• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A plea for political abstinence on this forum

Share/Bookmark

A plea for political abstinence on this forum

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    My name is Sean Dockery. As a conservative musician who has risked his life in the 1st Gulf war while serving in the US Army, I am deeply disturbed and offended by certain forum members putting down other's political beliefs. I personally do not agree with much that the Democratic party does lately, but you will never hear me talk down to or insult people on this forum for their beliefs. This is a MUSIC FORUM! If people want to insult conservatives please take it to an appropriate forum where heated-political battles are welcome and expected. I realize that some of you get upset with what is going on in Iraq and I do not blame you. I too get upset when soldiers die in Iraq....just as I was upset when tens of thousands of Iraqis died by their own leaders hands well before the USA ever got there. Please respect the fact that not everyone on the forum disagrees with or hates the USA, George Bush, conservatives, or the war on terror.

We are all music lovers and that is what brings us together here on this fine forum. I ask all of you to please show some respect to me and others here.

God Bless,

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: A plea for political abstinence on this forum

Sean, I have lots of respect for the people in our armed forces, and I support and sympathize with them.

But I have NO respect for the Bush administration. They're killing people. And I'm furious at all the people in this country who are not well enough informed to know better than to support that - as well as a whole bunch of other things he's doing.

I'm sorry, but this is the off-topic area and you're under no obligation to read these threads. This is a great place to discuss politics.

Much as I'm glad to see Saddam gone, what we're doing has nothing to do with the tens of thousands of people he killed. Nothing. It has to do with power politics and uneducated, misguided fools who were ushered into power by the Supreme Court.

I'm sorry if you're offended by that, but I'm offended by what's going on. And frankly, there are people here who deserve to be insulted for espousing offensive political beliefs. Some things are a matter of opinion, but this isn't. What we're doing in the world is repugnant, and anyone who disagrees is simply wrong. Just because there are two sides doesn't mean they're both equally right.

And as I've said before, it's entirely appropriate to be furious at the Republican party. I'm not a great fan of the Democratic party either, for the most part, but they're a little better.

And of course we're all musicians. But that doesn't mean it's necessary to agree about politics.

My suggestion is that you stay away from the off-topic area if you don't like the discussion. Nobody is posting about what an ~~~ Bush is in the Sample Libs section.

I originally posted this to the Sample Library Forum due to some political pop-shots that were being thrown out there. I rarely ever read the off topic stuff because I don't like getting in never ending political arguments with people. I figure that a majority of America got what they wanted when they voted Republican, so why argue.

I guess the moderators are on top of things and moved the politics back into this forum

Take care and make excellent music,

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

The majority of the American public got a ~~~~ sandwich, actually - they voted 180 degrees against their best interests, and that's a great reason to argue about a lot of things. One of them is the way our campaigns are conducted, which makes a mockery out of democracy. All it takes is some Swift Boat Penisfaces with the money to buy lots of scandalously immoral TV ads to sway the public - regardless of the truth.

It's going to take generations to undo the damage that's being done.

If you're conservative and support the actions of the US military that's your choice. But don't expect to avoid criticism for it.

Fight for free speech. Not against it. Even if you find it uncomfortable.

BTW, I saw samething very disturbing today on Current. There was a film-maker in Miami filming protests against a free trade meeting. The film-maker supports free trade and was there not to protest, but to support and document.

There was a line of cops in riot gear, and a crowd. The crowd was not unruly. All of a sudden the cops marched and started shooting rubber bullets and bean bags into the crowd. A bag hit the film-maker in the temple as he was running from the advancing cops. He went down. Blood splattered the sidewalk, then the lens. Then the camera went black. He was repeatedly hit by rubber bullets while bleeding on the ground.

The bag lodged beneath his eyebrow. A bit lower and he would have lost his eye. A bit further back and he'd be dead. As it is, the left side of his face is paralyzed.

And this is America? Land of the free? Founded under a constitution that allows free speech and free association?

It is our duty as Americans not to be politically silenced.

-JF

No surprises there, Jon. The police in many places can do whatever the hell they want. Being in fear for their own safety is one thing, but I certainly don't see it that way in many cases. As a law abiding citizen, I have no use for them, nor will I ever have a use for them. In my town, they are worthless, and they break more laws than the criminals do......which makes them criminals.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    My name is Sean Dockery. As a conservative musician who has risked his life in the 1st Gulf war while serving in the US Army, I am deeply disturbed and offended by certain forum members putting down other's political beliefs.
    Hello Sean. You don't ever want to worry about all that. The political stuff is mostly good humoured here nowadays and like Nick says - collective political beliefs can be anywhere from beyond the circumference - to almost colliding in a majority agreement (very occasionally).

Standing up for and arguing against anyone whom you think may be undermining personal political beliefs makes an individual stronger and can also be great fun.

Say whatever you want - no one here will take it personally.

You also need to remember Sean - a lot of the guys here read English fairytales - so I would ask - nay, beg you - to make the necessary allowances and adjustments.

Some of them are almost musicians too! :0

I am deeply disturbed
    Well...then you'll fit in perfectly around here!!!
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I figure that a majority of America got what they wanted when they voted Republican, so why argue.
    The majority of Americans are idiots who will believe just about anything they're told, as are the majority of any population. In America, we have a particularly bad problem, because we also are home to scads of nitwit religions which further pound the "trust and obey" mentality into the intellectually challenged.

Then we have your "conservative" politicians pandering to these same idiots, declaring an (untruthful) affinity for their religious beliefs. And all the while, taking actions which are the polar opposite of so-called "Christlike" behavior.

So, boohoo. Don't get your dander up when someone very rightfully challenges your "conservative" heroes. Because if they would actually act conservatively, no one would have an issue. Since when is it a conservative action to trump up a bunch of lies and spend a gazillion dollars bombing the crap out of a bunch of poor people?

Republican politics have been anything BUT conservative. Screw rhetoric. Actions speak louder than words. And just yesterday, out of the White House pops the "reassessment" of what's possible in Iraq. Not so ironically, an almost word-for-word acknowledgement of what EVERY SINGLE OPPONENT of the war has been screaming at the top of his lungs since day one (and getting called unpatriotic for the effort).

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast