• Register
  • Help

Topic: Korg Triton Studio vs. Roland Fantom-X8

Share/Bookmark

Korg Triton Studio vs. Roland Fantom-X8

Korg Triton Studio vs. Roland Fantom-X8

Im having trouble deciding which offers more... In my opinion the Fantom seems to have better and more realistic sounds and samples but then again i have no experience in Keyboard workstations but Im facinated by them and will want to buy one in the future.

Also, a question on the side. Will the Triton Rack Module work with a Roland keyboard and vice verca - will a Roland Rack module work the a triton keyboard??? You can use anything with a midi signal to control the rack correct?

Re: Korg Triton Studio vs. Roland Fantom-X8

Have you looked at the Yamaha Motif ES8? To me it has the best sound and feel vs Korg and Roland, and its arpeggiator is far more advanced then the others. Where it lacks is in its GUI and learning curve, but once you learn your way around it its very powerful.

Another thing to think about is that the Roland and Korg workstations don't have real mod wheels, they have that horrible little joystick where you move it left and right for pitch bend and push it up a little for modulation, so if you're going to use it to control software samples that use the mod wheel (a lot of libraries do) then you're going to have to have an external controller. I never investigated it far enough to find out if you can assign mod to one of the sliders on the Roland or Korg.. but if that's the case then why not just put the wheel there?

I prefer the synth sounds from Roland but the keyboard of the Motif ES8 is more quiet than the Fantom-X8.

I'm a hardcore Korg diehard. I just love my Triton Studio to death. Every day I learn something new about it that just blows me away. If I had the money I'd get a Korg Oasys but for now, having just spent $4k on a new DAW, I'll have to stick with the Triton Studio.

Mixednuts (aka Rob)

I just demoed them all this evening and the Fantom definitely came out on top. Wasn't even close. What's even more telling is that I went in with a definitey Korg bias (memories of demoing Trinity years ago) and I actually own a Yamaha S80. The Roland really took me by surprise, but it sounds absolutely incredible! The interface and patch organization are also by far the most straightforward on the Roland.

musical mathew pretty mutch confirmed what i was thinking...

about the mod wheel thing cant that be fixed with a pedal or something?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalMayhem
    musical mathew pretty mutch confirmed what i was thinking...

about the mod wheel thing cant that be fixed with a pedal or something?
    If a pedal is close enough to a mod wheel for you sure. The biggest complaint I have about the joystick is if I remember correctly it only bends up. It works find for mod wheel, but for bend I think you're limited. It would also be nice to have standard wheel controls and a ribbon like the Triton, but you could always buy an additional controller to use with it as well...

Isn't it a combo modwheel/pitchbend? That's what it's like on the V-Synth and all the Edirol keyboards, so I'd imagine the Fantom is the same way. You move it up to increase the modwheel value, and it moves left and right for pitchbend.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Quote Originally Posted by zircon_st
    Isn't it a combo modwheel/pitchbend? That's what it's like on the V-Synth and all the Edirol keyboards, so I'd imagine the Fantom is the same way. You move it up to increase the modwheel value, and it moves left and right for pitchbend.
    Oh ok, that's what it is. I haven't didn't remember that. For some reason I thought it was left right for mod and up for pitch, but it makes more sense now...

I bought one of these puppies 1 1/2 months ago. *Very* nice. It's not an Oasys, but neither was the price.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my investment. What I love most about the Fantom is the tweakability and the accessability of just about everything, without having to squint at a tiny screen like the Motif. I honestly think that the Motif has the best out-of-the box sounds, particularly accoustic. However, I've been able to tweak everything to my satisfaction. I don't miss the touch-screen of the Triton series as much as I thought I would: The UI is clean in its layout. So is my screen, now that I don't have to have my fingers on it.

Go Back to forum