• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Rising Expectations"

Share/Bookmark

"Rising Expectations"

This particular piece reflects my jazz background. A long, long time ago, I used to be a "lounge lizard" for a cruise ship gig. Our trio used to back up a featured musician from Greece who used to play the Bouzouki instrument. We had fun with his music; it was very, very cool. . . especially the 7/8 metered dance numbers. Well, this particular piece, titled "Rising Expectations", was written in 7/8 time. Although there is no Bouzouki in this number, the 7/8 "groove" is there. Composed this past winter, this is my second piece using the GPO. The sequencer used is Steinberg's Cubase SX 3. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much quantization. You'll notice it more in the piano part (I sure do). Someday, I plan on re-sequencing this piece using the quintize function much more sparingly! Until then, this is what I have. I hope you all enjoy. . . .

Rising Expectations

Respectfully submitted,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "Rising Expectations"

Hi Ted

This is so cool! Great music.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Nice tune, Theodore! I like it. It takes a lot of compositional skill to write something like this. For old 4/4 and 3/4 fuddy-duddies like me, the 7/8 meter ties my mind in knots, but in a fun way.

Best regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Cool!

I hear influences of Brubeck and Claude Bolling.

Your writing has a very open clarity to it.

I agree that the quantization makes some of the parts a little stiff, but you can very easily fix that.

You probably already know this:
    Either use no quantization ( my personal choice), or try lower percentages.
    Start with 50%. If that's too much try 25%, etc, until you find the one that fits.
    You could also try sliding some of the parts in time so that the attacks are not all at the same instant.

The 7/8 meter sounds very natural and uncontrived.

Very nice work.

-rob

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    This particular piece reflects my jazz background. A long, long time ago, I used to be a "lounge lizard" for a cruise ship gig. Our trio used to back up a featured musician from Greece who used to play the Bouzouki instrument. We had fun with his music; it was very, very cool. . . especially the 7/8 metered dance numbers. Well, this particular piece, titled "Rising Expectations", was written in 7/8 time. Although there is no Bouzouki in this number, the 7/8 "groove" is there. Composed this past winter, this is my second piece using the GPO. The sequencer used is Steinberg's Cubase SX 3. Unfortunately, I used a bit too much quantization. You'll notice it more in the piano part (I sure do). Someday, I plan on re-sequencing this piece using the quintize function much more sparingly! Until then, this is what I have. I hope you all enjoy. . . .

Rising Expectations

Respectfully submitted,

Ted
    Ted,

Boy, I wish all lounge lizards sounded this good! I agree with the others that the 7/8 sounds very natural, very smooth. It's handled with great confidence ( no sense of "ok, I 've got to make sure the 3+4 is really, really clear... ). Good job!

R. Pearl

Nice piece Ted,its very nimble and light on its feet,but has some beautiful lush harmonies.Nice to hear some jazzy music that doesn't fit neatly into a pigeonhole.
    I look forward to hearing more of your work.
    regards

Thank you all for the listen. Your comments are sincerely appreciated.

LouisD - Thank you very much for your kind words.

Larry - Especially after listening to your works, I must say that I don't consider you an "old fuddy-duddy". In my eyes you're a gifted composer. Gosh, I wish I had just a little bit of your knowledge and expertise in composition. . . especially in the styles/genres that you tend to write.

Rob - I soooo wish that I didn't use the quantize function as much as I did for this piece. At the time I sequenced this piece, I was experiencing sync problems between the metronome sound and the tracks. I am not sure why this problem exists. In reading threads on the Steinberg site (cubase.net web site), people with similar set ups as mine were experiencing similar problems. I guess there may be some kind of bug between the SX program and the MOTU 828 MKII audio device that I use. My computer is optimized for audio as best can be. Still, there exist this most unhappy sync problem. So in an attempt to correct the tracks, I quantized the holy poop out of the piece. Interesting, I don't have this problem when I sequencing using my old (and aging) hard synths. At some point, when I have extra time (which is rare these days), I do plan on re-sequencing this piece. I also plan on further exploring why the heck this sync problem exists. . . especially when I use these softsynths.

rpearl - LOL! I chuckled at your comment about "Lounge Lizards". LOL! I hold that period of my life dear to me. I met a lot of very, very talented "Lounge Lizards". I especially liked the few that played the stereo-typical lounge lizard image to the tilt. . . funky looking tuxedos, tacky one-liners and all!!! LOL!!

joaz - Gosh, I've visted your web site before. Heard your music. GREAT STUFF!! Thank you for your kind comment.

Again, thank you all for your very encouraging comments. This particular piece was another one of those "pencil to blank manuscript paper" deals. In other words, every note was written down. It's been a while since I wrote this piece. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to write another. I started working on one about a month ago. It's another "pencil to paper" piece. It's off to a great start. . . but it's also just sitting there. Life has been wonderfully busy. Unfortunately. . . AGAIN. . . my time for composing has taken a temporary "back seat". But there is light at the end of the tunnel! My wife and I are moving into a brand new house with absolutely gorgeous views of near-by mountains. I already picked out my music/studio room. And I am eagerly looking forward to the time when I put "pencil to paper". . . and exercise those compositional muscles. . . while looking at a view that can only be described as inspirational!!

Happy composing, folks!

Respectfully. . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted-

From what you've just stated, it sounds like your issue has to do with latency when using software synths.

If your system is already optimzed as much as possible, here's something that might help.
    Most sequencers have a way to compensate for minor latency differences between the audio and the MIDI.

In Cubase , look for a setting in your Audio Setup that's called "MIDI to Audio Time Offset".
    Check your manual, but I think that you can get the audio and MIDI to sync up by setting the correct amount of offset here.

-rob

Ted:

Great piece with good ideas. What I liked about it was that it kept my attention and moves freely. A lot of people would like to be able to compose in this idiom so consider yourself fortunate (and talented). We would like to hear more of your jazz efforts and especially when JABB is out. Man, I know your are gonna love to work with that.......

Thanks for sharing your music.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Ted, very cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

dpDan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast