• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What will you compose with JABB?

Share/Bookmark

What will you compose with JABB?

As we're working on finding someone to fill Charlie's shoes and drink mimosas with Deirdre on our Composer Channel hosted shows, I'm also thinking forward to new themes for shows once we bring them on board. Before the year is out, a lot of you will have the new Jazz and Big Band library, and I was hoping you'd share what kinds of music you'll apply it to. As I talk to potential hosts, I'll also be getting a feel for who might fit well with what types of shows.

Of course, there's a couple of obvious categories for JABB. We already have plans for a time travel 1940s style show (complete with tinny announcer microphones and banter of the times) ala Glen Miller's WWII era radio broadcasts, featuring covers or originals in the style of the swinging big bands of the 40s. For the record, this was Gary's brainstorming, and I love the idea. I just wish I could take the credit for it and get away with it since I love that era of music.

The next obvious offerings are jazz oriented. I'm not a jazz guy myself so I can't speak intelligently about the genre, but I know there's many different styles under the general heading of 'jazz', and depending on how much material we get, we might be able to do shows in all those directions. Please feel free to make suggestions on themes or vibe for the various shows.

Another thing that comes to mind is New Orleans style Dixieland jazz (another personal favorite). Perhaps we can bring that to you "live from Bourbon Street". Tom, you did put some Satchmo and Al Hirt patches in there, right?

Those are the obvious styles of music that I can think of for JABB, but I have a feeling that there's much more application than this.

So far, the Composer Channel has been mostly symphonic in nature, and due to scheduling constraints we haven't had near as many hosted shows as I'd like to see. However, between bringing in new talent and the wide variety of new musical styles sure to be embraced through JABB, we're going to expand to a much wider range of listeners.

The more variety and cool shows we can do, the bigger the audience for everyone! And so, the question - what styles of music will you compose with JABB?
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: What will you compose with JABB?

I have a whole book on the Big Band swing era scores that I plan to render plus a plethora of my own. Yet, the greatest reason for me is to render all of Ricky Ricardo’s music including but not limited to, Babbalou!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I have a whole book on the Big Band swing era scores that I plan to render plus a plethora of my own. Yet, the greatest reason for me is to render all of Ricky Ricardo’s music including but not limited to, Babbalou!
    Styxx?! You got some 'splainin' to do!

Say, I wonder if it would be fun to do shows for all the theme songs and familiar tunes from the black and white, Leave it to Beaver era of TV?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: What will you compose with JABB?

Hey! What a great idea! I'm glad I thought of it.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey! What a great idea! I'm glad I thought of it.
    And in fact, you did!

I'm going to add a section to the web page for each new show giving credit to the people who come up with the show ideas!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Chris 'ol bean ... check your PM's (not PMS ... PM ' s!)
    Styxx

Well, I think that JABB will help in the writing of anything contemporary as well as jazz... I think if one of the goals of the music station is to expand its popularity through variety, possibly another step towards that is to play all kinds of instrumental music, whether or not it was composed with GPO or JABB... There are TONS of people out there releasing CDs either with synths or with real people, in different types of instrumental genres... The 3 main types of instrumental music out there fall into these categories:

Classical
    New Age
    Jazz

So, that might be a way to expand the listening audience of the station... Anyway, just my 2 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    possibly another step towards that is to play all kinds of instrumental music, whether or not it was composed with GPO or JABB...
    I totally agree about playing all kinds of music, and furthermore, it doesn't even have to be instrumental. Vocals are just fine!

However, the reason I created the Composer Channel in the beginning was to help Gary and the GPO community because of the friendly nature and good vibe of the people here. That's why we only feature music from people who incorporate some of the Garritan libraries in the music.

You also make a good point by mentioning New Age music, and it brings up an important point that people often overlook. Songs for the Composer Channel don't have to be 100% Garritan libraries. We only require that they're featured as a significant part of the song. In other words, it's not in the spirit of things to do an entire song without GPO and then just add a GPO cowbell.

That being said, there's no reason we couldn't have a lot of cool music, New Age and otherwise, that has synths, drum kits, guitars, vocals and more that also includes strings, horn sections or other instrumentations from GPO / JABB. In fact, such songs would merely highlight the possibilities, so I say bring 'em on!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

As regards mock-ups of existing charts, I've got my eye (ear?) on some that include:

Sammy Nestico (a la Count Basie Big Band)
    Bob Florence
    Tom Kubis

also, at least one Maynard Ferguson Big Bop Nouveu Band chart, and a couple of the classic trumpet duel duets like "Stardust", "Memories Of You", and "Bill".

Personally, I have no desire at this stage in my life to go anywhere near the "pop music" of Glenn Miller et al - having played this stuff in clubs for the best part of 25 years, I am a bit weary of them!

And of course, there are my own originals that will need re-working with JABB and I don't want to go anywhere near the topic of pigeon-holing with them.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Great stuff, Richard - the more variety (especially with original compositions), the better!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum