• Register
  • Help

Topic: Horn sections with JABB?

Share/Bookmark

Horn sections with JABB?

I was talking with some of the guys in other threads about including different styles of music on the radio station, and this occurred to me. If it's not appropriate to discuss prior to the release of JABB I completely understand, but it seems to me that you should be able to create standard rock / pop / blues horn sections with JABB, such as the ubiquitous trumpet / sax / trombone section. Older bands such as Earth, Wind and Fire, Tower of Power, Chase, Chicago and more made horn sections an integral part of thier sound. And of course, there's always the Blues Brothers. Modern popular music is no exception. Strings about, of course, but a good horn section is a frequent flyer on the Billboard Hot 100.

I think there's an extremely large community of musicians, not of the symphonic persuasion, who might add JABB to their tool kit to produce contemporary music, and I'd really like to encourage that. Classical, Celtic, Jazz, Big Band Swing... this is all great stuff. However, it's also music that has only a small sliver of the listening market. If we could bring contemporary songwriters into the fold and introduce them to the wonderful world of Garritan libraries (and the outstanding community that we have here to support each other!), I think it would expand our population, and the exposure of our music, in huge way.

How many of you write pop / rock / r&b / blues or other 'pop' styles of music that would benefit from having a good horn section?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: Horn sections with JABB?

Just this past weekend a couple of buddies and I played Waynestock, a big party on 20 acres just ten miles south of Mount St. Helens. We don't have a drummer or horn section, so I programmed the backing tracks, including alto, tenor, trumpet and trombone. We used horns for the blues and some rock songs, including Van Morrison's Wild Night. I used Quantum Leap Brass.

For blues, R&B and rock I find that I don't need the rips, falls and other solo tricks. I mainly need a good tone, and the ability for the instruments to play as a section. Getting the attacks, durations and bends right is the key, as is finding the right balance between quantization and earthy randomness.

It's a great application for samples. They're not so exposed that they fall apart, but they add a nice dimension to a performance.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    I think there's an extremely large community of musicians, not of the symphonic persuasion, who might add JABB to their tool kit to produce contemporary music, and I'd really like to encourage that. Classical, Celtic, Jazz, Big Band Swing... this is all great stuff. However, it's also music that has only a small sliver of the listening market. If we could bring contemporary songwriters into the fold and introduce them to the wonderful world of Garritan libraries (and the outstanding community that we have here to support each other!), I think it would expand our population, and the exposure of our music, in huge way.

How many of you write pop / rock / r&b / blues or other 'pop' styles of music that would benefit from having a good horn section?
    Chris,

Musicians doing Pop/rock/R&B/Blues and other genres will certainly benefit having playable brass and saxes. Brass is very pervasive in popular music.

When JABB is released I think we are going to see a wide variety of demos in different styles and genres. Our musical banquet will have many more delicous treats. I can't wait.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    <snip>
    My main goal for JABB is exactly that... I grew up in "horn bands" playing BS&T, Chicago, EWF, and lots of other stuff with great horn parts. Heck, we added horn parts to stuff!

I use the Ensoniq Chicago library and Quantum Leap Brass right now, but I seldom get results I'm pleased with. That may be because I still have not learned how to write great horn parts, or it may be a limit of the tools available to me.

Given the tremendous increase in productivity (and, I'd like to think quality) of my arranging and composing activities after picking up GPO, I am very optimistic that JABB will have a similar impact.

That said, I am also looking forward to experimenting with that "Big Band" sound, something I do not yet have the tools to do effectively. I played in a big band in highschool, and I loved it. I have probably most of the major titles on the topic, and can't wait to try my hand! I may not be the next Nelson Riddle, but I will have fun!!!

Bill

will The JABB library come out before the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by aug25
    will The JABB library come out before the end of the year?
    No!

(only kidding )

I will certainly use JABB for horn sections in soca (soul calypso) tracks we are arranging/producing/composing both for our own band, but also for some west indian artists we collaborate with.

Mats

I plan to do original songs with rhythm section, horns , and vocals.

...along the lines of Earth, Wind, and Fire, Chicago, Seawind, Blood Sweat and Tears, Tower of Power etc.

-rob

"What is Hip" by TOP is one of the greatest songs of all time IMHO. How can you not feel uplifted (or sit still) when that song plays?

Go Back to forum