• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Noobie Question - Be Patient!

Share/Bookmark

Basic Noobie Question - Be Patient!

I was blown away listening to the demo arranagements! I started recording back in 1978 with a Tascam 4 track - quit in 1981 when I got married and in church. Picked up PC recording a few years ago with Cakewalk and a JV1080 for my "orchestra".

My interest is redoing the old great hymns with using simple acoustic guitars, my daughter on piano, son on flute and my JV1080 for the misc., etc.

Question - I now have Sonar Proucer 4 - can I just set my Roland JV1080 aside and use the Personal Orchestral for the occaional strings, oboes, etc. that I want to use to add "color" and life to the hymns?

Is it that easy? I don't sight read to well and not real good on keyboards - I just want to add realistic instruments to the hymns without having to spend much time programing and tweaking - unfortunately my time is limited and this is only a hobby for me.

The classical arrangements kind of overwhelmed me - I just want to throw in some nice instruments.

After reading the reviews it appears that the PO is what I can use?

Also, Do I have to worry about the latency issue? I never did with the Roland and that was nice.

Thanks for your patience and may God richly bless!
    Last edited by AVBunyan; 08-13-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Basic Noobie Question - Be Patient!

Hi, AVBunyan, and welcome to the greatest forum on the planet. Using GPO can be as complicated as you want to make it. If you want to play in some instrument tracks to enhance what you already have done, you will, I‘m sure, be very happy with the results. GPO blends well with acoustic instruments, other synths and sample programs. For most instruments you use the sustain pedal for the legatos and use the mod wheel for volume and timbre control. That‘s about it.

If you want to go further to make things a little more realistic, there are other controls you can use, but many very nice demos have been done just using what I mentioned above.

If you want to use the same midi tracks as you did with your JV1080, you may be in for a little disappointment. Since most instruments in GPO don‘t use cc7 for volume, you may have to convert the cc7 data to cc1 if your sequencer will let you do that, and you may have to do a little tweaking.

I‘m sure you will have fun and make great music with GPO. It is a very inspiring program to use.

If you decide to purchase GPO, this is the place to come for help and encouragement. Other than GPO being a wonderfully designed program with superb samples, the one thing that sets it far above all other libraries, is the support and friendship that I‘m sure you will gather from the great people on this forum.

Best of luck to you,

Karl

P. S.

I don‘t use a PC, but I believe that Markelford has written a little program that converts standard midi files to ones that GPO likes.

Is it that easy? I don't sight read to well and not real good on keyboards - I just want to add realistic instruments to the hymns without having to spend much time programing and tweaking - unfortunately my time is limited and this is only a hobby for me.

AVBunyan:

One thing you should check into before you launch GPO is your computer speed and RAM setup. If you have a Mac, you will need at least a 1 Ghz processor and minimum 1 GB of RAM. For PC, most folks have at least a 1.8 Ghz processor and 1-2 GB of RAM. If you meet either of these requirements, you should be happy playing GPO instruments.

When you used your JV-1080, you were doing MIDI. When you use GPO, you will be doing MIDI with sampled sounds and the result will be AUDIO. For a stereo audio file, count on 10 MB per minute per track of HD space. It's CPU intensive and you need as much RAM as you can get plus a HD that will accommodate your files.

Just an introduction to what you will be up against using GPO or any other sampled instruments with a computer.

My post is not designed to scare you, it's just some information you need to know beforehand. I started out with a Mac iBook (600 Ghz CPU and 512 RAM) and it was a useless tool for audio work.

Welcome to our GPO community and we hope to hear your hymn arrangements.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

AVBunyan, welcome to this forum of GPO users.

It is kinda like a big family here.
    Ask any questions, and someone will answer very quickly.
    Glad you are here, God bless you too!

dpDan

1. One thing you should check into before you launch GPO is your computer speed and RAM setup. For PC, most folks have at least a 1.8 Ghz processor and 1-2 GB of RAM. If you meet either of these requirements, you should be happy playing GPO instruments.

2. When you used your JV-1080, you were doing MIDI. When you use GPO, you will be doing MIDI with sampled sounds and the result will be AUDIO. For a stereo audio file, count on 10 MB per minute per track of HD space. It's CPU intensive and you need as much RAM as you can get plus a HD that will accommodate your files.

3. My post is not designed to scare you, it's just some information you need to know beforehand. I started out with a Mac iBook (600 Ghz CPU and 512 RAM) and it was a useless tool for audio work.

4. Welcome to our GPO community and we hope to hear your hymn arrangements.

Jack
    Thanks Jack!

1. I have a 2.8 Intel but only 512 Ram so I need some work here - I hope to go to 2 gb soon.

2. Interesting - new concept for me but it makes sense - I downloaded some Sonar files from PO to see how they were set up and it appears to make sense to me.

3. Very helpful and up front - thanks a bunch!!!

4. Thanks - Glad to be here - not able to buy PO yet but after studying the site and getting some feedback it appears that the PO is what I need to add the life I need to the hymns. I just want to re-create the old hymns tastefully using more real-sounding instruments. I hope to keep it simple as there were intended to be. Not wild about the modern arrangements by the mega churches these days of these great hymns. The message has been lost admidst the colossal arrangements.

As soon as I get the PO I have some ideas and hope to post them for you.

God bless

Thanks DPDAN - when I get the PO then I hope to "throw the anchor out" here and join in on the fun - looks like a nice place to chat and learn.

God bless

Quote Originally Posted by AVBunyan
    looks like a nice place to chat and learn.

God bless
    That it is!

I know what you mean about the versions of some hymns, where they are supposed to be reverent, well, hymns that I have always heard as reverent. Some of the new arrangements have a driving beat with synths and guitar licks, I love some of the real contemporary stuff like Joel Osteen's music, but I do agree about some of the tacky arrangements that some churches use today. Let's just hope that the folks there like it. I think God probably likes praise in any flavor. I know what you mean though.

dpDan

Go Back to forum