• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Guess what... I have a fever... and the only prescription is...

Share/Bookmark

Guess what... I have a fever... and the only prescription is...

Linux?!?

(I'll bet you thought I was going to say "more cowbell!" huh?)

Today a friend of mine showed me RoseGarden on the Linux platform. It looks like quite the package. I'm wondering if anyone here has had any experience with professional audio on the Linux platform?

I already researched and learned that I can run Kontakt and all my other VSTs in standalone mode in Linux, then the whole "Jack" audio engine in Linux is modular, so its all basically a huge, real-time ReWire environment. That sounds really badazz to me.

Anyway, RoseGarden includes professional audio and midi multitracking, notation, effects, etc, etc. So I thought it wouldn't hurt giving it a shot. I will still be using Overture and SAW Studio on Windows for final mixing and polishing of the audio mixdown and notation I think, but I'm just so tired of the spyware, adware, underware, viruses and everything else that seems to be an issue with my XP PC running like it's ten years older than it actually is.

I've considered "switching" to Tiger or Jaguar or Leopard or whatever it is on the Apple side, but I wanna see how the whole IBM thing goes before investing there. So, any professional composers out there in Linux? and if so... how is it?
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Guess what... I have a fever... and the only prescription is...

I'd be surprised.

...which is not to dis it, because I've never used it.

I think outside of the Mac OS10 world, most of the Linux users are techie types. Challenged by a dearth of Linux drivers for the bulk of the audio hardware out there. But here's a link to a bunch looking to change all that: http://www.ladspa.org/ ... they act as a clearing house for Linux audio applications and drivers. If one of these bright kids figured out a way to port or wrap OS10 drivers, that might turn the tables. Maybe even cure Ferrell's fever.

Howard

I don't need no doctor.

- Humble Pie

haha, didn't see that coming. . .was hoping for cowbell :-D . I guess you mean the change over to Intel from IBM . I for one, ain't concerned about it ( lucky I'm not the dev worried about it hehe ) cause I feel it's a good move. Intel are a better fit the IBM could ever be. Also the nice thing is all these nice linux apps are getting ported to OSX thanks to its UNIX foundation . I know ardour is already well on the way to working great on OSX . Ardour for those who haven't seen it is a DAW that looks the spiting image of protools. Alot of potential me thinks.

My 2 Cent,
    Johnny - FXpansion Audio
    www.fxpansion.com

yay , rosegarden for OSX aka X11. . . have to play with that.
    Johnny - FXpansion Audio
    www.fxpansion.com

Well, I am currently using a RME DIGI96/8 PAD on this system which does have linux support on the RME site, so I should be good there.

As linux and RoseGarden are open-source and profit from donations I'm going to do the install tonight and take the weekend to learn it - if I stay with it I will donate and share my experiences here. If I don't continue with it, I'll also post my experiences here for others.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Linux rules for server stuff...like....

Streaming sample servers! whoohoo!

www.linuxsampler.org

Check it out hot hot hot~~~
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Quote Originally Posted by howardv
    Maybe even cure Ferrell's fever.

Howard
    It was actually Walken's fever.. Ferrell had the cure.

Go Back to forum