• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Update on my short I told you all about...and an invite to L.A. screening

Share/Bookmark

Update on my short I told you all about...and an invite to L.A. screening

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hey guys...

A while back, I let you all know about a short film that I was not only the composer on, but it was also the first film I have produced (with others).

The previous thread where I uploaded pics was here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25128
    (The photo links have since been removed)

Well...the film is now completed. We even went through a film title name change. The 16 minute, 35mm comedy short is now called THE RECE!PT. If you liked RUN LOLA RUN, you will like this homage. It stars Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars, Reefer Madness) and Dina Meyer (Dragonheart, Starship Troopers) and Matthew D. McCallum in the lead role of LENi. The film will also be screening at 2 festivals coming up. The Los Angeles International Short Film Fest at the Arclight in Hollywood, Sept 6-14th. And, the 25th Breckenridge Festival of Film in Breckenridge, CO, September 8-12th.

We have a private cast and crew screening and party coming up and any of you L.A. area folks who would like to attend, I would be happy to put you on the guest list. Just email or private message me with an RSVP as soon as possible. It will be held on Tuesday August 23rd, 8PM at Monroe's Bar in West Hollywood. See our film's website for more info or email me. Our website has updated info www.thereceipt.com (Actual screening will begin around 8:30-8:45PM).

Also...after the screening (around 10PM)...the Los Angeles based rock band BORNE will be performing. You can check out their site at www.borne-music.com. They have a song over the closing credits of the film and will be performing that song and a lot of new songs from their new album which will be released in early September. They are a really good rock band I can guarantee you will enjoy.

So...L.A. folks...if you would like to go, let me know and I will make sure you get on the list to get in. If you are not on the list and have not RSVP'd, the bouncer guys will not let you in. It will be a fun night, you will get to see a funny short film, you will see a lot of stars there...and will hear some great live music for free. (Of course...the liquor is not free...but getting in is.)
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Update on my short I told you all about...and an invite to L.A. screening

Brian,

Congratulations! Someday soon I can tell people I knew you when you were up and coming...and you can say, "Wes? Who's that?".

Wes

Congratulations, Brian!

I grew up in LA. I'm glad to have escaped. But I wish I were there for your screening!

Best wishes for a great reception.

-JF

Thanks Wes and Jon for your kind words. This film has been a labor of love for many and after all we have gone through in getting it done...it is hard to believe it is done. Now it is out there and people will see it. It is always hard right before lots of people see your "blood sweat and tears" for the first time. You all know how that is. And we shot it almost a year ago...it seems so long. I even had other major projects that I did in between and now I am back to this.

The goal for the audience is for them to simply be entertained. The goal for us was to learn more by doing it, and also for it to be a calling card of sorts for our little group of friends. Response has been good so far for some behind the scenes private screenings. We'll see. Like most things in this town, I'll believe it when I see it. But we are off to a good start so far with it.

I just get to sit back, relax and see where it all takes us...oh....and help plan and execute the party. Oh yeah...have to get on that.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Hey Ern,

The L.A. Shorts fest has not announced their screening schedule yet. The festival is Sept. 6-14. The last day I believe is just partys and ceremony...and we can probably safely assume that we will not be on any opening night screenings () so...any time from September 7-13 we could be screened. We will post info on our page as soon as we know. And...the L.A. shorts website will have it soon too. (www.lashortsfest.com) They have told us they will have it posted by mid August.

We are pretty excited to have our film screened on the huge, state of the art screens at the Arclight. It may be possible for us to screen in a Hi-Def digital projection too. We mastered our film that way (which most shorts do not even attempt)...so we have the ability. It will be a question of whether we are scheduled on a screen there that can take that format or not.

The cost there I believe is $10 to get into the screenings which will cover everything in that time slot's block of shorts. So...you will get to see our short along with probably 6 or 7 others for about $10.

I'll let you know as soon as I know more info on the Arclight screenings.

Have fun on your trip. Too bad you can't come to the screening party Ern. You would enjoy the band there I am sure.

Oh yeah...the priest thing. We needed more extras. So...I suited up. Of course at the time I was about 15 pounds heavier...so when I see it now on the screen I cringe. It is not a speaking part though and I literally go by in a flash with a group of other priests (most of which are actually Jewish in real life). Kind of funny that day was...a bunch of Jews standing around dressed like catholic priests. They got a kick out of it and made me laugh...that is for sure.

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

So Brian,

How many minutes is the film, and, more importantly, how many feet of 35mm film did you shoot? Im sure that it wasn't just a labor of love, it was likely a budget of love!

My son just called me after pricing 16mm film rentals. The camera cost wasn't bad, but the film cost scared him. His friend's Cannon GL2 is starting to look pretty good to him about now...

-JF

Jon,

The film is 16 minutes long. The final Answer Print is 1440ft of film. But of course, we shot a lot more than that. I would have to go back and look at the camera reports, but I want to say we shot between 20,000-30,000 feet of 35mm film. On one day we had 2 cameras going at once, one on a Steadi-Cam and the other handheld.

The trick is to use short ends. You have to make sure the short ends are in good condition and do snip tests on them before you use them. But...in L.A., short ends are not that hard to come by and their quality is generally good. We were literally getting rolls of 35mm short ends from large "blockbuster" films that had a bunch of unused film stock after shooting.

The only problem with short ends is you run the risk of running out in the middle of a shot as you never "really" know how much is left in the canister. A couple times I remember a shot going so well and saying to myself..."that's it, that's the one" and then the damn camera would roll out in the middle of a line and we would have to reload and try again. And it is a miracle that we literally used ALL of our film. In the final scene in the movie, the last 20 seconds or so was all done in one take as we knew that we only had one roll left. We rehearsed it A LOT to make sure that everyone knew exactly what they were doing. We could not spare the film for another whole take. Once everyone was comfortable, we shot it in one take...we finished...camera rolled out...film was in the can. It is so hard to do ANYTHING on the set of a comedy in one take. All it would take is one person to get the giggles in that shot and it would be all over.

Then of course, there is the developing. Ours was all done at FotoKem. They are very good. We used Arriflex cameras from Byrns & Sawyer.

Yes...it was all not cheap, but let's just say the we pulled in A LOT of favors from almost all areas of this town and got the cost down to something manageable. If one can shoot on film, I would highly encourage it. While I reconize that digital and HD is the future...there is something about shooting on film that I feel gives a filmmaker a certain level of...sometin' somthin'. If you know what I mean. Film just looks different, even compared to HD. If one is using video as an effect, that is fine. Of course, cost is a consideration. But, shooting on film makes one commit to things a lot more, as once the film is exposed, that is it. You can't do it over again without incurring more cost with more film stock and more development costs. And then there is the issue of the Telecine process to get the film in the digital realm for editing on an Avid, etc...And if you want to master and color correct in HD like we did, there is teh 2k or 4k scan, etc...It is the same process Amelie used.

I could go on and on...it is so fascinating...and costly...that is for sure...
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Wah hoo! 20,000 - 30,000 ft at list price would be... well... lots!

Short ends, huh? That could work, if we can come by 16mm ends in Portland...

Thanks for the tip! It would be way cooler to shoot this on film than on tape.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W. Ralston
    Oh yeah...the priest thing. We needed more extras. So...I suited up. Of course at the time I was about 15 pounds heavier...so when I see it now on the screen I cringe.
    Sort of like Hitchcock you mean?

Congratualtions Brian. Any chance of a screening and party in North Dakota?
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast