• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Best Guitar Sample Library/VSTi?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Best Guitar Sample Library/VSTi?

Hi all,

I am looking to incorporate realistic guitar into my

compositions.

I am planning to get Virtual Guitarist Electric Edition for

Electric Rythm Guitaring. And, samples for others. Is this

a right decision? Should I be getting Virtual Guitarist EE

along with a sample or just sample would be enough? (I have

GigaStudio 3 and Nuendo 3)

Now, what are my options? I need a good guitar sample (both

electric and acoustic) which will be good for both chords

(as huge a variety as possible) as well as for nice kicking

leads.

I had researched the net for the past 2 days, and found

these. I guess many others (better, even) might still be

around, but I could not find them. Also, most didn't have

sufficient comparison reviews to help me out.

They are:
    Acoustic Essentials Premium Vol. 1 & 2
    SonicImplants Amps & Pickups 1 & 2
    EastWest QL Guitar and Bass Giga
    Jacaranda Guitars: Volume 1
    LPC (only electric, but)

Any inputs on how to go on would be greatly helpful.

Please note that this will be my first venture into

sampling. I bought GigaStudio Orchestra a week back. So

far, I am just using Nuendo and the recordings.

Thanks all in advance.

Re: Best Guitar Sample Library/VSTi?

Lyrical Distortion will suit your needs nicely with the guitar sound of todays rock. Lyrical Distortion is available for GS3 and Kontakt

Arrow Re: Best Guitar Sample Library/VSTi?

Thanks for the replies so far.

What I found from the searches is that,

Hans Zimmer Guitars vol. 1 and vol. 2 - both are fully acoustic (only) guitar samples.
    Lyrical Distortion and LPC, both fully electric (only) guitar samples. The former is a smaller and moderately priced while the latter seems to have a better feature set but high price range. But, is LPC worth that much, as in is the quality that much more?

Am I right in the previous passage? So, does it mean I have to get hans zimmer + ld/lpc?

Also, what about guitar bass? Instead of getting seperate guitar bass samples, can I get Steiberg's VIRTUAL BASSIST? I haven't found any reviews for the product so I am not sure if it will play individual notes or only chords as in Virtual Guitarist. Anybody?

Thanks.

P.S.: And, what about the libraries that I had mentioned? They aren't that high level? [Acoustic Essentials Premium Vol. 1 & 2 -or-
    SonicImplants Amps & Pickups 1 & (2 if needed) -or-
    EastWest QuantumLeap Guitar and Bass Giga -or-
    Jacaranda Guitars: Volume 1]
    Last edited by stanley; 08-11-2005 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo

I use a lot of acoustic samples, pure guitars for playing lead lines is great, I use the nylong guitar with vibrato on a lot of things and love it, I havent really listened to the steel strings as much but they are good, they also have some good chords as does nashville hi strung guitars but I play acoustic so I dont really use the strums which is another reason I havent listened to the steel string sounds near as much. Go and listened to the demos and you will see what a mean. I havent heard about a lot of people using it but I love Pure Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    I use a lot of acoustic samples, pure guitars for playing lead lines is great, I use the nylong guitar with vibrato on a lot of things and love it, I havent really listened to the steel strings as much but they are good, they also have some good chords as does nashville hi strung guitars but I play acoustic so I dont really use the strums which is another reason I havent listened to the steel string sounds near as much. Go and listened to the demos and you will see what a mean. I havent heard about a lot of people using it but I love Pure Guitar
    I am sorry, I think I am missing something. Pardon my ignorance, but is PURE GUITAR a sample library? Or, what all libraries you use?

Pure Guitars is a sample library from Yellow Tools, I believe

pure guitar is a library by yellow tools and I cant believe you dont hear more about it, Paul white gave it a great review in sound on sound, here is a link with a demo, listen to is and you will we what I mean http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=BS-315

For acoustic guitar right now I'm using Real Guitar. Its a VSTi that's based on samples. It has steel and nylon both in finger and picked styles and has a very nice tone. It sounds great when playing lead, but what really sets it apart is what it can do with rhythm and strumming. Its the best tool I've ever seen or used for acoustic guitar strumming. Most of the other libraries you mentioned have chord patches, with up and down strums, but you're locked into whatever chords and positions that they recorded. Real Guitar also has a 'Chords' setting, which reads whatever chord your playing and translates it into an acceptable guitar phrasing, with different positions on the neck depending on where you played the chord on the keyboard.. but its real power is in using it in Single Note mode. On its keyboard map there is an active range of notes that sound, from low E to high C (I believe). Just below and above those notes are 'repeat' keys. I usually use the ones below, which are the C and D just below the low E (C1 and D1 I believe). Whatever the last note you played in the active range, playing C repeats the note with a downpick and D repeats the note with an uppick. So for single notes you can play fast up/down trills. But you can also hold down a chord and then use the repeat keys to strum the chord up and down, and its velocity sensitive, so the harder you play the faster the chord gets strummed. The beauty is that you can now strum whatever chord phrasings you want to up and down the guitar neck. When used right is very very realistic.

For electric guitar I recently got the Prominy LPC Clean Only and am blown away by its scope.. its really amazing! The library is a full 30 gigs and has tons of different guitar techniques that you can use to make super realistic tracks. If you haven't listed to the demos on the Prominy website yet you really should check out the 'Star Spangled Banner' demo: http://www.prominy.com/demo/LPC/SSB_LPC.mp3 . In addition to lots of playing techniques is the real time legato slide feature, which you have to play to believe. There are single note and chord patches that use this feature and it just pushes the tracks that much closer to realism.. plus its TONS of fun to play in real time with the legato slide!!

For less $$ the Bela D Lyrical Distortion library has great sounding demos.. the reason I didn't pick it up is because I'm only interested in clean guitar samples which I can apply my processing to, I don't want to be locked into a sound (hint hint.. and I know about the clean guitar in Studio B, but I don't want a stripped down version ). But as an owner of other Bela D libraries (Diva collection) I can attest to the high quality of their work.

Michael

Go Back to forum