• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - LEONARD BERNSTEIN music.

Share/Bookmark

Cool OT - LEONARD BERNSTEIN music.

Da da da - da da dada-da - da da da DA! MAMBO!
    Waking up to West Side Story was way to cool man, coo!
    Imagine rendering West Side Story with GPOA and JABB! The rhythm textures alone would be quite a challenge yet alone the orchestration.
    So, what's the point of this post? I dunno, just thought I would Cher if Sonny doesn't mind. (there's always something there )

MAMBO!
    Styxx

Re: OT - LEONARD BERNSTEIN music.

Wow! My FAVORITE American Composer for MORE than just his music - he was just a cool guy.

For my FIRST work in MIDI back in '96 or '97, I sequenced and rendered sections of Divertimento (1981). I got through about ½ of the last section, Boston Symphony Orchestra Forever! , and simply gave up (that, plus a nastygram from publisher Boosey-Hawkes).

The score 'twas kicking my bootie, but I still love it!!

Stevemitchell

Best Musical ever IMO.How about that Jazzy fugue?
    Regards

You should try playing percussion in this musical! I think Bernstein either loved percussionist or hated them. Regardless, COUNT!
    Styxx

Love, love, love the score to WSS! I have a pretty cool CD of Joshua Bell playing music from that.

I'll be performing "Something's Coming", "America" & "Tonight" (playing bass guitar) this Thurs-Sat. with our local performing group if anyone wants to come hear it.
    We're doing those and about 35 other Broadway songs/meledies.

I still do no like "Trouble in Tahiti" but find Candide one of my all time favorites...

Woah . . . that's creepy . . . just last night I had a dream that I was going to see West Side Story (and of course I woke up before I got there). Creepy things happen in the night . . .

Oh, and the night before that I dreamt that I was studying the score to Beethoven's 9th! That was a weird one . . .

Ooooh, I LOVE the Candide overture . . . that beautiful melody . . . had it stuck in my head for months.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    You should try playing percussion in this musical! I think Bernstein either loved percussionist or hated them. Regardless, COUNT!
    I've never had the pleasure of playing in a pit for "West Side Story", but I did play bass for a production of "Wonderful Town", and I can tell you he felt the same way about bass<G>!

Bernstein is one of my all time favorite composers, the other two being Aaron Copeland and Samuel Barber (he wrote the alma mater for my highschool!)

I have several scores from all three composers, but I've never tried to render them... perhaps it is time! - I did do an electronic "realization" of a section of Barber's "Medea", suffice it to say it wasn't what I was going for

Bill

Tom - I see your point, however I don't think such issues matter much to folk here.

In fact, take a read of this. It's interesting and informative.

http://www.andante.com/article/article.cfm?id=25752

Stevemitchell

Go Back to forum