driver model and, as a consequence, allows other drivers/programs access to the sound card.

thanks for that...appreciated :-)
    Regarding my previous post, in your opinion is there any way to play back MP3's while simultaneously playing VGP? And is there any way I could record my playing VGP in Adobe Audition or Sonar?
    If I cant use backing tracks, and cant record VGP, it would be a pity, as it is such a wonderful piano...

Mal

Actually, you can use Sonar for everything. What you do is import the MP3s into audio tracks in Sonar (select or create an audio track, and then click on File->Import->Audio). One audio track per MP3. Then create a VSTi with your VGP instance and assign it to a MIDI track with the usual inputs/outputs. I would assign the output of the Kontakt player and audio tracks to the Master bus rather than directly to the soundcard output. This way you can adjust volumes individually (to get the mix between the VGP and the imported MP3 files correct) as well as overall (so you don't break your eardrums). If you want to play along with the MP3s, just set Echo On for your MIDI track, and press play. The MP3 audio tracks will start playing and you can play along with the VGP instance. If you want to record your VGP playing, arm the MIDI track for recording and hit record. The audio tracks will play as before, but this time the VGP playing will be recorded as MIDI information. Once you have everything the way you want it, select the MIDI track and select Edit->Bounce To Clips. This will finalize any edits you made to the MIDI data. Then select File->Export->Audio to export the whole thing to a WAV file. When you do this, Sonar will recreate your VGP playing from the MIDI data, and mix it with the rest of the audio tracks. Then you could load the whole thing into Audition for post processing, editing tweaks, stuff like that.

I was in the same boat when I first started messing around with Sonar, but I realized this is the best way to get a proper mix. If you try and simultaneously play audio files with one program, play VGP in Sonar, and record everything in Audition, you will never get the timing in the mix correct, as each program will introduce latencies in accessing the soundcard.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Interesting....
    I am new to Sonar, so have a bit of a learning curve, but will work it out :-)

Thanks again for going to the trouble to explain this

best regards
    Mal

Go Back to forum