• Register
  • Help

Topic: NEED SOME LOGIC HELP

Share/Bookmark

NEED SOME LOGIC HELP

I'm in a situation where I need to make Logic lock up with some songs recorded in Pro Tools. The biggest problem is Pro Tools doesn't have a map in it, they did everything with live players and the drummer generated the click. I have his click, so is there a way to make Logic follow his click and create a new tempo map?

This is important because what the client is hiring me for is to do all my arpeggios and loopy things, to the tracks that were already recorded..... Surely this can be done, but I have no idea how to do it.

Logic has a Tap Tempo but I've never been able to get it to work right. Anyone else use this??

Any help would be great, or even just references to where else I may look. Thanks

J

Re: NEED SOME LOGIC HELP

Logic can create a tempo map using a click track or percussive track with strong enough transients. Having said that, I haven't done it so I'd say go to Sonikmatter forums where I'm sure you'll find a detailed step by step guide on how to do it.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Hi J,

I do this sort of thing a lot, but the answer I'm giving you is probably far from the politically correct one.

If the drummer supplied his own click, then chances are it's a consistent one. Have the pro tools guy give you consolidated tracks from the PT session, so that all the tracks start from the same point.

Import the tracks into your Logic autoload, and then using Logic 7's new BPM counter plug-in on the PT click track, get the BPM's, and set this BPM value in Logic.

Now, the unscientific part...

Make sure you have ALL THE TRACKS selected, and visually line up the click track with Logic's grid. I'll often turn on Logic's click as well, and play Logic's click with the audio click from PT, and using the various nudge commands, get them as close as possible. I'll even zoom in very close to confirm that the peaks of the click are right where they need to be. If you really want to get nerdy about it, sample the PT click sound, import it into an EXS instance, and use it as Logic's click. Then, when you think you have the two clicks playing in sync, put a gainer plug-in on one, and flip the phase. If you can't get them to completely cancel out, at least get it to a point where the tone gets very, very thin. This confirms they're just about phase accurate, which means your sequenced stuff will sound really tight.

9 times out of ten, you can get this fairly easily. There is always a chance that the drummers click source is from an older drum machine, and it could be a bit whacked, but honestly, I've only experienced that maybe once, from doing this 100's of times... and that number isn't exaggerated (man, I need to get a life!)

Anyhow, listen through, and make sure everything's cool. Do your arrpegiated stuff, and then give the Pro Tools guy audio tracks of your arrpegiated stuff, as well as YOUR COPY of the original click track. Make sure these tracks are all the same length as well. This way, he can visually line the two click tracks together, and the audio tracks of your keyboard parts will lock right in.

There may be an easier way through locking with SMPTE, but I never have the luxury of having my set-up in the same room as the studio that has PT. I do all this type of stuff back at my place. This has worked every single time, as long as you're diligent about lining up the clicks correctly, and you have a cool PT engineer. The only ones who make a fuss about this sort of thing are the ones that don't have a clue what they're doing. I haven't run into very many like that, thankfully.

Thanks Jaimo. Good stuff. Shouldn't have a problem with the drum tracks, I'm sure you know the guy who's playing and have probably even worked with his tracks. I have all the PT sessions so i can merge the files down no problem. The biggest hang up will be with the tempo changes, but Hopefully I can figure this out. It's a shame Logic can't take a click track and accurately create a tempo map to it..... oh well.

Any chance you're on the west side of town?

J-

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley
    Thanks Jaimo. Good stuff. Shouldn't have a problem with the drum tracks, I'm sure you know the guy who's playing and have probably even worked with his tracks. I have all the PT sessions so i can merge the files down no problem. The biggest hang up will be with the tempo changes, but Hopefully I can figure this out. It's a shame Logic can't take a click track and accurately create a tempo map to it..... oh well.

Any chance you're on the west side of town?

J-
    I didn't realize that there were tempo changes. In that case, read up on re-clocking. I believe Logic 7 calls this "beat mapping". I'm afraid I have no real experience with this feature, but I have read that it does work very well.

Basically, you create a tempo map from and existing performance, in this case, the original click track. From what I understand, it takes a little bit of trial and error to get it right, but the end result will be a tempo map that follows the original performance.

I'm in Franklin... sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    but I have read that it does work very well.

No, sadly it does not. It is very time consuming and involves too much trial and error. I really envy the way PT's Beat Detective works and I am told that DP has something similar.

This is an aspect of Logic that could stand improvement.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum