• Register
  • Help

Topic: PC newbie Q:no VST Instruments with GS3?

Share/Bookmark

PC newbie Q:no VST Instruments with GS3?

I suspect that the GSIF driver does not support VST Instrument hosting - is that correct?

And does that mean there is no way to run VST instruments on my PC/Gigastudio setup?

I tried a few searches but would appreciate a quick & simple answer/suggestions - thanks!!

Nigel

Re: PC newbie Q:no VST Instruments with GS3?

Correct. No VSTi's in Giga. Load them up in your sequencer.

Belbin

Thanks. Problem is, my sequencer is on the Mac (Logic), linked via MIDI to the GIGA-PC.

So I guess what I need is a "free" sequencer which I can run on the PC as a VST host; but it would have to work with the GSIF driver....

....is this possible/ is anyone doing something like that, and can suggest a workable setup?

thanks again

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    Thanks. Problem is, my sequencer is on the Mac (Logic), linked via MIDI to the GIGA-PC.

So I guess what I need is a "free" sequencer which I can run on the PC as a VST host; but it would have to work with the GSIF driver....

....is this possible/ is anyone doing something like that, and can suggest a workable setup?

thanks again

Nigel
    Hi Nigel,
    I,ve got the same config as you: Logic Pro as sequencer on the Mac,via MOL to Giga Pc.

I also run Samplitude V8 for VSTi hosting.I,m relatively new to Samplitude V8, but its working well, and will run on my PC (2.4ghz processor, 2 gigs of Ram, System drive, Seperate 7,200 audio drive (for Samplitude and Giga Recordings, and 2 Raid 0 drives for my samples).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W

thanks again

Nigel
    You can run with ASIO and GSIF driver at the same time! You can use GSIF for Gigastudio and the ASIO driver for your sequencer. Another option is to run Gigastudio via Rewire with your Sequencer, in that way you don't need a GSIF compatible soundcard. In your case there are various ways.

If you don't want to run a sequencer you can run a program like VStack or Cakewalk Project, both of which act like VSTi 'synth racks'. Not sure if there are any free ones though..

just got back to the replies...thanks all...think I'll check out V-Stack

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    If you don't want to run a sequencer you can run a program like VStack or Cakewalk Project, both of which act like VSTi 'synth racks'. Not sure if there are any free ones though..
    As far as PC freebies go, Hermann Seib's VST host works really well.

www.hermannseib.com/english/default.htm

Ernie

Hi Nigel,
    I have a very similar setup as yours, a Mac G5 with Digital Performer 4.6 (DAW) feeding midi to the PC with Gigastudio.
    The PC also has V-STack which is a VST host.
    I use V-STack to load up a gob of GPO instruments including Spectrasonic's Trilogy all at the same time, even EWQLSO Silver which I rarely use though.

The sounds from the PC are lightpiped out of the RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652 internal soundcard, and into a MOTU Traveler which is the MOTU audio interface connected to the Mac via firewire.

I hope that helps you decide, V-STack just works great!
    About $60.00

dpDan

A lot of people I know have jumped from VStack to Forte Brainspawn which has the advantage of being able to follow midi clock and is easier on the eyes and brain than Ableton Live. http://www.brainspawn.com/ Stienberg kinda stopped supporting VSTack as far as upgrades and bug fixes a while back, but if you don't need tempo changes (which would affect delays, etc) VSTack is an excellent, dependable choice. Cheers, jc

Go Back to forum