• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity and attack

Share/Bookmark

Velocity and attack

When I play the instruments, I can see no difference in attack between playing low velocity notes and high velocity ones. The sounds don't change. Is there something I'm missing?
    Any help will be appreciated!

Re: Velocity and attack

The volume isn't going to, that's where the mod wheel (midi CC#1) comes in to play. Velocity only controls the 'note on' attack of the sample. It has absolutely no effect on the volume of the sustained samples.

Velocity DOES control volume on the short bowed, pizzicato, keyed and percussion instruments in GPO however.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    The volume isn't going to, that's where the mod wheel (midi CC#1) comes in to play. Velocity only controls the 'note on' attack of the sample. It has absolutely no effect on the volume of the sustained samples.

Velocity DOES control volume on the short bowed, pizzicato, keyed and percussion instruments in GPO however.
    I don't expect to have volume variations associated with velocity, but I'd expect to hear (for example) a slow attack string if I strike the key lightly, I'd expect a short attack string if I strike the key heavily. This just doesn't happen! The attack is the same regardless to the velocity. I can touch the key as a plume, or hit it like hammer and the attack is exactly the same! Is there some setting I have to check in order to have this fundamental function working?

Make sure your controller keyboard has it's velocity sensativity on. Some keyboards have a touch response on/off control.

I don't think GPO has a velocity on/off switch...unless I'm missing something...

BTW: welcome to the forum!

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Make sure your controller keyboard has it's velocity sensativity on. Some keyboards have a touch response on/off control.

I don't think GPO has a velocity on/off switch...unless I'm missing something...

BTW: welcome to the forum!

-Chris
    THanks, cptexas. I have velocity on, because, when I select for example a harp sound, it responds to velocity the right way.

Hey, guys. I've just discovered that velocity controls the attack of solo strings but not of string sections. Is it Possible?

Go Back to forum