• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga FXT / CPU usage?

Share/Bookmark

Giga FXT / CPU usage?

Anybody connecting multiple giga machines with a gigateleport setup? I've heard it's possible to get near-realtime latency with it, but your cpu meter hovers around 35%. Has anybody run full-blown orchestral compositions on multiple giga machines while having a crapload of vsti's running in the DAW simultaneously?

This is important to me. If I can't run vsti's because my DAW is already taking a beating... well, I guess that'd mean I'd have to buy a machine solely for vsti's eh?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Giga FXT / CPU usage?

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    Anybody connecting multiple giga machines with a gigateleport setup? I've heard it's possible to get near-realtime latency with it, but your cpu meter hovers around 35%. Has anybody run full-blown orchestral compositions on multiple giga machines while having a crapload of vsti's running in the DAW simultaneously?

This is important to me. If I can't run vsti's because my DAW is already taking a beating... well, I guess that'd mean I'd have to buy a machine solely for vsti's eh?

Thanks in advance.
    GT has virtually no effect on the CPU usage of my DAW and I run 3 machines networked to it. I find that the latency is slightly higher than with my previous setup and there are occasional pops and clicks. However, if I increase the latency, these go away; I just like to run at a latency that I can live with.
    However, be aware that GigaPulse is unusable for some people using the network. I can use one instance, but after that I get electronic spikes form time to time, both while working and also on rendering to audio.

D

Re: Giga FXT / CPU usage?

I run a couple of machines with gigateleport, lots of vsti's on the main computer, and none of my machines run with cpu meters like that. The giga machines are older p4 2.0 Ghz, and even they don't take issue with it while running gigapulse (tho I only run one instance on each machine, 3 total.) I have never seen this issue, but I've heard others mention it every now and again. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I have not seen it.

My latency is average, good enough that there isn't anything I can't play in real time, and it really isn't that noticeable. It can be a little quirky to set up the first time, and it usually takes several reboots of all involved computers for me to get it going after a new install. I used to panic the first two times I had to do that, cuz once it works, it works great ever after it seems, but all the failures when first setting it up were scary (ie. you finally load everything up and it looks like all is talking to eachother, then you pick an intrument and hit a note... and nothing happens.) After some reboots it smooths out, and all runs well. That seems to be the secret for me, just keep rebooting, reload all templates - this can take a while- and load your sequencer, see if it works, and if not, do it again until it does.

I set it up again for the third time recently, but knowing not to worry made it a much more pleasant experience. I dunno why it takes reboots, but once it works, it works great. G'luck man.

Go Back to forum