• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finale 2006 for Mac and crackles

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2006 for Mac and crackles

Just got finale 2006 up and running. Nice integration of GPO! As soon as I set my 2 staffs to Steinway, the crackles started again. The DISABLE AUTO CONVERT TO 32BIT did not help.
    Finale was using 122% of the CPU (dual 1.42) and using 500mg real ram and 900 virtual ram.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I am running 10.4.1 now, have not had time to update profile.
    Jim

GPO, Finale 2006, Powermac Dual G4, 2 Gig ram, OS 10.4.1

Re: Finale 2006 for Mac and crackles

Quote Originally Posted by jimmol
    Just got finale 2006 up and running. Nice integration of GPO! As soon as I set my 2 staffs to Steinway, the crackles started again. The DISABLE AUTO CONVERT TO 32BIT did not help.
    Finale was using 122% of the CPU (dual 1.42) and using 500mg real ram and 900 virtual ram.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I am running 10.4.1 now, have not had time to update profile.
    One thing that can help: go to System Preferences>Energy Saver and set the CPU to Highest. The default is for "Energy saving" and it won't let the CPU as you would like.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    One thing that can help: go to System Preferences>Energy Saver and set the CPU to Highest. The default is for "Energy saving" and it won't let the CPU as you would like.

Hope this helps.

R. Pearl
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately, my Dual G4 Tiger preferences do not have that option under energy saver, only can tell it when to sleep.
    Jim

I did do some more work using CHUD. Seems the crackles are there whether you are using 1 cpu or 1 cpus. So the problem is now consistent, as opposed to earlier when it would be less of a problem with one cpu. It seems to happen mostly when using the steinway piano, although some songs show a bit with just instruments. Put the headphones on and the crackle is still there - would hate to have posted this problem because of a blown speaker/headphones.

I guess if no one else is having this problem, then it may just be my equipment.
    Jim

One solution I can vouch for is to start boosting ram......GPO is ram sensitive as is humanize........and that is a formula for crackles.........virtual ram has never really worked well for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    One solution I can vouch for is to start boosting ram......GPO is ram sensitive as is humanize........and that is a formula for crackles.........virtual ram has never really worked well for me.....
    With the Unix underpinings of Mac OSX, I do not believe there is a way for me to adjust RAM usage. It is supposed to take care of it automatically. If I could I would.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Jim

Re: perhaps there is a GPO or NI problem

I've had something of the same problems running GPO with Overture. I have more than enough CPU and RAM (OSX 10.3.9, G4800, 1.25GB RAM) but, inspite of this, one particular score had this crackling or stuttering problem for no apparent reason. I checked the CPU usage and the size of the samples , which was well within acceptable parameters. I've done several other scores since then and have not had the problem; it only happened when using certain combinations of samples. Due to this, I suspect that either GPO or Kontact is having a problem but I'm working around these issues anyway.

I'm hoping that the new version of Overture will alleviate this problem (somehow) but I know the Overture guys are not miracle workers.

Hi ronnbr,

This whole crackles issue has been talked about in a thead http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27220 and http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...4&page=1&pp=10 to name a few.
    I think in general, it all point back to NI and in my case, the Player not working well on dual processor machines or machines with hypertheading turned on. I guess I never thought if it as a GPO issue.
    Jim

Jimmol,

I am assuming you are using the new AU playback in Finale 2006, and not still using GPO Studio? Playback using AU instruments is much better for me than the old method. I no longer get much in the way of crackles, unless I'm trying to play back an entire orchestra at once.

Some things that might help:

1) In Finale's Mixer, reduce the global volume -- it is set too high by default, and can cause distortion if you don't reduced it. (Around 55-60 works best for me).

2) Reduce the polyphony of the piano. It's set to 64-note polyphony by default, and if you have trills or runs with the pedal down, it's easy to overload the Kontakt player. I find dropping to 32-note polyphony (or less if the piano is part of an ensemble) solves a lot of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad
    Jimmol,

I am assuming you are using the new AU playback in Finale 2006, and not still using GPO Studio? Playback using AU instruments is much better for me than the old method. I no longer get much in the way of crackles, unless I'm trying to play back an entire orchestra at once.
    I am using the Native instruments AU setup.

Some things that might help:

1) In Finale's Mixer, reduce the global volume -- it is set too high by default, and can cause distortion if you don't reduced it. (Around 55-60 works best for me).
    This seemed to help immediatly.

2) Reduce the polyphony of the piano. It's set to 64-note polyphony by default, and if you have trills or runs with the pedal down, it's easy to overload the Kontakt player. I find dropping to 32-note polyphony (or less if the piano is part of an ensemble) solves a lot of problems.
    I will need your help with this one. How do I do this?

Thanks
    Jim

Go Back to forum