• Register
  • Help

Topic: Poll: GS3.1 ready for primetime?

Share/Bookmark

Poll: GS3.1 ready for primetime?

Hi,

I've been following the forum for some time and certainly have seen lots of 3.1 issues, but wanted to know what, in general, people have found bugs with that you're pretty sure are 3.1 bugs, or which of you have had NO 3.1 problems.

For me I backed up to 3.04 because of a series of serious problems that I'm not sure if they're 3.1 or something in my system, except that now that I'm back on 3.04 they seem to have gone away. These include bluescreens at somewhat random times, and a system problem wherein when I warm booted I got an overclocking error. Also gigapulse generally seemed buggy: loading instances sometimes made the computer very sluggish.

What else have you all found? 3.1 just a buggy release (more so than normal ;-)?

-Alison

Re: Poll: GS3.1 ready for primetime?

3.1 has been great for me. Everything has been solid. I might be able to find some nit-picky things, but I haven't had any blue screens, sluggish behavior or loud, unexpected noises.

-JF

There's too many people having issues with 3.1 that didn't have them prior for there to be nothing to it is my guess. I'm hoping Tascam comes out with an update soon. Just the disappearing performance trick alone is enough of a bug to fix.

Dave Connor

Agreed. I'm going back to 3.04 until the 'hit save, crash computer' bug gets worked out...

That's the one. When you try to open what you where saving is it blank?

Also, if you consider John Fairhurst's post above he may have his system tweaked to perfection (which I thought mine was) and so things are okay if the computer is totally happy. This and other bugs are being reported everywhere however which makes you think the program has stability problems in some general way, so it should be addressed by Tascam.

Dave Connor

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    Also, if you consider John Fairhurst's post above he may have his system tweaked to perfection (which I thought mine was) and so things are okay if the computer is totally happy.
    It's also possible that I haven't been pushing it all that hard lately. I've been doing pop/rock backing tracks the last few weeks. If I was doing Wagner these days, my post might have been different.

The short film score I did recently was the last heavy project I did, and I updated to 3.10 right after I had finished it.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by dpc
    That's the one. When you try to open what you where saving is it blank?
    Following a BSOD - yes, the next time you try to load the .gsp file there is no data. Very frustrating when you've spent a long time setting up a complex template with multiple samples and complex routing.

I have my PIV PC optimized to the max - no antivirus or spyware software, no MS Outlook, stripped of unnecessary processes, etc. Until now I could run a fully-loaded template w/gigapulse in GS alongside Sonar 4 with no issues and complete stability - have saved many many .gsp files with no problems.

Since updating to 3.10 I've not only had the 'save' bug, but have also had random BSOD's with the 'page locked' error. I'll revert back to 3.04 and see if I gain any stability, and report back here...

Good point Jon. My pallettes are fully loaded with VSL and a few other things. I haven't been using GPulse because I'm exporting stems to a studio for mixing and mastering. So things are buggy perhaps when the system or ram or whatever get pushed.

Existence, you are describing identical symptoms so the handwriting is on the wall. Very distressing to lose a carefully built large pallette. I just saved one with 12 versions so I would only be one instrument change away from my last good save. Not a good situation or solution so I hope Tascam comes up with a better one.

Dave Connor

Just like to add that this 'crash/blank performance' bug is a huge problem, I know several users who have the issue on 3.10, feeling like you are one tweak away from disaster. I also followed every tweak page I could get my hands on to try to optimize GS and XP.

So in answer to the poll question, until this is fixed, no not ready for prime time. Shame really. Aside from 3.04 there isn't a decent alternative is there? Kontakt?

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Existence
    Since updating to 3.10 I've not only had the 'save' bug, but have also had random BSOD's with the 'page locked' error. I'll revert back to 3.04 and see if I gain any stability, and report back here...
    Actually I just got one of those with 3.04... on shut down so I didn't mind particularly although it makes me nervous... I was getting them with 3.10 sometimes mid-process.

Go Back to forum