• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Next GPO Composing Competition?

Share/Bookmark

Next GPO Composing Competition?

When is it?

Re: Next GPO Composing Competition?

I'm thinking the deadlines are the same as last year. Its still kind of early yet. Maybe the October/November timeframe will yeild more information. I can't remember now when the last one was kicked off officially.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the JABB Benny Goodman / Glen Miller Classic - a big band swing competition!

Of course, that's just a request from one small voice...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Next, we'll need that "Ballroom" ambient sound for JABB.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Next, we'll need that "Ballroom" ambient sound for JABB.
    K-A-L-A-M-A-Z-O, oh what a gal!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I had the pleasure of playing in a local big band some years ago and have most of the charts still. The highlight of every evening was Pennsylvania 6 5000. Wish I had those days back. What the heck, I wish I had any day back except this one!
    Styxx

When I was in high school, in addition to the concert band, I played trumpet in the lab band. The director was an ex road musician who had his own swing band for years back in the day, so he had all those charts. Man, that was great stuff!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Next competition? Oh yeah! I missed the last one, but I will be in the next one, whenever that may be. I can't wait, this will be some fun.
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I can't remember now when the last one was kicked off officially.
    Yes, well, JB, I KNOW you remember the day it ENDED!!! You were up till some ungodly hour uploading entries to your ftp! (for which we were all thankfull!)

Last year's ended on the last day of November or was it the first day of December?. I can't remember.

I am not sure what time frame the new one will be in - I hope GPOA is released before then. I have begun a new piece that really could use those col legno strings and such!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Plans are underway for the next Competition.

The recent competition was a resounding success. There were about 200 entries. Four entrants had their work performed in concert by a live orchestra (and broadcast live over the internet) and many prizes of software/hardware were given to other entrants. The competition led people to the real orchestra - to real players. This was a main goal of the competition. It is easy to loose sight of the real thing when dealing with samples.

The winners have expressed how much the competition has benefited them. The winners have received significant media exposure and the competition has helped their careers by procuring jobs and educational opportunities.

More information about last year's competition can be found at http://www.garritan.com/competition.html
    ----------------------

The next competition....

We are busy planning next year's event. What I would like to do is to have the concert at Carnegie Hall in New York. It would also be nice to combine it with workshops, seminars in orchestration, musical tours in NY, etc.

It is a difficult and tedious process working out all the details but I think it can be pulled off. Our other options include doing it again in the Czech Republic, in Scotland or in the USA. I'll let everyone know more when I can.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum