• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sampletekk Tubed Rhodes vs. NI Elektrik Piano?

Share/Bookmark

Sampletekk Tubed Rhodes vs. NI Elektrik Piano?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried them both?

Its always a bit difficult to tell from the MP3 samples of each when they are playing different things. I'm tempted to get the Sampletekk Rhodes by tomorrow at the $75 introductory offer, but am also tempted to spend more and get the NI Elektrik Piano as it includes other instruments like the Wurli as well. The Scarbee RSP '73 is probably a bit too expensive for me (I missed the summer sale).

The Elektrik Piano is also attractive as it has its own GUI (I don't know, but psychologically I prefer to play something that has a GUI rather than just loading samples into Kontakt - shallow I know!!! )

And of course, I'm also interested if anyone has compared both the Elektrik Piano to the Scarbee R.S.P. '73! The SOUND ON SOUND REVIEW says "this is still the best set of electric piano/Clavinet samples I've heard to date, and believe me I've heard a lot" but I find it hard to believe the Elektrik is "better" than the Scarbee.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers

Len
    www.lenmusic.com

Re: Sampletekk Tubed Rhodes vs. NI Elektrik Piano?

The SampleTekk pre-order looks like a good deal. You may also want to check out the Dusty Electric Mk II (a downloadable library) from www.precisionsound.net . They’re running a 25% off sale atm so you could get it for just over $50. They also have a Wurly.

/Yoss

I have compared the Scarbee set (RSP & WEP) with the Elektrik Piano, and I find the Scarbee pianos far superior. That's why I bought those.

I haven't tried the Sampletekk, so no opnion about those instruments.

NI does however include a clavinet for a very interesting price, which might be an advantage for you. But if you're looking for the most realistic reproduction of a Rhodes and a Wurlitzer, Scarbee is IMHO the way to go.

I realize this is OT in a sample forum but anyone who is interested in Rhodes and Wurly sounds should definitely get the freeware VSTi:s Mr Ray and Mr Tramp from www.soundfonts.it . Don’t be fooled by the url, these are not soundfonts but physically modelled instruments and sound great. It still amazes me that they’re being offered as freeware (the developer will accept donations ).

Windows only, I’m afraid.

/Yoss

I can't comment on the SampleTekk Rhodes, but have tried both the NI and Mr Ray products. Neither come close to Scarbee's RSP 73, but the price is certainly right with Mr Ray. Funny thing about Mr Ray...there is a very dominant and goofy hammer "thwack" and it can't be adjusted (or have I missed something?). Very annoying. If that were fixed, Mr Ray would be worth a closer look...could combine with Scarbee's VKFX for a poor man's vintage keys fix

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I can offer some comparisons, because I use all three of the products you're asking about.

The Scarbee samples are excellent. No reservations, they feel great under the fingers, and sound and respond incredibly well. In the case of both the Rhodes and Wurlitzer, you'll feel as if you're playing the real thing, only with much more control. They are both very "ideal" versions...as if you were playing a more than perfect, fresh out of the box, instrument. No dog notes.

The Sampletekk Tubed Rhodes is warmer and more up-the-middle than the Scarbee Rhodes, which sounds a little more spread (they're both mono instruments). The Tubed Rhodes is also deeply and exquisitely sampled, so you are getting a great, playable instrument.

The NI Elektrik Piano is also great. You get more instruments, but less coverage (not as deeply sampled). So, you don't get quite that same physicality of touch as the Scarbee and Sampletekk instruments provide, but nevertheless a very good sounding set of instruments with nice sounding effects. There are a few Rhodes patches in Elektrik Piano which are to die for. I forget which of the pianos it is, but it's done with very "close" pickups, and it has that classic "ballad" intimacy...you can hear the rubber in the hammers very well, that little "slap" that takes chorus so well.

So, I guess I am saying that it really comes down to what you're looking for. They're all good. The Scarbee and Sampletekk instruments are more esoterically sampled. The NI instrument has more variety, but is not as deeply sampled. All good, all different, all really fun to play.

Wow Bruce, thanks - that was precisely the analysis I was looking for. (Of course, thanks to all others who have chipped in also).

I would love to be in your position and own all three! But I cannot justify that. Its a tough one because not only does the NI Elektrik come with 4 instruments, it also comes with effects (chorus etc). So its like a cheaper version of the Scarbee RSP 73 plus Wurli plus Vintage Keyboard FX. But of course its a lot more expensive than the $75 Sampletekk!

Argh - decisions, decisions...

Thanks a million again.

Len
    www.lenmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    The SampleTekk pre-order looks like a good deal. You may also want to check out the Dusty Electric Mk II (a downloadable library) from www.precisionsound.net . They’re running a 25% off sale atm so you could get it for just over $50. They also have a Wurly.

/Yoss
    Just thought I'd chime in and give my 2 nickles worth.

I love my Dusty Electric Mk II. Its probably one of my favorite purchases from Precisionsounds. Right up there with the Swedish Keyharp.

I hate to ask, but in your humble opinions where do the Wizoosounds fit in? I'm thinking of their "Platinum" disk.

TIA

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    ...anyone who is interested in Rhodes and Wurly sounds should definitely get the freeware VSTi:s Mr Ray and Mr Tramp from www.soundfonts.it .
    /Yoss
    Even better, look on the same site for Mr Ray 2.2 from this page - it's got all the controls as a modeling synth. I prefer it to anything else I own right now, not because it's "better" or more accurate, it's not. RSP 73 is great for Giga, probably (IMHJO) the best/most accurate; I also like Franz' Rhodes samples, but MrRay22 has lots of archetypical electric piano style that I can really have fun with. Do you want accurate, or do you want truly unique character and style? (Not that you can't get that with Scarbee, you certainly can, this is just a different beast like comparing apples and pcs.

Sorry, I've pulled this way OT, my apologies.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum